Prospect Info: Who is the Canucks #14 prospect?

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
1. Bo Horvat (9th overall, 2013) - 64.13% [NEW]
2. Hunter Shinkaruk (24th overall, 2013) - 32.45% [NEW]
3. Frank Corrado (150th overall, 2011) - 48.00% [2012 - 8th]
4. Nicklas Jensen (29th overall, 2011) - 56.07% [2012 - 2nd]
5. Brendan Gaunce (26th overall, 2012) - 59.52% [2012 - 6th]
6. Jordan Schroeder (22nd overall, 2009) - 53.37% [2012 - 5th]
7. Eddie Lack (FA signed July 2010) - 82.63% [2012 - 4th]
8. Joacim Eriksson (FA signed June, 2013) - 51.88% [NEW]
9. Alexandre Mallet (57th overall, 2012) - 21.43% [2012 - 13th]
10. Ben Hutton (147th overall, 2012) - 32.08% [2012 - 20th]
11. Henrik Tommernes (210th overall, 2011) - 30.54% [2012 - 17th]
12. Peter Andersson (143rd overall, 2009) - 25.00% [NEW]
13. Ludwig Blomstrand (120th overall, 2011) - 27.21% [NEW]

Continue, discuss

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
I'll say who I voted for, because I've been pushing for this kid since Hutton went at 10: Darren Archibald. He is going to play on this team at some point this year, and will be a bottom-6 energy guy for us for a bunch of years. He dominated the ECHL for a year and a half, and looked strong for Chicago last year.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I had no idea everyone was so low on Subban.

Aside from the first round picks, none of the 2013 draft picks have been ranked. I think some people are more heavily weighing the 'closest to playing in the NHL' factor rather than looking at ceiling and likelihood of reaching it. Just because a player may take 3 or 4 years to make an impact at the NHL level due to school commitments or late bloomers doesn't make them less valuable prospects.

Add Mike Williamson and Miles Liberati.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Been voting for Cannata for a few rounds now. No idea why the hype on him has dried up.

Not enough starts last year. I voted for him this round over Archibald/Labate. If McNally has improved his play over his year off, then I could see him going here, but it's just too much of an unknown for me to vote for him at this point.

To help re-invigorate the Joe Cannata hype train, here's a couple stat lines.

Joe Cannata: GP 14 GAA 2.65 SV% .912
Eddie Lack: GP 13 GAA 3.00 SV% .899

Cannata had a better Save Percentage than Jack Campbell and Jake Allen.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Aside from the first round picks, none of the 2013 draft picks have been ranked. I think some people are more heavily weighing the 'closest to playing in the NHL' factor rather than looking at ceiling and likelihood of reaching it. Just because a player may take 3 or 4 years to make an impact at the NHL level due to school commitments or late bloomers doesn't make them less valuable prospects.

Add Mike Williamson and Miles Liberati.

This, Basically.

Though, then again. Why hasn't Kellan Lain been voted up yet.

List it a mess because no one really knows what it is based on. At least, it'll be fun to see the changes when we do it again next year.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
we have 3rd-6th round picks that have panned out about as well as they can pan out. those are worth more than 3rd-6th round picks that have just been picked. development is worth something

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Just because a player may take 3 or 4 years to make an impact at the NHL level due to school commitments or late bloomers doesn't make them less valuable prospects.

sure it does. uncertainty is a negative thing

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
we have 3rd-6th round picks that have panned out about as well as they can pan out. those are worth more than 3rd-6th round picks that have just been picked. development is worth something

Probably not trade value-wise. Another club would want to develop players their way, and a recently picked player would be a blank slate.

This, Basically.

Though, then again. Why hasn't Kellan Lain been voted up yet.

List it a mess because no one really knows what it is based on. At least, it'll be fun to see the changes when we do it again next year.

I agree, this list is all over the place because we don't have a clear definition of what a prospect ranking is supposed to mean and what criteria we are supposed to weigh more heavily. Is this ranking based on most trade value? Closest to making an impact? Highest ceiling? Lowest bust potential? Prospects that MG seems to be excited about?

Also, not sure why Lain has slipped. MG seemed to be high on him as a possible option for the fourth line. I'm guessing it's ceiling with him, but this list is all over the map anyway.

sure it does. uncertainty is a negative thing

Management has to trust their amateur scouting. Being 18 doesn't make the player have less of a ceiling than a 21 year old in the system.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I agree, this list is all over the place because we don't have a clear definition of what a prospect ranking is supposed to mean and what criteria we are supposed to weigh more heavily. Is this ranking based on most trade value? Closest to making an impact? Highest ceiling? Lowest bust potential? Prospects that MG seems to be excited about?
I am not sure why we've gotten so many complaints this year; its the same poll/ranking we do every year. The rankings from HF or THN are not weighted by a specific criteria and this is no different. It's a balance of several factors, such as potential/ability to reach it, annual progression, bust potential, NHL readiness. Prospects in general are an inexact science. There is no formula that we can use here.

Why do we care who MG is excited about, in regards to these polls? If he wants to make his own list, he can. He was also excited about Connauton, spewing false praises about him and him being NHL ready all over the radio last offseason and then they had him as a forward during training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad