Prospect Info: Who is the Canucks #14 prospect?

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Think there is a group of four or five guys here. Couldn't vote for McNally until I see the missed season doesn't effect him too much.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Cannata...Cannata...Cannata.

Mallet at 9 is the biggest red flag on this poll.

Agree on both lines.

Think there is a group of four or five guys here. Couldn't vote for McNally until I see the missed season doesn't effect him too much.

The thing is, it's not just about not regressing during the year off, he needs to be actually showing progress.

arsmaster*

I'd have voted for McNally for a few polls now, if the guy I've been voting for 5 or 6 polls had been picked.

With McNally, the things he's good at (rushing the puck, shooting, walking the line on the PP etc) aren't skills you'll lose from missing games, so for me him missing a season isn't a huge deal.

I still see him as a dangerous puck rushing defensman, with a ceiling as high as some in the top 6 or 7 of this pool. His problem is the Kevin Connauton problem, that he seems to not being able to defend adequately. That is where a missed season could hurt him moving forward, but it's not like those are things that make him a bad prospect. He's still a developing prospect and is probably a little more intelligent than KConn.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Voted for McNally then for me its either Cannata or Cassels then Cederholm whom I've liked pretty much everything I read about and excited that hes coming over.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Not enough starts last year. I voted for him this round over Archibald/Labate. If McNally has improved his play over his year off, then I could see him going here, but it's just too much of an unknown for me to vote for him at this point.

To help re-invigorate the Joe Cannata hype train, here's a couple stat lines.

Joe Cannata: GP 14 GAA 2.65 SV% .912
Eddie Lack: GP 13 GAA 3.00 SV% .899

Cannata had a better Save Percentage than Jack Campbell and Jake Allen.

Wasn't Eddie playing through his injury for part of last year? I seemed to remember hearing that

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I am shocked Cannata hasn't gone yet, and is losing this poll. Did people just forget about his accomplishments? The guy had an exceptional college career and so far he has followed it up with excellent AHL numbers. I realize the sample size is small, but to me he is at the very least a back-up goalie in the NHL, and I personally see him as a starter.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I am shocked Cannata hasn't gone yet, and is losing this poll. Did people just forget about his accomplishments? The guy had an exceptional college career and so far he has followed it up with excellent AHL numbers. I realize the sample size is small, but to me he is at the very least a back-up goalie in the NHL, and I personally see him as a starter.

Isn't that more to do with the depth of our prospect pool?

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Isn't that more to do with the depth of our prospect pool?

Well, how does a goalie with #1 potential that has had a good showing in his first year of pro hockey (Cannata) rank lower than a guy like Tommerness who at best projects as a 3/4 defender, and likely will not reach that. That's my point. But whatever, we all have our preferences of course.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You can't "bust" as a 4th rounder.

Shocked at the McNally love. I just have a hard time being high on him after missing a full season of development at his age.

Yeah, I don't get it either. Most players his age have already graduated, and he's only played one full season of college hockey. And now lost a year. He's not going to be turning pro for ages, and will be in his mid-20s when he does.

Voted for Archibald for like the 6th straight time.

This poll is going to look very silly come October.

Pseudonymous*

Yep Eddie was playing through injury and still looked good in most of the games i watched. He was playing much better than his stats indicated. Team was playing lousy

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012

I don't think he's put up "excellent" ahl numbers - other than the 1 game at the end of 2011-2012 he played. Last year he put up pretty average numbers in the ahl. At best I would call them "good" - but closer to "average". And definitely not "excellent".

But I judge him so toughly because I have such high expectations for him...

And I completely agree about his amazing college career - his last year in college, he was easily one of the best collegiate goalies in North America - and I would say, probably, the best.

That is why I pick Cannata here, despite putting up common numbers in a year where he got very few games. He should get a lot of opportunities next year, and he has the talent.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
You can't "bust" as a 4th rounder.

Shocked at the McNally love. I just have a hard time being high on him after missing a full season of development at his age.

Yes you can. It's just not a big deal because they are a fourth rounder. Most fourth rounders will bust, because if they were likely to reach their ceilings, they would have been taken earlier. We might have a different definition of "bust" if you think only high picks can bust.

I find it the same as a prospect not reaching his potential.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Yes you can. It's just not a big deal because they are a fourth rounder. Most fourth rounders will bust, because if they were likely to reach their ceilings, they would have been taken earlier. We might have a different definition of "bust" if you think only high picks can bust.

I find it the same as a prospect not reaching his potential.

There we go.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Yeah, I don't get it either. Most players his age have already graduated, and he's only played one full season of college hockey. And now lost a year. He's not going to be turning pro for ages, and will be in his mid-20s when he does.

Voted for Archibald for like the 6th straight time.

This poll is going to look very silly come October.

lol I don't get this "missed" season bullsh*t "omg how's he going to respond". The guy was close to a point per game in his rookie season, as a defenseman. He's been touted as a Justin Schultz light, by some. The guy should have been picked a lot higher than he is. He's a stud imo.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Patrick McNally
Joe Cannata
Jordan Subban
Darren Archibald
Alex Grenier
Cole Cassels
Anton Cederholm
Evan McEneny
Kellan Lain
Joseph LaBate