Who is The Most Important Prospect in our system

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I figured I would start a discussion about the most important prospect in our system.

If you could pick one guy to reach his full potential who do you feel it is and Why?

Personally, looking at the team make up and our prospects in the system, I would go off board a bit and pick

Petteri Lindbohm

I did so for a couple of reasons. The importance of solid defense and the fact he is one of three left dmen that move the puck in the system. Our top 3 dmen are all righty's.

He can make a difference sooner and with Jacks getting older and the system we run...

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If I could pick one guy to reach their full potential? It's Fabbri because he's the one that has a ceiling of true game-changing ability.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Fabbri or Barbashev, depending on who the Blues like more as a center.

Blues have nothing but prayers beyond those two in terms of upside center prospects. Backes isn't getting any younger, and both Backes and Lehtera are UFAs after next year.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
when you say our top 3 dmen are all rightys.....

I assume he means Schmaltz, Parayko and Vannelli. Lindbohm is an odd choice because his upside is probably a tough #4D.

If we are picking 1 player to reach his full potential then Binnington is the answer. His full potential is a top-10 goalie.

If we exclude goalies, then Fabbri or Parayko. I prefer Schmaltz, because I've seen much more and do think he'll be a quality NHL player, but if Parayko has #2D potential with offensive instincts and a mean streak? Wow.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I assume he means Schmaltz, Parayko and Vannelli. Lindbohm is an odd choice because his upside is probably a tough #4D.

If we are picking 1 player to reach his full potential then Binnington is the answer. His full potential is a top-10 goalie.

If we exclude goalies, then Fabbri or Parayko. I prefer Schmaltz, because I've seen much more and do think he'll be a quality NHL player, but if Parayko has #2D potential with offensive instincts and a mean streak? Wow.

I picked Lindbohm, because I figured at the very least one of Fabbri or Barbashev will likely make it to the NHL in a top 6 role. I figure atleast one of the RD men will be top 4. We don't have much beyond Lindbohm on the left side. That is why.

I don't feel that he has the highest ceiling, just that we don't have much on the left side and there are more then a few prospects that can make a difference in the NHL at other positions.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Fabbri or Barbashev, depending on who the Blues like more as a center.

Blues have nothing but prayers beyond those two in terms of upside center prospects. Backes isn't getting any younger, and both Backes and Lehtera are UFAs after next year.

I remember JR and/or Korac writing in the preseason that the Blues project Fabbri more as a winger at the pro level. I would expect Barbs to stay a center.

Fabbri is the top prospect in the org IMO but I don't know if that makes him most important. I think it's key for the Blues that at least one of Schmaltz/Parayko reach their potential.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Barbashev or Letunov. They are our only hope for NHL quality center. If we're talking who will have the biggest impact if they reach their potential, it's Fabbri as he may legitimately develop into a star. His numbers compare quite favorably with some of the best players to be drafted out of the O in recent years.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Fabbri will definitely start at wing, and depending on our future center situation, will probably be treated like Schwartz. He'll stay at wing, but in training camps will be experimented at center and will serve as an emergency center if there isn't a dire need for him to be there full time.

Still the most important IMO because at his ceiling he can provide another top level dynamic offensive line with Schwartz and Tarasenko leading the other. Fabbri could be our version of Kane.

Last edited:

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Jordan Binnington

Without reading the thread I immediately thought of Binnington. I realize that he and Allen are only three years apart in age and developmental trajectory.

Both went back to Jrs for two seasons post-draft and then turned pro.

Allen spent four seasons in minor leagues (with a split of course in 12-13) and now he is with the Blues.

Binnington has two pro years under his belt at the minor league level and figures to have two more.

Watch him a lot and he is legit and provides insurance in case Allen falters.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
When I read the thread title I actually instantly thought of Petteri Lindbohm as well.

