Michael Russo: Who is the next Captain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

There WILL be a new Captain, as GMBG says he doesn't believe in holding off in naming one, so 3 A's is not an option...
Guerin says there’s no timetable to name a captain other than the decision will be made before training camp. So, likely soon.
Guerin has given no indication as to which player will receive the honor. And during a Zoom last Thursday with the Wild beat writers, he offered no hints other than this perhaps-read-between-the-lines quote: “I think for me it’s important that the captain is somebody who everybody respects, somebody that shows up every night, somebody that’s got the team’s best interest at heart and somebody you can count on. I think we’ve got some good options, I really do. We’ve got some good people here. It’s an important role.
Jared Spurgeon: 3-1

He’d be the antithesis to Koivu, both in size and demeanor. He’d definitely be kinder and gentler than the sometimes-surly predecessor, and local scribes and electronic media would love him because they wouldn’t have to walk on eggshells with every question after a loss.
Zach Parise: 5-1

In a lot of ways, Parise, who played his 1,000th career game back in February, makes the most sense.
Well, he has done it before.
Not only has he been “Captain America” for USA Hockey at the 2014 Olympics and worn a letter in Vancouver for the silver-medal-winning Americans in 2010, he wore the “C” for the New Jersey Devils at age 27 in 2012 and captained them to the Stanley Cup Final.
Marcus Foligno: 8-1

If Foligno, 29, had signed an extension this offseason by now, his odds would probably be higher.
Although, to be fair, Guerin did say on last week’s Zoom that he’d have no problem giving the captaincy to a player in the last year of his contract, and Guerin was well aware that the context of the question regarding “a player being in the last year of his deal” had to do specifically with Foligno.
Goes even more in depth than what I clipped. Goes on to give Suter 10-1 and the field 50-1

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Russo is a great reporter and all, but Im getting tired of him constantly whining about how mean Mikko was to him.

I think Spurgeon will be named Captain

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Russo is a great reporter and all, but Im getting tired of him constantly whining about how mean Mikko was to him.

I think Spurgeon will be named Captain
Yeah, his comments about having to walk on eggshells around Mikko after a loss get old.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Yeah, his comments about having to walk on eggshells around Mikko after a loss get old.
Yes I agree, but it isn’t like Russo is wrong. Mikko loved to win and when they didn’t Mikko wasn’t a good quote.

if Russo wants a good quote I think he is hoping for Parise since I can’t imagine Spurgeon will have much to say besides we need more pucks on net or the boys had a good win.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Whomever they choose, it does seem like we should find out pretty soon since GMBG says they will have it decided before camp.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I think Russo does a good job. Better than most other NHL beat writers, IMO.

Im just bored by his constant whining about Mikko every time the subject of team captain comes up.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I think Russo does a good job. Better than most other NHL beat writers, IMO.

Im just bored by his constant whining about Mikko every time the subject of team captain comes up.

Russo is the best in the business in some areas. Having a pulse on the Wild, and news surrounding them mainly. If he says "The Wild are thinking this", I believe it.

His hockey analysis leaves much to be desired in my opinion.

Reactions: MuckOG

Mookie Blaylock

The in between is mine
Apr 16, 2014
Porch
Can't stand the Folignio narrative Russo keeps painting. Folignio is Clutterbuck, great to have on your bottom 6 but replaceable. Fans love em because he/they have heart and give it there all. And for some reason fans cling on to the low end talent. He's blue collar/loves the game/It's the way I'd play if I could have kept playing.

On topic, I say give it to either Parise/Suter. My guess is Suter doesn't care and Parise cares alot. So give it to Parise.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Shocking that Russo's 3 "favorites" are also the 3 guys that give him the most access to what he wants.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think if I were on the team and voting for my captain I would give the nod to Dumba based on the information I have now. However, given the uncertainty surrounding his future here, I don't see that happening.

I do think Suter gets it, realistically. He just seems to have that captain factor when it comes to the media interviews. I also feel like he's the most "respected" person on the roster in that Nick Lidstrom way (acknowledging very, very few players in the world can match Lidstrom in any capacity).

I'd actually prefer to see them wait until training camp is over and the roster is 100% set to see if someone like Eriksson Ek steps up and wants to take it. Though with Kunin gone, our choices here are extremely limited. I'd like to give it to a younger guy that the team can build around. Giving it to Parise only to see him be traded within the next couple years seems like a waste.

I don't think the captain has to be one of the best players on the team, so I'm not adamantly against Foligno having it, but he'll be off the roster before Suter is, so you run into the same issues as with Parise.

Spurgeon doesn't seem like as obvious a choice to me as he does to Russo and some others here. Sure, he's a veteran. Sure, he's reached out to Kaprizov to make him feel welcomed, but he doesn't seem to have that captain factor to me. Give him an A if Suter or Parise get the C, but I don't see him as a C.

Brodin is the only other potential option I see on the roster, and he is going to be around for a while. He's relatively young, so you'd be transitioning toward the younger core in a way, but I just don't see it with him either.

So my rankings would be:

Dumba
Eriksson Ek
Fiala (don't think he's even in the running, but for various reasons he's towards the top of my list)
Suter
Parise
Foligno
Spurgeon
Brodin

Reactions: fentonsbrainchild

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I still think its going to be Foligno. Its going to be his test to see if he's worth a decent reup. If he doesn't work its really no harm no foul this year imo.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
I see some appeal in giving Foligno the captaincy as a temporary solution. Then re-evaluate situation in 1-3 years from now to see if any of the core players step up to become the long-term captain.

If you go with someone like Suter/Spurgeon/Parise, I feel like you end up stuck with that choice long-term even if a better candidate shows up. You can't really strip the C without creating some unnecessary drama.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I'd say Zuccarello since Wild.com's Dan Myers has him as a top candidate :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad