News Article: Who is the Rangers #1D?

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
When everyone is healthy, McD. And that's not a knock on Staal at all, he's a heluva player. McD is just ridiculous.

I'd say the fight between MDZ and Girardi is a tighter battle then the article suggests. I love Girardi, though he has't always been the most consistent and he's been blessed with some outstanding partners in Tyutin, Staal, and McD.

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
If Vigneault applies a more uptempo style then it's going to be McDonagh going away, purely because of his skating ability. I feel like McD's offensive instincts were hampered a bit under Torts, and a more attacking/transition system will encourage him to join or even start the rush more often. And what's so great about McD is that his recovery skills are maybe the best that I've ever seen out of a Rangers defenseman. We've seen him get beat or caught out of position in the neutral zone before, but his speed allows him to make up that ground more often than not.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
When everyone is healthy, McD. And that's not a knock on Staal at all, he's a heluva player. McD is just ridiculous.

I'd say the fight between MDZ and Girardi is a tighter battle then the article suggests. I love Girardi, though he has't always been the most consistent and he's been blessed with some outstanding partners in Tyutin, Staal, and McD.

Staal was even more ridiculous than McDonagh when he was at his best. We'll see what happens if he's healthy.

As for Girardi, is he blessed because of those partners? Or were those partners blessed because of him? Girardi isn't a better defenseman than Staal or McDonagh, but he's definitely a more valuable one.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

IMO McDonagh and Staal are better players than Girardi but I wouldn't say the same about Tyutin. Fedor's a very good player more or less on a par with Girardi. Rangers D with all four of those guys though would be something. That Zherdev deal really bit us in the ass.

SupersonicMonkey*

http://snyrangersblog.com/2013-14/2...the-dan-girardi-market-with-impressive-stats/

Since joining the Rangers full time in 2007-08, Dan Girardi has played the third most games of any defenseman with 455. He is behind Jay Bouwmeester, 457, and Chris Phillips with 454. Counting all skaters, Girardi is fifth on the list with Andrew Cogliano and Henrik Sedin both played 458 games.

Since 2007-08, Girardi has the seventh most ice-time in the NHL for defensemen with 10,553 minutes.

Since 2010-11, Girardi ranks 4th in ice-time for defensemen with 5,288 minutes.

Girardi is only "adequate". LMFAO.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Do you think he plays a lot because hes a legitimate top tier NHL defenseman?

Or because:

1. He plays the right side on a team bereft of RD
2. Hes been able to ride shotgun with Staal and McDonagh for years
3. Hes played for a coach that generally gives big minute to his top 4 defensemen (see #1).

Im not saying Girardi isn't valuable to this team. He is. But hes not a top pairing defenseman via NHL standards without the help of Staal and McDonagh (who are). Its been a rollercoaster ride whenever Girardi is paired with anyone else.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Staal's best is slightly better than what I've seen from McDonagh and hands down better than Girardi. Which isn't a knock on either of them I just think Staal has done a better job of putting all his skills together and playing dominant hockey for longer stretches. It's been said a million times but it really, really is a shame his last two seasons have been cut short by injuries.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Staal's best is slightly better than what I've seen from McDonagh and hands down better than Girardi. Which isn't a knock on either of them I just think Staal has done a better job of putting all his skills together and playing dominant hockey for longer stretches. It's been said a million times but it really, really is a shame his last two seasons have been cut short by injuries.

He was playing the best hockey of his career before that freak eye injury.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
That's just wrong. And the numbers don't bear it out.
He has missed less shots than more established Dman that these boards rave about. Take a look.

He has 41 missed shots, ranked #24.
Behind
Dan Boyle (57)
Pieterangelo (57)
Big Buff (56)
Doughty (55)
Yandle (55)
Chara (54)
Weber (52)
Edler (47)
Voynov (45)
Zidlicky (45)
OEL (45)
Jack Johnson (42)
PK Subban (42)
Carlsson (41)
Shultz (41)
Shattenkirk (40)

So before you recycle a meme repeatedly posted on the GDT, check the numbers.

You may be right but this alone certainly wouldn't prove it. You know what would much more? %. Can't believe you went to all this trouble and then didn't use the right metric... but HE'S the one leading a conspiracy to take down MDZ right? Tin foil hats everyone has it out for the whipping boy! Hey I only missed 5 shots. problem is I took 5 but it's ok MDZ has worse accuracy than me because he missed 41 :sarcasm: Sorry for the grouchiness but my God just because people called you out for using a kinda spotty method to backup your argument that doesn't mean everyone is on some bandwagon to attack MDZ or something. Might there be an unfair, overwhelming number of people who are motivated to attack MDZ and "e"scapegoat him? Yea I'm sure but that's because the people here are pretty illogical and emotional. Being equally, if not more, illogical and emotional only kills your arguement

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Does this list include purposely missing the net to draw a nice rebound/ looking for tips from sticks? If so, that throws everything out the window.

You mean evaluate players based on more than a single stat and refrain from jumping to wild conclusions about people's motivations for criticizing one single aspect of a player? You're crazy. Logic. Puh! I don't even have that big of a problem with MDZ. I'm disappointed he hasn't brought the offense but also perfectly pleased with what he has brought which is NHL caliber defense.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Insinuating that hes a 1st pairing D-man without Staal or McDonagh is whats ignorant -- it shows an astoundingly simplistic view of analyzing player value.

Reading some of your responses to stuff is painful sometimes dude it's like you extrapolate meaning that isn't there all the time, constantly attack, attack and attack everyone without reason and rarely provide any kind of decent explanation or discussion point

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Reading some of your responses to stuff is painful sometimes dude it's like you extrapolate meaning that isn't there all the time, constantly attack, attack and attack everyone without reason and rarely provide any kind of decent explanation or discussion point

I dabble in reality and often do attack the fluff around here. Fluff like inflating Girardi's overall value outside of the vacuum of this team. Theres plenty of explanation in this very thread. Just gotta look, dude.

Bardof425*

Nice that someone else noticed.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
I dabble in reality and often do attack the fluff around here. Fluff like inflating Girardi's overall value outside of the vacuum of this team. Theres plenty of explanation in this very thread. Just gotta look, dude.

I'd suggest that since you often attack people without reason that you are in fact NOT even dabbling in reality on many occasions since there is no reason in reality for you to launch volleys at many of these people. I believe one person asked for other people's opinion and you harangued him for coming to a conclusion in one thread. This was a good and recent example of your attacks seemingly not even reflecting the thing/reason you are attacking. Maybe you should talk to someone or something dude there's no rational reason to be this insulted this often by other people's opinions...

Believe it or not, I take it as a badge of honor and notch to my credibility that you two feel this way.

Did you just reference HF credibility while defending your constant insults of people on HF? :laugh:

Garfinkel1

Jun 28, 2008
CT
Staal will be the clear #1 defenseman by the end of the season. He'll be back to form and then some.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Either way, it's a blessing that we can have a shut down pair of Girardi and Staal or McDonagh, while the other can be on the second pair and shut down the other team's main 2nd line threat. Especially comes in handy when we play Pittsburgh and Malkin or Crosby or both are on the ice for roughly 40 of 60 minutes.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Either way, it's a blessing that we can have a shut down pair of Girardi and Staal or McDonagh, while the other can be on the second pair and shut down the other team's main 2nd line threat. Especially comes in handy when we play Pittsburgh and Malkin or Crosby or both are on the ice for roughly 40 of 60 minutes.

Staal - Stralman would make a physical shutdown line with some offense. Hip checks for everyone!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Do you think he plays a lot because hes a legitimate top tier NHL defenseman?

Or because:

1. He plays the right side on a team bereft of RD
2. Hes been able to ride shotgun with Staal and McDonagh for years
3. Hes played for a coach that generally gives big minute to his top 4 defensemen (see #1).

Im not saying Girardi isn't valuable to this team. He is. But hes not a top pairing defenseman via NHL standards without the help of Staal and McDonagh (who are). Its been a rollercoaster ride whenever Girardi is paired with anyone else.

The problem I have with this argument is it neglects the fact that Girardi for the past several seasons has been an absolute workhorse even if mostly paired with Staal and McDonagh--and he's constantly on the ice at even strength or in shorthanded situations against the best players in the league. He doesn't get injured. He doesn't take lots of penalties. We know that Henrik is a great goalie but he wouldn't be quite the same without the d corps in front of him. Girardi as the best right D is a major component of that d corps. He is not without flaws and even occasionally has a bad game. I would rank him after both McDonagh and Staal but IMO after Girardi is where the drop off is not before and I like Stralman as well but he's not near the level of the other three.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
My immediate reaction- who are these guys and where in the bloody hell are they when the Swedish kid is either stealing hearts and/or fed to the dogs...

We need a change there..GOOD! Other teams should be interested in giving some of their more expensive pieces of reliability in exchange for ours.

I don't care what anyone says, I can't help but remember what I typically have complained about for the last 20 years(save a VERY select few of course), and that's the absence and/or p***yfication(refCarlin) in front of the net.

Drewbackatu*

My immediate reaction- who are these guys and where in the bloody hell are they when the Swedish kid is either stealing hearts and/or fed to the dogs...

We need a change there..GOOD! Other teams should be interested in giving some of their more expensive pieces of reliability in exchange for ours.

I don't care what anyone says, I can't help but remember what I typically have complained about for the last 20 years(save a VERY select few of course), and that's the absence and/or p***yfication(refCarlin) in front of the net.

Amen!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4