Fabbri is another great answer. Over the next two years we will likely move Berglund and maybe Oshie as well to be to afford Schwartz/Tarasenko long term. So we will need Fabbri to step up and be a good productive winger for the top 9.

Lindbohm is crucial for the exact reason you said. He's one of our few good lefty defensemen.

We'll need to give Shattenkirk 6 mil per year soon. That means Jackman and likely Gunnarsson are gone to help create cap space.
We have Jordan Schmaltz coming along but he doesn't seem like an ideal partner for Shatty. He's a righty shooter and more offensive than defensive. He has improved his all around game but he'll likely remind us of Shatty from 2-3 years ago when he first arrives.
Tommy Vanelli is another guy that will remind us of a young Shatty when he first arrives. That won't be for at least 3 years, though. He has a lot of work to do.
Colton Parayko could have a bright future but he is also a righty shooter.

I realize that being able to match a lefty with a righty shooter on defense can be a nice luxury for teams rather than a necessity. However, having that luxury would certainly be beneficial.

Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester are going to be the top pairing for awhile.

If Lindbohm can step in and be Shatty's partner in 2016-2017, we will be in great shape. Hell Lindbohm could have the potential to pair with Petro when JayBo leaves. Not as a legit #2 but just as a steady 5 on 5 partner. That's a discussion for two years from now, though.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Barbashev if he sticks at center. If he hits his ceiling he could be 65-70 point center with good two way play.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Fabbri will definitely start at wing, and depending on our future center situation, will probably be treated like Schwartz. He'll stay at wing, but in training camps will be experimented at center and will serve as an emergency center if there isn't a dire need for him to be there full time.

Still the most important IMO because at his ceiling he can provide another top level dynamic offensive line with Schwartz and Tarasenko leading the other. Fabbri could be our version of Kane.
I would gamble that we treat him like Galchenyuk, we don't need him as a center for a couple years, he can ride the wing and work on developing into a NHL center. I would project him to weigh in around 200lbs and at 5-10/11, with a very solid core and lower body. Matt Duchene comes to mind.

Since they wanted him to get in touch with MSL, I think he'll be pushed into developing tree trucks for legs and torso

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Gally was a lock to be a center though, where as Hitch likes big centers, so we will have to see what probably Muller prefers.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Fabbri is the best one, but as far as most important, it's either him or maybe Barbashev. I question Backes' future and Barbashev would be key at filling in there.

execwrite

May 4, 2002
Peekskill, NY
Visit site
Great question, good discussion.

There aren't many openings on the roster for the next five years, generally speaking.

I expect the three RHD men to all become NHL players, along with Rattie, Barbashev, Fabbri and Lindbolm.

I vote Binnington for the most important prospect. Not totally sold on Allen yet and I think Binnington's upside is higher.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Barbashev if he sticks at center. If he hits his ceiling he could be 65-70 point center with good two way play.

I like the optimism, but I think expecting 70 points from Barbeshev is asking a little too much.

I would say I believe Fabbri would be our most important prospect in accordance with whom ever said that he has the biggest game-breaking ability. His potential is 70+ points and I love his tenacity in the game. Both aspects the Blues have lacked in a prospect not named Schwartz or Tarasenko. To Fabbri's credit, I would say that neither Schwartz or Tarasenko have the same kind of nastiness/tenacity that Fabbri holds.

Fabbri is being developed into the perfect play-off weapon and that's really the short of why he's the most important to me.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
My pick is Husso. If he continue to develop in this rate how he has in last couple years this boy got big future on Blues.

Husso is 4th round #94 pick. That is going to be very nice robb.

Ofc we have Barbashev, Fabbri, Letunov, Vanelli. I don't think Lindbohm is anymore prospect and in next year he will be stud stay at home deffender on 3rd paird.

Somebody sayed Binnington, but seriously IMHO Husso is already same level with Binnighton. Best case would be if Husso could come next year Chicago and we could give them full competition who would stand first and step up NHL rings. Now Binnighton don't get any real competition in AHL and I think that would be best for both of them.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I like the optimism, but I think expecting 70 points from Barbeshev is asking a little too much.

I would say I believe Fabbri would be our most important prospect in accordance with whom ever said that he has the biggest game-breaking ability. His potential is 70+ points and I love his tenacity in the game. Both aspects the Blues have lacked in a prospect not named Schwartz or Tarasenko. To Fabbri's credit, I would say that neither Schwartz or Tarasenko have the same kind of nastiness/tenacity that Fabbri holds.

Fabbri is being developed into the perfect play-off weapon and that's really the short of why he's the most important to me.

I agree 70 points is optimistic, but I figure if everything goes right, and he hits his absolute max he could be there one day. I do think Fabbri is a safer bet to become a big time player in the league.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
fabbri as an offensive impact prospect

barbashev as a reliable backes "replacement"

lindbohm as the safest d prospect to play all situations

parayko as a wild card D prospect

binnington as a safe goalie, and then husso as a wild card goalie

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I think part of what factors into organizational value is how difficult/costly it would be to obtain a replacement from outside the system.

Goalies who might finish any given year in the 5-15 range are, as a general rule, not that costly or hard to obtain. Goalies with consistent top 5 upside are, but I'm not convinced we have one of those in our system.

Depth defensemen are also not that hard or costly to acquire. Developing our own will save a little money, but that's about it.

The most precious commodities around the league are players with high-end skill, followed by quality well-rounded centers and defensemen (especially RHD). If an organization hits on a prospect with one (or more) of those qualities, it benefits tremendously.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I have been going back and forth on many prospects, as a good case can be made for several (Fabbri, Barbashev, Binnington, Lindbohm, etc.). However, I am going to go off the board a bit and pick Jaskin, since I think he's technically still a prospect. Other than Barbashev, he is the only other power forward with top 6 potential in our system (or a prospect who actually has a decent chance of becoming a top 6 power forward), and we'll need someone to fill Backes' void when he leaves (hopefully not for several more seasons though). Think of how important Backes is to our team, and who would fill his void in being a physical power forward who can score 60 points?

I think Jaskin's full potential is as a player similar to what Backes is now. Backes even had the same skating issues that got rectified after a couple of offseasons of power skating lessons. Fabbri is a great choice as well, but I feel we have a very similar player in Schwartz ( I do expect Fabbri to play with more of a chip on his shoulder, however).

My honorable mentions go to Parayko and Husso.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I have been going back and forth on many prospects, as a good case can be made for several (Fabbri, Barbashev, Binnington, Lindbohm, etc.). However, I am going to go off the board a bit and pick Jaskin, since I think he's technically still a prospect. Other than Barbashev, he is the only other power forward with top 6 potential in our system (or a prospect who actually has a decent chance of becoming a top 6 power forward), and we'll need someone to fill Backes' void when he leaves (hopefully not for several more seasons though). Think of how important Backes is to our team, and who would fill his void in being a physical power forward who can score 60 points?

I think Jaskin's full potential is as a player similar to what Backes is now. Backes even had the same skating issues that got rectified after a couple of offseasons of power skating lessons. Fabbri is a great choice as well, but I feel we have a very similar player in Schwartz ( I do expect Fabbri to play with more of a chip on his shoulder, however).

My honorable mentions go to Parayko and Husso.

We both are on the same page. I put Husso #1 though. He could be the elite #1 that we have so desperately sought. Awesome talent, if he can keep his mojo in the net.

Jaskin at full potential makes Barbeshev and Fabbri better than what they are already destined to become.

Let's not forget that a RHD can play on the left side, just as a LHD can play on the right side. If Parayko doesn't reach his offensive potential, then defensively he may even be more effective on his opposite hand. Don't rule him out as Shatty's partner. Big body and hopefully a big can of whoop tail. I actually preferred playing the opposite spot for shooting and defensive reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad