Prospect Info: Who is the Canucks #10 prospect?

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Mallet was getting a lot of push from some of the more vocal posters on the board in earlier threads. You didn't really see that with Hutton, Tommernes, Archibald, etc. That can really sway the vote. We know precious little about any of these guys that any play they get makes them visible.

Look at Hutton. Guaranteed that 99% of us didn't have him on the radar until Feebster and that guy on Twitter who was blogging dev. camp gave him some love. Then, he played well in the scrimmage, which kind of confirmed it. None of us have seen U of Maine games, we are relying on hype generated by others to make the call.

arsmaster*

I never watched the scrimmage, so I have no idea about that. These list are always flawed because no one knows whether to rank it based on NHL readiness or who has higher potential.

I always viewed Mallet as a Dwight King/Jordan Nolan type. Where a Alex Gernier could be 10x as skilled, but if he isn't willing to play a all round game, he has no chance. At least Mallet could be serviceable.

Not like you don't expect these people who vote in the poll to even watch the prospects play. Most don't even know where Ben hutton plays but just because some random guy said he looked good on twitter, he's suddenly become a top 4 potential guy. 95% of the people here just base things on what they hear and from the media. So whats new?

Nothing is new.

My point is that a guy like Archibald has already taken his lumps and progressed through he league where Mallet spent most of his season.

Played very well in the AHL, and likely fits in the same King/Nolan category and will probably be there next year in limited action (my opinion).

That's my issue. Archibald wasn't at development camp so he wasn't able to impress in a scrimmage so he gets bumped by a decent rush and a penalty shot goal.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Nothing is new.

My point is that a guy like Archibald has already taken his lumps and progressed through he league where Mallet spent most of his season.

Played very well in the AHL, and likely fits in the same King/Nolan category and will probably be there next year in limited action (my opinion).

That's my issue. Archibald wasn't at development camp so he wasn't able to impress in a scrimmage so he gets bumped by a decent rush and a penalty shot goal.

It's because Archibald has skating issues that hurts his overall potential. If you'd mention someone like Tommernes who already had decent success with pros, then I'd have to agree with you on that.

arsmaster*

I don't have a problem with Mallet in our top 10. He was taken in the 2nd round, obviously scouting saw something in him. Jensen only managed 4 points in 20 AHL games last year and was mostly invisible in his 2 game call-up, and we aren't writing him off. I'd like to see how Mallet is handled without the pressure from the farm club owners to win now.

Nobody below the top 6 skaters are safe bets to make the NHL anyway. Now people are voting on their favorite 'project' players.

There better be pressure to win or we'll be basing this off What amounts to AHL scrimmages again next year.

Having him in the top 10 based on draft position = ludicrous.

Comparing him to Jensen who scored the most goals on his SEL team and scored the most for u19 in that league in a decade is strange.

Sure Jensen didn't fare well in the AHL this year but his 6 goals in 8 games last season is still on his résumé.

Mallet struggled in the AHL and took awhile to acclimatize to the ECHL.

He did nothing to rise, but did.

Because of the scrimmage and that YT above.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Anyone got the list of last years top # of prospects? I think every year should be sticky'ed just to see the progressions. I remember seeing an old one, where the top prospects got beat by a player not even ranked Happens all the time.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I laughed at the suggestion that the scrimmage was impacting these rankings at all, but Mallet made it in to the top 10, so, um, maybe I was wrong...

arsmaster*

It's because Archibald has skating issues that hurts his overall potential. If you'd mention someone like Tommernes who already had decent success with pros, then I'd have to agree with you on that.
You ever watch Dwight King skate?

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
You ever watch Dwight King skate?

I guess it's my bad for mentioning Dwight King. In Comparison, i meant it as how he was developed into the NHL but, King's abilities stop at the 4th line because of his speed and I feel, Mallet without having a speed problem, can progress and be more serviceable.

Kings bigger and tougher than Archibald, but is that really saying much? Should a 4th liner be top 10 on this list?

BTW - A while back, i said PC.Labrie would not make the NHL, and now he's found a home in Tampa. So just because he doesn't fit on one team, doesn't mean he can't find a home elsewhere. Still, he's a borderline 4th liner, journeyman, ahler. So? Do you put him on any top 10 list?

Last edited:

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Mallet was getting a lot of push from some of the more vocal posters on the board in earlier threads. You didn't really see that with Hutton, Tommernes, Archibald, etc. That can really sway the vote. We know precious little about any of these guys that any play they get makes them visible.

Look at Hutton. Guaranteed that 99% of us didn't have him on the radar until Feebster and that guy on Twitter who was blogging dev. camp gave him some love. Then, he played well in the scrimmage, which kind of confirmed it. None of us have seen U of Maine games, we are relying on hype generated by others to make the call.

Hype train coming through!! :cheer:

----

Ben Hutton

Hutton.jpg

Hutton is a guy that went under the radar, not too much chatter about him in the media, but certainly a guy deserving of some excitement. He is a smooth skating left side defenseman, who is a kind of guy who can make a good first pass but also a guy who can skate out of trouble and rush the puck up the ice. He is a guy who does well on the PP, walks the line and does not hesitate to shoot. His defensive game is good, smart in reading the play. Not afraid to play the body. Playing style is similar to a combination of Edler and Ehrhoff.

In Maine, he adjusted well to the pace of Hockey East. Some background info will shed some light about the offensively starved nature of this team. For the better part of the year, this team scored at a ~1.8 goals per game pace, which was the lowest G/GP avg in the nation. A late season push saw them move up to 2nd lowest (2.03 G/GP) in the nation. This team lost 4 of their top 5 scorers from the year previous due to graduation. The coach got fired as a result of their poor showing this season.

Despite all this, Hutton was used mainly in a 2nd pairing role alongside SR Mike Cornell; he was used frequently on the PP, saw him used on the 1st and 2nd PP, but only saw spot duty on the PK. In this role, he managed to lead defense in scoring with 4-11-15 in 34 games. He was the 3rd leading scorer on the team. He and Cornell led the defense in +/. A couple of HE followers thought he could have been in the conversation for the all rookie team, had Grzelyck and Matheson not run away with those two spots. He also had a shoulder injury in January, which i think he played with until he decided to rest for 2 weeks and missed 4 games.

Here is what an opposing coach had to say about Hutton:

“He’s a good player,†said Northeastern University coach Jim Madigan, whose Huskies will host the Black Bears on Friday night before Maine visits Merrimack College on Saturday night. “He moves the puck well and is smart. He is a presence on the ice with the puck.â€

His D partner:

“I’ve been really impressed with him,†said Maine senior defenseman Mike Cornell, who is Hutton’s defense partner. “He’s going to end up the best of all of us. He has a really, really high ceiling as to what he can become. Right now, he’s only scratching the surface of where he’ll be. He’s naturally gifted.â€

His coach:

Maine coach Tim Whitehead said Hutton has been a great addition.

“He has very good hockey sense, he works hard and he is very coachable,†he said. “He has all the tools to become an elite player.â€

Full article: http://bangordailynews.com/2013/01/...n-hutton-a-bright-spot-for-maine-hockey-team/

As mentioned Maine fired that coach, but the incoming coach is said to be a real Xs and Os kind of guy and demanding of his players. Hutton will benefit from learning from him on the defensive side. Also, with 3 outgoing seniors on defense, Hutton will be depended on next season in all capacities. I think he is setting himself up for a good season that will hopefully get his name in print more often.

Last edited:

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
There better be pressure to win or we'll be basing this off What amounts to AHL scrimmages again next year.

Having him in the top 10 based on draft position = ludicrous.

Comparing him to Jensen who scored the most goals on his SEL team and scored the most for u19 in that league in a decade is strange.

Sure Jensen didn't fare well in the AHL this year but his 6 goals in 8 games last season is still on his résumé.

Mallet struggled in the AHL and took awhile to acclimatize to the ECHL.

He did nothing to rise, but did.

Because of the scrimmage and that YT above.

I'm not comparing him to Jensen, they are two different styles of players. I'm saying that you have to take a quarter season of AHL play with a grain of salt. Mallet had a great last season in the QMJHL, well over a PPG in the regular season and playoffs while bringing a physical edge. Yes, he stumbled in his first year turning pro, but he could easily rebound this season.

Draft position has historically been a good indicator of future potential. Sure, there are outliers here and there, Ellington being a recent example of a 2nd rounder that didn't pan out, but the overall trend is clear. It's not completely random, 2nd rounders do better than later round players.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Archibald is my sleeper. He put up decent numbers in the O every year he was there, did well early on a pretty poor Wolves' PP this year and has NHL size and strength. Picking him for this reason.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Hype Train #2 coming through

Ludwig Blomstrand

image.php

He received a lot of flack when drafted due to poor numbers and complete obscurity (I am not innocent here either). However the numbers did not tell us, the role he was given in Djurgarden's junior team. He played mainly in the bottom 6. Moving on to this past season, I watched every game Blomstrand was dressed in for Djurgarden this season, there are only 2 games where he played more than 2 minutes, the remainder he was benched or played only one shift. But in Sweden, they will count sitting on the bench as a GP, so remember the GP number is deceiving. Fair to say, he wasn't getting the time he needed.

He was then traded/loaned to Almtuna, where he was thrown on the top line and top PP unit. He did not see PK time here. Here, he scored 13 goals and 6 assists, in 30 games (0.63 pts/g). Despite joining the team 1/3rd of the way through the season, he ended up 5th in team scoring and 3rd in goals (16 goals on 58 shots, which is a high and likely unsustainable shooting % - 22.41). A comparable I used based on age was Pontus Aberg (both are '93s who were playing in their 19 year old season). Aberg, who is/was highly regarded by many here in his draft year, was afforded top line minutes from the start of the season, deserving or not, but he finished 12-28-40 in 52 games (0.77 pts/g). Djugarden (5th place) scored 34 more goals than Almtuna (12th).

Now for his play on ice. It was a tale of two Blomstrands in Sweden. In Djurgarden, he was used on the 4th line and played an aggressive game, he was hard along the boards, pressured the puck and showed a physical presence. He also may have let his emotions get a hold of him, made a few borderline hits and took a couple of poor penalties. In Almtuna, he was in a scoring role and lost a lot of that aggressiveness he had in Djurgarden. He was more passive defensively, not moving his feet as much. But he put himself in good position around the net and used his size to his advantage. Also, showed well on the transition as he used his speed often and a surprisingly good shot. With the wolves, we saw the former and his speed/size impressed even more on the small ice.

I see this past season as a success for Blomstrand, as we finally got a chance to see what he is capable of when he is given a chance to flourish. I see him as a bottom 6 winger who has the ability to score, play a good forechecking and defensive game.

Neat fact: Blomstrand was sometimes used on faceoffs (both offensive and defensive zone) in Almtuna and faired surprisingly well (53.85%) in the very small sample.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Hype train fail.

If you want a real hype train. You make it simple.

Alex Grenier is the next Blake Wheeler.

I bet you people will read this more than they read yours.

oh, here's a random highlight package i found:

http://youtu.be/DccHV-7EdDo

Last edited:

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Choo Choo!!! Hype Train #3 in the station

Peter Andersson

SES_Peter_Andersson_849579v530x800.jpg

Andersson has had some ups and downs since he was drafted. He struggled for ice time with Frolunda, constantly on loan to the Allsvenskan. Injuries have continued to plague Andersson over the years and has followed him over the ocean. I had just about written Andersson off due to the constant demotions, but watching Andersson play on the Wolves and then in training camp, I came away wondering how the hell this guy got bounced around in Sweden. As I said earlier, there is no other prospect who has impressed me as much as Andersson this year. That may be due to the low expectations or it may just be that Andersson is a damn good player. I'm betting on the latter.

Andersson had a great developmental year in the AHL. The Wolves were stocked to the brim with defensemen and Andersson fought for a spot. He began on the bottom pairing and not long afterwards, worked his way up to playing on the top pair with Derek Joslin. As a defensive D man with no playing time on the PP, his numbers will not stand out (1-7-8 in 42 games), but his on ice play did stand out. Andersson is a smooth skating defenseman who is capable of playing both sides. He did not show a side where he played better or worse, performance was pretty consistent on either side. He has good speed and mobility, but would like to see better backwards speed. He looks tall on the ice and uses that reach to knock pucks loose. This coupled with his great positioning has made him very difficult to beat one on one. He is not known for big hits, but he used his big body to separate his man from the puck or pin him to the boards. He makes smart decisions with the puck, often making the right play to get the puck out of danger or up the ice.

Offensively, I think he is under-developed. Maybe its his nature or maybe its what he was instructed. He was not used on the PP, but when in the offensive zone, he makes smart passes and keeps the puck moving. But if the puck looks like its going to be turned over on the cycle, Andersson is always the first man retreating. So this leads me to believe this is his nature. He has a good shot. Obviously, he is not likely ever going to be an offensive D man, but i think he could be a solid defensive D man who can put up 15-20 points.

Here is a recent article: http://hd.se/sport/2013/06/19/en-karriar-utanfor-rampljuset/ Talks about how the Canucks gave him positive feedback and have high thoughts of him.

Hype train fail.

If you want a real hype train. You make it simple.

Alex Grenier is the next Blake Wheeler.

I bet you people will read this more than they read yours.
Maybe so, but i tend to ignore posts with those kinds of statements as people who don't know WTF they are talking about.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
hmmm. sounds like we got here a chris tanev, a chris tanev, and a chris tanev but as a forward. neat!

good writeups ;)

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I voted for Blomstrand in the last poll. His game seems to have some similarities to Hansen's and I think will translate well in the NHL if he makes it up.

Had Blomstrand, McNally, Hutton, and Andersson all ahead of Mallet.

Had Mallet circling with Grenier, Cassels, Subban, Cederholm, and Cannata although haven't figured out exactly where. But definitely agree he should be closer to #15. Lain rounds out (although good 4th line potential, nothing more) and I don't think Labate will ever make it to the NHL as a regular.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
I went with Subban, as I think his cockiness might give him the edge he needs - something that sets him apart from the rest. I like Hutton here as well, but there only so many spots available for these guys and I see us drafting some higher-profile d-men in the early rounds after going forward-heavy of late. Not sure Hutton/Tommernes/ Andersson have any stand-out skills so I'm rolling the dice on Subban.

That also kind of explains why I chose Mallet last time - I think his "bite" sets him apart from the rest. I've been a fan since we drafted him. I watched all of his jr fights and the guy is a talented fighter. He probably ends up a 4th liner, but an impact 1. I'm hoping for a tougher, less-mouthy Lapierre (when he was effective).

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China
its hard to rank the next tier.

I kinda lump Andersson/Blomstrand/Tommernes/Lain/Hutton/Archibald
in a similar tier.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
What's with everyone forgetting Cole Cassels.. He had a great development camp.

I'm actually surprised by this, figured he'd get more votes just simply because he's newer and new usually gets ranked higher than they should every year. People who follow the prospects will have a fun time with low ranked prospects because of the potential of drastically changing their stock.

Last edited:

Pseudonymous*

What's with everyone forgetting Cole Cassels.. He had a great development camp.

Actually im pretty high on him and im going to be voting for him next round. Think maybe i should have this one

Just realized i hadn't voted yet, voted for cassels. I paid attention to him during the scrimmage, liked his play then too

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad