Who is the Greatest Buffalo Sabre All-Time Whose Last Name Started with "M"?

Who is the Greatest Buffalo Sabre All-Time Whose Last Name Started with "M"?

• Clarke MacArthur (2006 - 2010)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kevin Maguire (1987 - 1990)

• Clint Malarchuk (1988 - 1992)

• Terry Martin (1975 - 1979)

• Brad May (1991 - 1998)

• Gary McAdam (1975 - 1983)

• Jake McCabe (2013 -2021)

• Dale McCourt (1981 - 1984)

• Tony McKegney (1978 - 1983)

• Sean McKenna (1981 - 1986)

• Peter McNab (1973 - 1976)

• Gerry Meehan (1970 - 1975)

• Larry Mickey (1971 - 1975)

• Colin Miller (2019 - 2022)

• Casey Mittelstadt (2017 - 2023)

• Mike Moller (1980 - 1985)

• Randy Moller (1991 - 1994)

• Steve Montador (2009 - 2011)

• Brandon Montour (2018 - 2021)

• Matt Moulson (2013 - 2018)

• Craig Muni (1993 - 1996)

• Tyler Myers (2009 - 2015)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'm asking who is the best Sabre all-time whose last name started with the letter "M"? This is for their time with the Sabres, and I'm arbitrarily selecting a 75 game minimum as a Sabre.

Remember, this is all-time and includes every season since the beginning of the franchise - not just the recent ones.

Of course, I'll run through the rest of the alphabet up until the regular season starts.

Results so far:

A: Dave Andreychuk 91.2%
B: Danny Briere 73.1%
C: Brian Campbell 50.6%
D: Rasmus Dahlin 66.3%
E: Jack Eichel 48.1%
F: Mike Foligno 93.2%
G: Danny Gare 94.5%
H: Dominik Hasek 95.3%
I: No one qualified
J: Calle Johansson 51.3% (Honorable Mention - Rick Jeanneret)
K: Jerry Korab 71.9%
L: Pat LaFontaine 80.0%

Let the voting begin!

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
This is a strong letter. I went Martin, but easily could be Miller or Mogilny. Even the "B" and "C" teams are fun with other talented and impact players: McKee, May, Moulson (briefly), Mitts, McCormick -- and even Montador -- had some good moments.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
This might be the toughest one yet.

It was the toughest to create. There are a LOT of M's.

I'm torn between Martin and Miller. They both meant so much to the Sabres in their respective decades. Though Moglilny did once tie for the league lead in goals.

I'll need a while to decide.

Reactions: Zman5778

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I went Martin, but like others I agree that votes for Miller or Mogilny are not objectionable.

Reactions: Dingo44

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
I had to go Miller. After Hasek, he was my favorite goalie. He is who I looked up to the most at the position and tried to style my play after.

ZemgusWho

Jun 19, 2007
Denver
Really hard one for me– narrowly Miller based on how important he was to the team during his peak years.

But Mogilny, Martin— really tough. You could create an entire team out of M alone and it would be pretty good.

Reactions: WiHockeyGuy

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
shit. shit. shit.
Miller is my favorite goalie not named Hasek or Crozier.
Rico and the French Connection were heart and soul of the early years.
AlMo... jeezuz those are my top three, and there's a bunch more names in there that were fantastic Buffalo Sabres players...
Gotta go with Rico, with Ryan and Alex a millimeter away from that spot.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Really hard one for me– narrowly Miller based on how important he was to the team during his peak years.

But Mogilny, Martin— really tough. You could create an entire team out of M alone and it would be pretty good.

Martin - Mittelstadt - Mogilny
McKegney - McNab - May
McCourt - Mair - Moulson
Meehan - McCormick - MacArthur

Myers - McKee
Montador - Montour
McCabe - Muni

Miller
Malarchuk

That's a pretty darn good team. That first line would score a ton. Mittelstadt might have 120 points with those two wingers in their primes.

Ryan would be busy though depending on the shift. No lack of toughness on that team for sure!

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Tough one. I wanted to go with AlMo for the historical aspect alone, but my heart went with Rico.

I went with Mogilny for the immense talent that he was and the incredible backstory of him coming to the team, shifting the landscape for Soviet/Russian players. The guy was absolutely incredible for the Sabres too. Tough to argue with Miller or Martin, though.

Reactions: Butt Ox

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I went with Mogilny for the immense talent that he was and the incredible backstory of him coming to the team, shifting the landscape for Soviet/Russian players. The guy was absolutely incredible for the Sabres too. Tough to argue with Miller or Martin, though.

Ya, went with Mogilny, I’m all about the stories with this. Dude escaped a cold, bleak place, and that was to get to buffalo. Then management can’t pay his awesomeness, he moves about, and now ain’t in the hall for bullshit reasons. If Leino is the negative, Mogilny is the fun positive to the sabres yin-yang existence. Miller rules, as does Martin, but Mogilny is extra special.

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
McKegney - McNab - May
McCourt - Mair - Moulson

Myers - McKee
Montador - Montour
McCabe - Muni

Miller
Malarchuk

That's a pretty darn good team. That first line would score a ton. Mittelstadt might have 120 points with those two wingers in their primes.

Ryan would be busy though depending on the shift. No lack of toughness on that team for sure!

Scoring outside of the top line would be iffy.

Defense would be a wild ride depending on which versions of those players would show up.

Goalies are solid.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
This was very close, so I gave preference to best peak. I gave the nod to Miller because he was the best at his position in the league for at least one year.

You could argue that neither Mogilny or Martin were even the best player on the Sabres in their best years (LaFontaine and Perreault respectively).

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
This anecdote explains my vote:

I was living in Massachusetts when Rick Martin died. A coworker of mine at the time was a massive bruins fan. I went and told him the news about Rick Martin, and he was devastated. This massive bruins fan idolized Rick Martin growing up and was always his favorite player

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
This was very close, so I gave preference to best peak. I gave the nod to Miller because he was the best at his position in the league for at least one year.

You could argue that neither Mogilny or Martin were even the best player on the Sabres in their best years (LaFontaine and Perreault respectively).
Fair logic, but Martin was an All-Star both in-season and several times at end-of season when the league (used to?) announce 1st and 2nd All-Star teams (and Topps would put out collector cards accordingly). Mogilny and Miller only honored once for 1st/2nd team.

To the board:
One could make an argument that Martin and Mogilny are the two best players in NHL history whose names begin with "M" who are not in the HHoF.

FWIW, Martin ranks 12th all time and 10th in the post-expansion era in goals per game. For active players, he is behind Ovi and Matthews in terms of active players, and ahead of McDavid, Pasta, Stamkos. Notably, Martin and Tim Kerr (Flyers) are the only players in the top ~25+ all-time in that category (GPG) who are not in the HHoF, and Kerr played entirely in the dead-goalie post-WHA merger era for his career, whereas Martin essentially did not.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Martin. Miller and Mogilny are just a tier below.

McKegney - McNab - May
McCourt - Mair - Moulson

Myers - McKee
Montador - Montour
McCabe - Muni

Miller
Malarchuk

This is Andrej Meszaros erasure. How can the tank commander not have a spot on this team?

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Went with Mogilny...One of the greatest single season goal seasons in NHL history....He was absolutely electric...Martin right there with him...Miller might not even be a top 50 Buffalo Sabre of all-time but he has a lot of chicks that like him..It's an abomination that he had that many votes.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Rick Martin.
Went with Mogilny...One of the greatest single season goal seasons in NHL history....He was absolutely electric...Martin right there with him...Miller might not even be a top 50 Buffalo Sabre of all-time but he has a lot of chicks that like him..It's an abomination that he had that many votes.
what?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad