Who is the most universally respected video game developer right now?

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Saw Subset Games mentioned a few times, that's a great choice. They've only released 2 games, and both are fantastic.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I think Nintendo is still plenty respectable. People overblow the not supporting smash thing. I don't think people understand just how weird and unmarketable smash pros are, even in the fighting game community. Like the one time they had these guys at a Nintendo event, the winner went on a tirade against Reggie after what was supposed to be a friendly 1v1.

Their games are still pretty good and can generally be relied on to get a complete experience.

Yes there is BS like Mario Ultra Smash and Amiibo festival, but just generally speaking they're pretty good.

However, my vote goes to from software.
Smash is supposed to be a fun party game. People who take it way too seriously scare me.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Smash is supposed to be a fun party game. People who take it way too seriously scare me.
The funny thing is a lot of these pros are so hardcore that they only play 1v1 final destination, to the point where they don't even know what the items do.

Like I remember watching a stream where one of them picked up an electrode and killed himself with it, like he'd never played with items on. This is an item that's been in smash since the N64.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'd argue that's a good thing, release a game when you have a good reason to, not just because it's been a while. If they don't have great ideas for a GTA game, then don't come out with one.

I mean, that's not why we're still nowhere near close to GTA VI. We're not getting GTA VI because GTA V still makes all of the money.

I haven't played a GTA game since 2014 now and I'm grumpy about it. f*** online and f*** Rockstar for abandoning the single-player community. Grumble grumble.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I mean, that's not why we're still nowhere near close to GTA VI. We're not getting GTA VI because GTA V still makes all of the money.

I haven't played a GTA game since 2014 now and I'm grumpy about it. f*** online and f*** Rockstar for abandoning the single-player community. Grumble grumble.

Yeah you're probably right about that, they might as well wait until the GTA online money starts drying up.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'm not even just talking about pro people, but the ones who will ask if you want to play smash and put it on final destination with no items every time.

My buddies and I got really into it over the spring and summer during lockdown. We still suck compared to those sweaty pro’s but games for really intense. We stopped playing with items after a while because after you play for long enough and get to a certain skill level they kinda ruin it competitively. We’ll play with them on every now and then though as they’re still fun.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I'm not even just talking about pro people, but the ones who will ask if you want to play smash and put it on final destination with no items every time.
No joke, the last several times I played with my friends they always turn items off and pick Omega (aka final destination) stages (4 player). They get bored after like 30 minutes, I beg them to turn on items and pick an actual normal stage, they resist because items are for scrubs and final destination is the only stage ever, but they do it anyways. Then proceed to actually have fun.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
No joke, the last several times I played with my friends they always turn items off and pick Omega (aka final destination) stages (4 player). They get bored after like 30 minutes, I beg them to turn on items and pick an actual normal stage, they resist because items are for scrubs and final destination is the only stage ever, but they do it anyways. Then proceed to actually have fun.
I usually have the same exact experience when I play. At least my friends pick battlefield form instead of FD though. I'll be like "why don't we switch it up and turn items on?" Items are good as long as the frequency isn't too high.

The worst are the people that insist on only playing Melee though. Like there's a game with similar mechanics, almost all the stages, all the characters, and more, yet they insist on playing the 20 year old version so they can take advantage of obscure exploits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad