Who is The Most Important Prospect in our system

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I think we can all agree that Fabbri is the best prospect and has the highest ceiling. Despite that, I think I'd have to go with Barbashev because of what he is capable of bringing in his all around game. I see him as being our long term Backes replacement. They both play similar styles of game, and I think having a Backes type player is a huge advantage, no matter what type of team system you play. As much as I love Stastny and Lehtera, losing Backes would create the biggest hole of the three centers.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I think the answer depends on your interpretation of the question. Mine is this: If you asked me "Kirk, if I took away all the Blues prospects and you could only pick one to keep, who would it be?" . Going by this interpretation I choose Robby Fabbri

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
Vacuum = Fabbri
"Crap, we need money to re-sign some guys" = Schmaltz & Parayko
Backes bolts for UFA = Barbashev

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Fabbri is most important - how far he reaches towards his high-end potential is key.

Then Binnington and Allen. Will one eventually develop into an NHL Top-ten goaltender?

Then, Parayko. Schmaltz and Barbashev. Will Parayko be that great pick that pans out with optimum development against the longer-shot odds?

Husso - If neither Allen, nor Binnington become abything more than an average NHL goalie, will Husso be better than that?

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I interpret the "most important prospect" from a positional perspective, meaning the position of the player is what is most important.

To me, goaltending is the most important position, so Binnington is tops for me. (I am not really considering Allen in this.)

After Binnington it is definitely Husso or Lundstrom or whomever takes the next developmental step. At this point it would have to be Husso.

OT: A few nights ago Binnington stopped cold the best player in the AHL (Pulkkinen) with an extremely quick left leg. Just one save, but WOW! But I've watched Allen do the same thing on numerous occasions, sooooooo..........

Quality goaltending depth is the best problem to have.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I interpret the "most important prospect" from a positional perspective, meaning the position of the player is what is most important.

To me, goaltending is the most important position, so Binnington is tops for me. (I am not really considering Allen in this.)

After Binnington it is definitely Husso or Lundstrom or whomever takes the next developmental step. At this point it would have to be Husso.

OT: A few nights ago Binnington stopped cold the best player in the AHL (Pulkkinen) with an extremely quick left leg. Just one save, but WOW! But I've watched Allen do the same thing on numerous occasions, sooooooo..........

Quality goaltending depth is the best problem to have.
I think both Allen and Binnington have the physical tools to develop into a Top-10 NHL goalie. Only time will tell if they will be able to cultivate the mental part of the game to go along with that. That more than anything except perhaps injury will determine whether these two end up being boom or bust. From the little I've seen, I think you could put Husso into that category as well, and we really only need one of these three to reach their ceiling.

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
Gotta be between Fabbri and Parayako for me. Fabbri has the potential to be a #1 center and I believe Parayako has the potential to be a #1 Dman.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Fabbri is 1, Barbashev is 2 for me. Imagine if those 2 turn into a Tarasenko/Schwartz duo?

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Fabbri is 1, Barbashev is 2 for me. Imagine if those 2 turn into a Tarasenko/Schwartz duo?

Fabbri certainly has the potential to be on Scwhartz's level, but I think our expectations for Barbashev need to be lowered significantly, even for potential. He can still become a very good player, but I don't think the skill level is anywhere close to Tarasenko. I thinm his ceiling is that of a 2nd line power forward who can hit 40-50 points...although I certainly hope he becomes more.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Fabbri certainly has the potential to be on Scwhartz's level, but I think our expectations for Barbashev need to be lowered significantly, even for potential. He can still become a very good player, but I don't think the skill level is anywhere close to Tarasenko. I thinm his ceiling is that of a 2nd line power forward who can hit 40-50 points...although I certainly hope he becomes more.

I can definitely see why scouts questioned his ability to score at the NHL level. I think he's a very safe bet to become an NHLer, but I think he's much closer to Sobotka than he is to Tarasenko.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I've watched as much as I can of Barbashev this last year. I don't get why they doubt him so much. I don't think he'll be a prolific goal scorer but the way he scores is simple...garbage goals, goals from 10 - 20 ft out. He's got a good shot and release, just skills that are hard to shut down, especially with his build. Idk....i guess that's why I'm not a scout lol

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think Barbashev can produce on a Backes level. But yeah not PPG, though I never expected him to anyways.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Fabbri certainly has the potential to be on Scwhartz's level, but I think our expectations for Barbashev need to be lowered significantly, even for potential. He can still become a very good player, but I don't think the skill level is anywhere close to Tarasenko. I think his ceiling is that of a 2nd line power forward who can hit 40-50 points...although I certainly hope he becomes more.
I agree with the general direction of this but, I think his top end potential could possibly be as high 55-60.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I agree with the general direction of this but, I think his top end potential could possibly be as high 55-60.

This. I know Matty was just throwing a familiar name out there, but I do think he'll be more than Sobotka; at least offensively, that is. His ability to read or create a play with the puck is what concerns me. A player with his tools and work ethic should be able to destroy junior defensive systems regardless of the setup, but that doesn't mean he won't improve or transition better to the pro game.

With all of that said, my vote remains the same as it was in the off-season. Fabbri is going to do work because he has all the smarts of a player like Stastny with even better skating, stick handling, and shot. His lack of size will of course limit his effectiveness defensively as a center, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him as a winger...But his IQ in the offensive zone means he could play anywhere. When a player with a high skill level can reduce the game to purely a give and go scenario, you know they can rotate well in the offensive zone.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The question was - who is the most important prospect in our system.

I will try to make the case for Schmaltz.

Petrangelo has turned out to be a very good player for the Blues, but he isn't the star we hoped for. He hasn't progressed in the last couple of years. But we depend on him big time. He gets top minutes, quarterbacks the power play, kills penalties, plays on the top defensive pairing.

Schmaltz's reputation was that he was a top offensive talent. He has since developed his defensive game. Maybe he can be the elite defenseman we hoped Petrangelo would be.

BlueSinceBirth

Jul 4, 2006
The question was - who is the most important prospect in our system.

I will try to make the case for Schmaltz.

Petrangelo has turned out to be a very good player for the Blues, but he isn't the star we hoped for. He hasn't progressed in the last couple of years. But we depend on him big time. He gets top minutes, quarterbacks the power play, kills penalties, plays on the top defensive pairing.

Schmaltz's reputation was that he was a top offensive talent. He has since developed his defensive game. Maybe he can be the elite defenseman we hoped Petrangelo would be.
Petro is an elite defenseman. If you are expecting Schmaltz to come anywhere close to Pietrangelo I think you will be disappointed.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Petro is an elite defenseman. If you are expecting Schmaltz to come anywhere close to Pietrangelo I think you will be disappointed.

I'm not expecting it, I am hoping for it.

I disagree that Petragelo is an elite defenseman. He's very good, but he lacks the physicality to be elite, and his shot is way too erratic.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Pietrangelo has elite vision and IQ. He has developed his physical game though I believe he is working on it now. The Blues trainer said he doesn't really develop strength till 24-25. So over the next few years, Pietrangelo should develop a more respectable physical game. He certainly has the body to do so.

His shot....well yea that just sucks. He needs to stop trying to pick corners

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Here are my thoughts on some of the recent topics in this thread:

I don't see Fabbri-Barbashev being another Schwartz-Tarasenko. Fabbri is probably a little more offensively talented than Schwartz but not many can match Schwartz's hockey sense so I would think that Schwartz may stay the more valuable overall player long term between the two. And while Barbs appears to be a great pick for where he was taken in the draft, he has Jaskin, maybe Backes, type of potential. Not to the level of Tarasenko. All appear to be relative steals based on where they were taken in their respective drafts though.

Schmaltz has pretty high potential but it's incredibly unlikely he reaches Petro levels, let alone exceeds them.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
When I hear Fabbri/Barbashev being the next Schwartz/Tarasenko, I don't take it on projections of talent. More of 2 steals in the same draft close to each other. Hitting on 2 top 6 players in the same draft after #10 is getting it done.
Doing it twice with 15+ picks is great scouting

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I like physical players but you don't need a physical game to be elite, I don't know why people think that. Sure it might help but there have been a lot of star d-men who aren't very physical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad