Who is the NHL's Josh Smith?

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
Josh Smith wasn't terrible because of his advanced stats. He was terrible because dude could not choose when or where to shoot to save his life.

The NHL equivalent has to be somebody who shoots all the time despite it being a terrible choice.

Oh well then easily Mikael Samuelsson.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Josh Smith wasn't terrible because of his advanced stats. He was terrible because dude could not choose when or where to shoot to save his life.

The NHL equivalent has to be somebody who shoots all the time despite it being a terrible choice.

Evander Kane. /thread

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
You understand that shot selection shows up in your advanced stats, right? if your shot selection is bad, you'll have inefficient numbers.

Yeah I know that. His PER this year so far is a 14.2 (slightly below average, 15 being average), which kinda masks how inefficient he really is. Then again, not as well versed in NBA advanced stats, I am.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012

Post previously held by Jason Blake.

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
Manny Malhotra appears to be the worst possession player in the league getting any significant ice time, but that is to be expected considering his role in the league since his injury and where he starts he shifts. He's one of five centers with >10 gp with less than 20% offensive zone starts.

Eric Nystrom has never put up great traditional stats but I was pretty surprised to see him with a deplorable -32 Relative Corsi. He plays pretty tough competition with Gaustad, so maybe that is to be expected. His raw corsi numbers aren't that bad. I guess Colin Wilson's line, which has killed it on possession this year, drives Nystrom/Gaustad's off-ice team corsi upwards, which in turn lowers their relative corsi. Gaustad is another one of the five centers with >10 gp with less than 20% offensive zone starts, so a pass to him.

Another player I was surprised to see at the lower end of the possession stat column this season was Derek Stepan, especially considering he's been an excellent possession player in the past and he has been racking up the points as he usually does. He was injured to start to season and the Rangers are finally starting to put it all together so it's probable his numbers will start to resemble his career averages.
He has the lowest Corsi rate and relative Corsi on the rangers with -15.57/60 and -12.1 respectively. Also, it is worth pointing out that Brassard is the center on the Rangers who has drawn the toughest competition this year (he's been playing with Rick Nash a lot lately) while posting some pretty impressive possession numbers. I don't think any Rangers fan would say Brassard has been a passenger on Nash's line either -- he really has been a revelation.

Last edited:

nwaZ*

Is Josh Smith an MVP calibre player who can put up the basketball equivalent of 50 goals on a yearly basis? No? Thought not. You know nothing about hockey.

People always bring up Ovechkin in discussions about bad two-way play and stuff similar to that. This is a similar topic.

You know nothing about life.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
I believe Josh Smith has one of the worst (if not the worst) 3 pt shooting %'s yet keeps chucking. His long range 2's are also similar. He refuses to adjust his game. He should play off the ball more. In the NHL you would need to compare him to someone who carries the puck too much with poor results. A Scott Gomez type player (the last bunch of yrs).

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
People always bring up Ovechkin in discussions about bad two-way play and stuff similar to that. This is a similar topic.

You know nothing about life.

Ovechkin has literally nothing to do about this discussion. The OP literally did not understand why Josh Smith is a terrible player and made an assumption that it was purely based on his advanced statistics when instead the guy keeps on shooting despite it almost always being from a location that he can't hit the shot from or when there's a better passing play available.

Ovechkin does not belong in this discussion whatsoever as it has nothing to do with Corsi or 2-way play and even if you try to suggest that Ovechkin takes too many shots, he is at least the player who is the primary option in this extremely flawed comparison between two vastly different sports.

Do you want to bring up Jay Bouwmester or Travis Zajac here as well while you're at it?

nwaZ*

Ovechkin has literally nothing to do about this discussion. The OP literally did not understand why Josh Smith is a terrible player and made an assumption that it was purely based on his advanced statistics when instead the guy keeps on shooting despite it almost always being from a location that he can't hit the shot from or when there's a better passing play available.

Ovechkin does not belong in this discussion whatsoever as it has nothing to do with Corsi or 2-way play and even if you try to suggest that Ovechkin takes too many shots, he is at least the player who is the primary option in this extremely flawed comparison between two vastly different sports.

Do you want to bring up Jay Bouwmester or Travis Zajac here as well while you're at it?

I want to bring up Jack Johnson.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
I believe Josh Smith has one of the worst (if not the worst) 3 pt shooting %'s yet keeps chucking. His long range 2's are also similar. He refuses to adjust his game. He should play off the ball more. In the NHL you would need to compare him to someone who carries the puck too much with poor results. A Scott Gomez type player (the last bunch of yrs).
He has the worst shot selection. It's basically the equivalent of a defenseman pinching at the worst times.

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
I want to bring up Jack Johnson.

Okay how exactly is Jack Johnson like Josh Smith? Last I checked, Jack Johnson has nothing to do with poor shot selection and an insistence on shooting the puck all the time. Josh Smith is an example of a guy who can score from one small section of the playing field and then misses everywhere else but still shoots outside his comfort zone. Are you trying to tell me that Jack Johnson goes all Jason Blake and takes low quality shots?

You are literally ignoring what the actual point of the discussion is and just throwing out names that don't belong.

nwaZ*

Okay how exactly is Jack Johnson like Josh Smith? Last I checked, Jack Johnson has nothing to do with poor shot selection and an insistence on shooting the puck all the time. Josh Smith is an example of a guy who can score from one small section of the playing field and then misses everywhere else but still shoots outside his comfort zone. Are you trying to tell me that Jack Johnson goes all Jason Blake and takes low quality shots?

You are literally ignoring what the actual point of the discussion is and just throwing out names that don't belong.

Eh, **** off. Three people before me has brought up Jack Johnson in a serious way yet you attack me for bringing up Ovechkin in jest. :shakehead

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
Eh, **** off. Three people before me has brought up Jack Johnson in a serious way yet you attack me for bringing up Ovechkin in jest. :shakehead

Posts #4, 5, and 6 responding to a wrong pretext posted by the OP. People then explained why the topic was wrong and what being Josh Smith actually is. Then for some reason you brought up Ovechkin when he literally does not fit any of the criteria in the thread and was called out for it because of how bad it was.

nwaZ*

Posts #4, 5, and 6 responding to a wrong pretext posted by the OP. People then explained why the topic was wrong and what being Josh Smith actually is. Then for some reason you brought up Ovechkin when he literally does not fit any of the criteria in the thread and was called out for it because of how bad it was.

I blame the OP. :sarcasm:

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
You're all dead wrong. What's the problem, guys? Don't get the topic?

The topic is "good" players with poor advanced stats; which Johnson falls under.

The problem is that corsi and shooting percentages aren't very comparable. A player who chucked in Hockey like Smith tends to do wouldn't be penalized in the same way Smith's stats are in basketball. Thus, someone with good point totals and low corsi is the best comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad