Who is the Sharks best all around player

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Hi shark fans.
I absolutely think the team can have a big bounce back season.
Lots of talent all around..
I have just one question for the fans that know the answer.
Who is the Sharks best all around player as of right now/ today.
Maybe a top 5 ? If possible.

Thanks all!!!!

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
If you didn't add the last sentence, I would have said Marleau (good defensively, speed, goal scorer, great possession numbers, PK, PP, etc.), but he had an off-year, so probably either Pavelski or Thornton.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
As of right now I'd say...

1. Joe Pavelski
2. Joe Thornton
3. Logan Couture
4. Marc-Edouard Vlasic
5. Brent Burns/Patrick Marleau

Vlasic would be ahead of Couture if you hadn't said all around player. Hard time choosing between Marleau and Burns. If Marleau had a better season last year he would be ahead of Burns, but I just don't know how much he'll bounce back.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Last Year?
1. Thornton
2. Couture - His PK work puts him well above JP IMO
3. Pavelski
4. Burns - Defensive missteps offset by amazing offensive production
5. Marleau - Terrible year by Marleau standards

This year, I hope Marleau is back in the discussion for #1. Sharks are going to need it if they want to make it out of the 1st round.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
1. Thornton
2. Pavelski (#2 because he wouldn't produce like he has historically without Thornton)
3. Vlasic
4. Couture
5. Marleau (he may surpass Couture this year if he rebounds)

Lezgosharkz13

Jul 21, 2011
Vlasic is our most valuable player on the ice and @ 4.2 AAV thanks to him taking a home town discount (what a guy) making him the best "all around" player for the Sharks organization.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Vlasic needs to provide some offense for me to consider him an all around player. It also annoys me that he backs out of the zone as soon as the puck comes within a mile of the offensive zone blue line.

alex716

Jan 10, 2014
Joe Pavelski without a doubt. Best goal scorer on the team. Slightly worse at faceoffs than Thornton, but both guys are elite, and there's very little difference. Good playmaker. This is where I think most people are underrating him. When playing with Thornton he fills in the role of the gritty sniper, but he can do so much more than that.
He have always done well and produced when not playing with Thornton. Not quite at Thornton's level, but there's only so much you can do on the 3rd line. And he always carries team USA internationally.

What puts him ahead of Thornton is his offensive versatility. He can play a bunch of roles at an elite level, and he have a gift when it comes to finding chemistry with and complimenting other players. And he's got a better engine (mostly because of age) and better PK.

Vlasic and Couture is close in my book, but Vlasic had a stronger season. Who knows what will happen next season though. The entire top 5 is really good.

1. Pavelski
2. Thornton
3. Vlasic
4. Couture
5. Marleau

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
1. Thornton-Does so much for the team possession-wise, also 1st PP unit QB
2. Vlasic-Pretty much handles the tough defensive minutes
3. Pavelski- Great chemistry with Jumbo, does a little bit of everything
4. Couture-Needs to be better defensively this year
5. Braun-Shutdown pair with Vlasic, can play both sides effectively

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Pavelski, Couture, and Marleau are the only guys I would even consider in the conversation for best all-around player. Thornton provides very little defensive contributions...his is best defense is good offense which is fine but he isn't much defensively. Vlasic doesn't provide offense to be considered. Burns doesn't provide defense to be considered. Everyone else just isn't good enough.

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
Last Year?
1. Thornton
2. Couture - His PK work puts him well above JP IMO
3. Pavelski
4. Burns - Defensive missteps offset by amazing offensive production
5. Marleau - Terrible year by Marleau standards

This year, I hope Marleau is back in the discussion for #1. Sharks are going to need it if they want to make it out of the 1st round.

Marleau hasn't made a meaningful contribution in the first round since the last time they played Nashville.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Marleau hasn't made a meaningful contribution in the first round since the last time they played Nashville.

sharkswinseries.gif

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

I am pretty sure 5 points in 4 games. 4 of them being goals. 1 of thise goals being a game winning goals which also was a series clinching goal. Would be counted as meaningful.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
top 5 dead or alive and that's just off one LP

pavs
couture
jumbo
burns
marleau

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
If you had asked who has the most upside potential for improvement over last season, it's a toss up for me between Marleau and Hertl.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
If you had asked who has the most upside potential for improvement over last season, it's a toss up for me between Marleau and Hertl.

And now you jinxed it. Now it's gonna be Tierney with the unexpected 70 point Selke season while Marleau gets old and Hertl takes a knee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad