Who would be number acquisition

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
John Carlson.

A big, RH defenseman who can munch minutes and make the Flyers PP even more lethal, giving us 2 PP units that can explode. If Ghost is going to continue QBing PP1, the Flyers could feature Provorov-Carlson on the 2nd unit, making it much more lethal.

Carlson is a 50-60 point defenseman, even on the Flyers with Ghost and Provorov.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
As a psuedo-Flames fan, here are my thoughts:

I'd be interested in Hamilton or Brodie but not at the expense of Sanheim or Myers. Taking back Brouwer certainly lowers the return. Would you have interest centered around Simmonds + 19 and Hamilton?

The Flames seem really set on an approach of building a core of players the same age. I am not sure they have interest in Simmonds given that he is older than the core, and would be a direct replacement for Ferland. I obviously would consider Simmonds an upgrade on Ferland, but from what I understand; the chemistry between Ferland, Monahan, and Gaudreau is top-notch and they don't want to break up that line.

Bennett is likely on the move, as he's still got a lot of upside but at this point his role on the team is being filled by Tkachuk. I'm not sure what he would fetch but I get the sense Treliving is more likely to try to move him for a pick than a replacement roster player.

You're looking at lines of

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - XXX
XXX - Lazar - Brouwer

Obviously some gaps but there are a number of prospects/bottom-6 guys kicking around like Shinkaruk, Mangiapane, Klimchuk, Poirier, Hathaway, and Foo with some longer shots like Dube and Phillips waiting to move in.

On the backend it looks like

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Stone - Kulak/Bartkowski

The Flames seem determined to keep Bartkowski in business at the expense of Kulak. They also have Andersson who looks ready for full time NHL action, Kylington is close, Wotherspoon is somehow still in the mix, and both Fox and Valimaki are fast-tracking to the NHL.

So it looks like the Flames are looking to move out AT LEAST 2 defencemen and Bennett. I'd be very surprised to see Ferland moved, but I suppose it's possible. Also looking like they want to add a first rounder, and if they can, one top-9 roster player.

Which is a long and circuitous route for me to convince myself that a Simmonds trade looks possible, and even likely. I hate speculating on value because it's hard to see things fairly but I could definitely see something like

Simmonds + 19 + F prospect

for

Hamilton + Bennett + Brouwer + 3rd

It's a big roster shakeup for both teams but opens some flexibility for the Flames and gets the Flyers younger. Thoughts? Am I close on value on this?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Which is a long and circuitous route for me to convince myself that a Simmonds trade looks possible, and even likely. I hate speculating on value because it's hard to see things fairly but I could definitely see something like

for

It's a big roster shakeup for both teams but opens some flexibility for the Flames and gets the Flyers younger. Thoughts? Am I close on value on this?

I'd be pretty happy with that trade, so long as the F prospect is not Morgan Frost, Isaac Ratcliffe, German Rubstov, or Wade Allison.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm not a fan of Dougie Hamilton, for a bunch of reasons that don't have much to do with logic or hockey, and even though I "watched" the Flames an absolute ton this season (they and Winnipeg are probably my favorite non-Flyers teams until Quebec returns) (**** you, Bettman), what I mostly did was "listen" to their games while I played a videogame. It seemed like I looked up and saw him ****ing up a lot, but I don't put much stock in that and would listen to people who tell me he's better than I think he is. I think there's a chance that there is something to this idea that he's not good in the room, but again, I'm not putting much stock in the idea. I just don't like the guy.

In general, I would be OK with moving #19OA (or #14OA) if Farabee is gone at 14 and we pick Berggren at either 14 or 19 (the one we didn't trade away). I'd far rather we get Farabee at 14 and Berggren at 19 and trade Simmer for a lesser haul. I'm having a hard time believing Bennett is going to live up to his promise (I thought he was going to break out last year), but he may be the kind of return we are looking at in a Simmer trade.

Reactions: Rebels57

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I still really want Nino Niederreiter. Hed be a great compliment to our forward group.

Minny has a lot up in tbe air so I feel like he can be had.

Reactions: The Madrigal

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
If we’re adding a top pairing defenseman, let’s go after Doughty or Karlsson. Having one of them along with Provorov and then Couturier/Patrick down the middle makes you an extremely tough team to play against.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
If we’re adding a top pairing defenseman, let’s go after Doughty or Karlsson. Having one of them along with Provorov and then Couturier/Patrick down the middle makes you an extremely tough team to play against.
If you trade Simmonds for a 1st + then you have 4 first rounders in the next two years.

I would easily trade 2 of them ++ for Doughty. I have no clue what his price would be.

Reactions: Rebels57

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

for

In a vacuum, if I had the slightest bit of interest in Bennett at market value, I would consider this, depending on the F prospect. I don't, so I wouldn't, but that doesn't make it less fair.

In practice, sadly I don't think Hamilton would mesh well with what they want on or off the ice and Brouwer would be given a lineup spot instead of buried.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Brouwer's last four seasons in reverse order: 43 pts, 39 pts, 25 pts, 22 pts. Soon to be 33 years old, two more years at a 4.5 million cap hit. That almost makes the Dale Weise contract tolerable by comparison.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Kovalchuk at 2 years 6 mil per would be a deal I would make.

They can affotd the over payment and Hextall loves his stop gap veterans...why not get a good one? Hed be a great veteran forward to play with a kid like patrick.

Reactions: Ruck Over

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Kovalchuk at 2 years 6 mil per would be a deal I would make.

They can affotd the over payment and Hextall loves his stop gap veterans...why not get a good one? Hed be a great veteran forward to play with a kid like patrick.
Because that's not the way Hexy operates?

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Hextall is very concerned about young player maturity. Useful vets don't have that drive that useless vets do, grasping for their last NHL paychecks, fighting for just one more year. It is all about being 100% sure the young players truly and deeply realize what it means to be a professional. (half :sarcasm:)

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Hextall is very concerned about young player maturity. Useful vets don't have that drive that useless vets do, grasping for their last NHL paychecks, fighting for just one more year. It is all about being 100% sure the young players truly and deeply realize what it means to be a professional. (half :sarcasm:)

That is honestly how he thinks though. Hes too obsessed with that bs.

CanadianSniper

Nov 11, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I would be thrilled if we could snag JT, but if not I would definitely be down for Kovalchuk on a 2 year ~6 mil contract. This lineup for next year wouldn't be awful.

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
Kovalchuk - Patrick - Voracek
Lindblom - Bozak - Simmonds
Raffl - Laughton - NAK

He could provide the goals lost if we decide to trade Simmonds as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->