Speculation: Who is the Canucks Best Player?

Who is the Canucks best player?

• Total voters

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
They are both fantastic players. Hughes is close to Norris cabinet and EP is not quite there yet for forwards. So it has to be Hughes.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
They’re both so, so important and such amazing players.

I could go either way. In this one I picked Hughes. Underrated in the NHL, should be a top-5 defender in the league. Our defense without him is a nightmarish thought.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
i think there's an argument that hughes is better at his position (ie. a top-5 defenseman) than petey is (borderline top-5 center, but definitely not a top-5 forward) - and that since hughes plays a more important position, it's him.

at the same time - and maybe this is controversial and not giving QH enough credit - but i think that hughes as a small mostly offensively oriented defenseman / pp qb has a skillset where it is easy to find a replacement that is 75% as effective for 50% or less of the cost (ie. tyson barrie), whereas players like pettersson are the backbone of what makes a team tick.

again, maybe not fully fair to hughes, and maybe this is don cherry-esque, but i look at a guy like marner in the same way. he's a hell of a player, and a top-5 winger in the game. but because of *how* he plays (soft, skilled, cerebral), he just isn't likely going to be the backbone of a team.
I disagree. Quinn Hughes plays an incredible possession game and he can play well 22+ minutes a game. He’s not a bruiser or a crease clearer but far more importantly he’s an ice tilter. That’s different to me than say a Krug or a Marc Andre Bergeron, incredible pp qbs who were small.

Reactions: Horvat1C

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
..but which player has more impact on the ice/game..?..looking at the big picture.
This is open to question as I see where your going. Hughes does probably control the puck much more and minutes as well. However my thought process is EP is much more valuable without the puck than Hughes but then again Hughes always has the puck so does it really matter. It's a tough question and you really have me thinking here but gonna stick with EP but really they are both teams MVP. You can't go wrong with either.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This is open to question as I see where your going. Hughes does probably control the puck much more and minutes as well. However my thought process is EP is much more valuable without the puck than Hughes but then again Hughes always has the puck so does it really matter. It's a tough question and you really have me thinking here but gonna stick with EP but really they are both teams MVP. You can't go wrong with either.
Yeah..EP slightly edges out QH as having the most talent…but QH edges out EP as having the most impact in the game.

Tough choice.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I'd say Hughes by a very slim margin. However, I do wonder how much the fact that he's the first franchise defensemen we've ever had influences my decision.
I'm happy to tell you we had Sami Salo whose only disability was availability. Still a franchise level D.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
EP is the best skilled player on the team and getting better. A brain with great vision and an amazing shot.

QH is arguably the most valuable by virtue of his position, together with his superior IQ and skating skills.

Aren't we lucky?

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I knew someone would bring them up. I think the chemistry the twins had was insane and certainly they were talented. However I think these guys might have the edge but I can't argue if someone was to pick the Sedins over EP and Hughes.

Until the kids win a Hart and/or Art Ross they aren't at the level the Sedins are at IMO

Reactions: Flik

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Henrik won the Hart and Art Ross when he was 29 and Daniel the Lindsey when he was 30. There’s still time for Pettersson and Hughes, who are better than the Sedins were at their age.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Until the kids win a Hart and/or Art Ross they aren't at the level the Sedins are at IMO
Jamie Benn won the Ross doesn't mean everything. Heck he was even a finalist for the Hart. You have to weigh the competition for those trophy's as well. Not taking anything away from the twins fabulous players and HOF's. You wanna take them as the most talented I won't argue but for me these kids are better when comparing them at the same age. We're lucky to have had all 4.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Best player - Bure

Best duo - Sedins

But EP and Huggy certainly have the ability to lead the Canucks to Stanley, certainly the best 2 individual players we have ever had at one time.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Until last year the argument was Miller vs Hughes vs Demko even though we have known for awhile that Pettersson was the most talented.

Then the 100pts season happened and EP40s defensive game started to emerge to new levels. Hughes minutes played and level of competency vs his defensive peers makes him the most valuable especially when he has stretches like last seasons 2023. But that's not the question

Best player is Pettersson now. Most skilled, best scorer, most competent in all 3 zones, PK PP OT SO there is really no situations where you wouldn't want him on the ice for at this point if things are on the line. If he can piggy back last season the league will start to take notice as well

Reactions: racerjoe

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
I don't like the arguement that Pettersson is "tougher" and Hughes is "soft." They are both extremely resilient and proved that over three consecutive Playoff series where they were noticeably targeted physically. Every year after that they've been the ones other teams have focused on shutting down. They both fight through it and don't back down.

Pettersson has the reverse hit in his arsenal and puck protection abilities that are required as a forward that may be more noticeable. He had to get stronger and learn to protect himself and now he's done that.

Hughes has the biggest forwards in the game breathing down his neck and he absorbs hits and makes plays with ruthless efficiency. It doesn't matter if it's Caufield/Yamamoto chasing him or Tkachuk/Benn, he just makes the right play.

You can choose one over the other based on preference or the time of day, but I don't think you can argue that one is softer or tougher than the other.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Best player - Bure

Best duo - Sedins

But EP and Huggy certainly have the ability to lead the Canucks to Stanley, certainly the best 2 individual players we have ever had at one time.

Actually youre right. Bure is probably our best player ever. Guy was electric

1. Bure
2-3. Sedins

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Voted Hughes, but it's close. Bottom line is that in today's game, PPG blueliners can drive a team's entire offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad