Prospect Info: Who is the Canucks #5 prospect?

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
make a list of prospects. the higher the prospect, the higher the value. this means if you have prospect n, you will trade him for prospects at numbers less than n. thats it

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
My list is still;

1) Bo Horvat - Looks like a stud, has high upside and good NHL readiness for his age.
2) Nicklas Jensen - High upside that has shown he can play against men.
3) Hunter Shinkaruk - Oozes skill and potential.
4) Frank Corrado - Virtual NHL lock with some upside left.
5) Brendan Gaunce - Looks to be ready to take 3C duties, but could use more time to develop in junior.
6) Jordan Schroeder - Definitely an NHL player at this stage, this season will show just how good he can become.
7) Eddy Lack - A great goalie prospect that we didn't get to see last year, likely ready to step into the NHL this year if he's healthy and recovered.
8) Jordan Subban - So much skill, could be one of the best prospects on the Canucks if he grows a bit.
9) Alexandre Mallet - Showed well at the prospects camp and should get heavy minutes in the AHL this season.
10) Henrik Tommernes - A very solid looking defender who has top 4 upside.

Below that are Cassels, Blomstrand, Ericsson, Cederholm, and Cannata.

I could be swayed on the bottom 3 and the next five, but the top 7 are pretty set.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Ya I'll say Gaunce. I would say Schroeder but I don't feel he is a prospect anymore. He played 65% of the last NHL season and is no longer waiver eligible. He will be in the NHL next season, either here or somewhere else. Plus he'll be 23 in September, so he's more of a young NHL'er at this point.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
That's pretty much what decided my 5 vs. 6. I wish Schreoder wasn't on the list, because if last season was a full year he would have graduated, but as it stands even playing 100% of our teams games last season he'd still be a prospect.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
make a list of prospects. the higher the prospect, the higher the value. this means if you have prospect n, you will trade him for prospects at numbers less than n. thats it

The only issue with this is organizational needs come into play. It's hard to take this out of the equation.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
I'm pretty sure we are going by Hockey's Future rules here.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect/

Under these rules, Schroeder is a prospect so you should vote accordingly.

Oh yeah, and I'm voting for Gaunce on this one. Schroeder production needs to improve because he doesn't have the size to stick as a fourth liner. Lack had an injury setback, and this will be a make or break season for him. Until either happens, Gaunce is higher in the list for me.

Under those same rules, Lack is not considered a prospect. He's 25 now. Taking that into account, I wouldn't change my vote as Gaunce's potential and skill set narrowly beats out Schroeder's NHL-readiness and skill set.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
can you please stop adding schroeder? i know a lot of people like me aren't voting for him because he's not really a prospect anymore. we went through this with tanev and kassian last year and it was just as silly to have them ******** up the list by being in a nearly random spot

Can we just title the next one (since Schroeder is behind even Eddie Lack right now, I guess on the basis of Lack's superior AHL achievements) the "Vote for Schroeder so we can stop the complaining once and for all" edition?

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Gaunce all the way. Next up: Eriksson.

Schroeder's too small to make an impact.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Wow Schroeder is overrated around here. "Not a prospect"? What the hell is he then? Definitely not an NHL regular. He was sent down 3 times and given more than enough chances to run with the ball as an NHL regular. He hasn't done so yet and is therefore, very much stll a prospect.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Look. I didn't have Schroeder in poll 1, people got upset. I add him after many complaints for poll 2, and people get upset.

There's just no winning here.

People ***** about the same things every single year. Schroeder is still a prospect whether they want to believe it or not. It's funny that all the complaining is about 22 year old Schroeder instead of 25 year old Eddie Lack.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Wow Schroeder is overrated around here. "Not a prospect"? What the hell is he then? Definitely not an NHL regular. He was sent down 3 times and given more than enough chances to run with the ball as an NHL regular. He hasn't done so yet and is therefore, very much stll a prospect.

According to some posters he is an NHL player despite finishing the year in the AHL.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Voted Gaunce. That's a heck of a top 5. Been a while since we've seen that. Add Lack and Schroeder and that's a strong top 7. A couple more years of solid drafting and our prospect pool should be quite deep as well.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Voted Gaunce. That's a heck of a top 5. Been a while since we've seen that. Add Lack and Schroeder and that's a strong top 7. A couple more years of solid drafting and our prospect pool should be quite deep as well.

Well hopefully not, as it would mean Lack, Schroeder, Corrado, and Jensen are still *prospects* and not NHL players. But I know what you mean. Amazing what a few solid hits in the first round and a top 10 pick can do for a team's fortunes.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary

That's just the guys who are mainstream. I am also got some high hopes for guys like McNally, Cannata, Tommernes and Hutton to be effective NHLers. Also holding out hope for Blomstrand, Mallet and Labate.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
According to some posters he is an NHL player despite finishing the year in the AHL.

I've already done the work in another thread, but for centers getting the 4th most ice time on their team he was lower middle of the pack. He's certainly good enough to be an everyday NHL player at this stage, he question remains if he can improve or if he's a low event 3rd liner who can chip a few points in now and again.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I had Gaunce over Jensen so he's an easy choice here.

Who's the guy who keeps voting Mallet? Decent prospect, but top 5, really?

arsmaster*

I voted for Schroeder, but from now on, maybe we should set up ground rules in thread #1, because it seems Schroeder is being omitted by many because of certain personal standards.

There should be one standard and all would be fine, but there isn't so there are going to be some issues here.

I personally see Schroeder as a better bet to be a top 6 player than Gaunce, it is why I voted for him.

Poll 6 and 7 will be a battle between JS and EL I assume, although I think I'd go: 5. JS, 6. BG, and 7. EL.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
I've been voting for Guance the last few rounds, so I'll keep doing it until he wins.

Just imagine what he will mean to the Canucks: a decade's worth of a 230-pound (in his prime) centerman who is very smart, works hard, thinks the game well, plays both ends on the rink, goes to the net, hits guys, controls the boards, passes well, and has a great shot. He has a professional mindset already, and is captain of his team. His skating isn't the best, but it's at least adequate. The Canucks have lacked big rugged forwards with skill who play in the trenches, but they have one in Gaunce (and another in Horvat). The Canucks' identity will indeed be reset when these two guys make the team.

Now if Tortorella can make a similar player out of Kassian, a line with the versatile Gaunce at LW, Horvat at C, and Kassian at RW would be pure hell to play against :yo:

Knucklehead

Oct 18, 2002
Fort Nelson,B.C.
can you please stop adding schroeder? i know a lot of people like me aren't voting for him because he's not really a prospect anymore. we went through this with tanev and kassian last year and it was just as silly to have them ******** up the list by being in a nearly random spot

You can choose to vote for Schroeder or not but clearly he is still a prospect and should be on the list. If it weren't for recent arrivals Horvat and Gaunce this may well have been his year to make the club and still may be but it will be tougher for sure.

Evidence

Jul 3, 2013
Vancouver
I've been voting for Guance the last few rounds, so I'll keep doing it until he wins.

Just imagine what he will mean to the Canucks: a decade's worth of a 230-pound (in his prime) centerman who is very smart, works hard, thinks the game well, plays both ends on the rink, goes to the net, hits guys, controls the boards, passes well, and has a great shot. He has a professional mindset already, and is captain of his team. His skating isn't the best, but it's at least adequate. The Canucks have lacked big rugged forwards with skill who play in the trenches, but they have one in Gaunce (and another in Horvat). The Canucks' identity will indeed be reset when these two guys make the team.

Now if Tortorella can make a similar player out of Kassian, a line with the versatile Gaunce at LW, Horvat at C, and Kassian at RW would be pure hell to play against :yo:

That line in its prime trying to shut down a Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberly line would be a thing of beauty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad