Prospect Info: Who is the Canucks #10 prospect?

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
1. Bo Horvat (9th overall, 2013) - 64.13% [NEW]
2. Hunter Shinkaruk (24th overall, 2013) - 32.45% [NEW]
3. Frank Corrado (150th overall, 2011) - 48.00% [2012 - 8th]
4. Nicklas Jensen (29th overall, 2011) - 56.07% [2012 - 2nd]
5. Brendan Gaunce (26th overall, 2012) - 59.52% [2012 - 6th]
6. Jordan Schroeder (22nd overall, 2009) - 53.37% [2012 - 5th]
7. Eddie Lack (FA signed July 2011) - 82.63% [2012 - 4th]
8. Joacim Eriksson (FA signed June, 2013) - 51.88% [NEW]
9. Alexandre Mallet (57th overall, 2012) - 21.43% [2012 - 13th]

Continue, discuss.

Last edited:

CanucksCupHopes*

Can someone fill me in with Hutton how old? Upside? Stats?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Went with Hutton last poll, so I'll stick with him here. Tommernes is next.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Voted Hutton.

You know just one thing it would be awesome of Ericksson was the next Bobrovsky or Schneider then it would be another goaltender steal from Philly. Philly wanted Ericksson right?

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Voted Hutton.

You know just one thing it would be awesome of Ericksson was the next Bobrovsky or Schneider then it would be another goaltender steal from Philly. Philly wanted Ericksson right?

Philly drafted him, I'm not sure what exactly happened, but they somehow forgot to sign him. Maybe Holmstorm was golfing or something.

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Can't believe Mallet won the last vote... A prospect scrimmage shouldn't the talent level of a prospect. I believe Mallet will become an NHLer as he as all the tools to make it in some capacity, but he looked a step behind everytime in the AHL last year.

Pseudonymous*

Can't believe Mallet won the last vote... A prospect scrimmage shouldn't the talent level of a prospect. I believe Mallet will become an NHLer as he as all the tools to make it in some capacity, but he looked a step behind everytime in the AHL last year.

Alot of players do during their first short stint in pro hockey

Rey

Jan 11, 2007

It's because he's one of the only guys that is physical, and can fight. Those guys always come outta nowhere to surprise people because they aren't afraid of anything. While the skilled players are driven by confidence, these grinders are driven by work ethic to grind it out and focus on their role. You never have to worry about their confidence.

BTW - It's nice to have 10+ legitimate prospects. So used to having 3-4. Still have about 8 prospects on the poll who could be NHL-ers. Remember when after 5, the guys had no chance.

Last edited:

arsmaster*

It's because he's one of the only guys that is physical, and can fight. Those guys always come outta nowhere to surprise people because they aren't afraid of anything. While the skilled players are driven by confidence, these grinders are driven by work ethic to grind it out.

Like Sawyer Hannay?

The question is why did he rise?

After a dominating QMJHL season he was 13th. After a mediocre at best first season pro he rose through the rankings. Why?

The scrimmage and obviously that one hit and fight linked above against the heat.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
^Exactly. It is the rise that is very peculiar.

His past season can be very easily characterized as merely average. Heck there's even a good argument for disappointing. Yes, he has a nice skill set but he has not proven that he can consistently play like that at the pro level.

Personally I would not have considered him in the top 10. Maybe closer to 15.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Like Sawyer Hannay?

The question is why did he rise?

After a dominating QMJHL season he was 13th. After a mediocre at best first season pro he rose through the rankings. Why?

The scrimmage and obviously that one hit and fight linked above against the heat.

I never watched the scrimmage, so I have no idea about that. These list are always flawed because no one knows whether to rank it based on NHL readiness or who has higher potential.

I always viewed Mallet as a Dwight King/Jordan Nolan type. Where a Alex Gernier could be 10x as skilled, but if he isn't willing to play a all round game, he has no chance. At least Mallet could be serviceable.

Not like you don't expect these people who vote in the poll to even watch the prospects play. Most don't even know where Ben hutton plays but just because some random guy said he looked good on twitter, he's suddenly become a top 4 potential guy. 95% of the people here just base things on what they hear and from the media. So whats new? Even the most recognizable top 5, people are basing it on highlight packages on youtube. Why complain now?

Edit - Just checked. 168 people voted in the last poll. I personally never vote, but can you really expect even 1% of the 168 to have followed every prospect?

Last edited:

arsmaster*

^Exactly. It is the rise that is very peculiar.

His past season can be very easily characterized as merely average. Heck there's even a good argument for disappointing. Yes, he has a nice skill set but he has not proven that he can consistently play like that at the pro level.

Personally I would not have considered him in the top 10. Maybe closer to 15.

Yeah. I'd say 13-15.

I want him to turn into a gritty 3rd liner with skill and toughness as much as everyone voting for him, but there is no way he should rise based on his season.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

I don't have a problem with Mallet in our top 10. He was taken in the 2nd round, obviously scouting saw something in him. Jensen only managed 4 points in 20 AHL games last year and was mostly invisible in his 2 game call-up, and we aren't writing him off. I'd like to see how Mallet is handled without the pressure from the farm club owners to win now.

Nobody below the top 6 skaters are safe bets to make the NHL anyway. Now people are voting on their favorite 'project' players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad