Prospect Info: Who is the Canucks #1 prospect?

arsmaster*

Agreed.

Corrado is almost certainly going to be an NHL regular next year, and has substantial upside. He'd be #1 on my list, with Horvat the only other guy really close.

Can't believe the way people get stuck on draft position and are rating Jensen ahead of Corrado. Corrado is simply a better prospect - same age, better in the AHL and better in the NHL last year playing a more challenging position for a young player.

Look at the options who could get the puck to a shooting winger in Chicago last year.....

Anyways, I'm not gonna knock Frankie, I just think Jensen has a higher ceiling.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
He was a PPG player in the AHL down the stretch. I wouldn't call him a bust at all. We'll see what he does this year.

True, good point... but he needs to play in the NHL. The time has come. He is a former 1st round pick, if you don't feel he can play in the NHL on a regular basis then it's a wasted pick and a bust. The kid needs to be given the chance. The Canucks have failed to give him that chance.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Horvat - our first top ten pick since Hodgson and in a deep draft to boot. He takes over top spot until proven otherwise.

Gaunce - had a great year again in the OHL, looks ready to make the jump.

Shinkaruk - someone who fell to us, could be steal of the draft.

Corrado - looks ready to challenge for a regular spot on the 3rd pairing.

Jensen - had a tough season in the AHL, needs more time to adjust, had definitely dropped down the list.

Lack - may take over back-up job this season

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Look at the options who could get the puck to a shooting winger in Chicago last year.....

Anyways, I'm not gonna knock Frankie, I just think Jensen has a higher ceiling.

In a similar vein, my criteria is ceiling+proven play. It's hard to argue that Corrado has proven more to this point, but I'm going with the longer tenured AHL record of one Eddie Lack. I think he has #1 potential, and he was great in his time on the farm. If it weren't for his recent surgery, I think he would still be in the top3 on a lot of lists. My list:

1. Lack
2. Jensen
3. Corrado
4. Schroeder (yeah I said it)
5. Gaunce
6. Horvat
7. Shinkaruk

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
For me, it is Horvat. Easy number 2 is Shinkaruk and it has nothing to do with shiny new toys mentality.

Horvat simply has too many positives for me to put him lower. I think he has good upside with a high probability of reaching it.

Shinkaruk over Jensen and Gaunce is a simple decision. Shinkaruk has outperformed both players in their 17 and 18 year old seasons by a fair margin. Couple that with being more skilled than either, a compete level that is higher than Jensen's as well as a higher upside over both puts him #2 for me. I found Jensen rather non-existent in his recent AHL and NHL stint; inconsistency issues seem to have plagued him since his draft year.

Number three for me is Corrado.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
You don't know why?

Really.....Hunter Shinkaruk in his two most recent WHL seasons put up 86 goals and 91 assists in 130 games.

Jensen at the same stage had 54 goals and 62 assists in 116 games.

That's a lot more goals for guys who you suggest are both skilled sniper types.

I don't get caught up on size, I think Hunter's ceiling is higher. Jensen will be my #3 prospect behind Shinkaruk and Horvat.

I'm not hung up on size, but when two players bring a similar skill set, the bigger player is preferable imo.

I don't get caught up on junior scoring. Both scored, one was playing practically in his back yard the other half way around the world. I have no idea how the two's teams compared, but that could also be a factor. Really happy Shinkaruk was/is captain of his team, big plus for him there.

I still put Jensen ahead of Shinkaruk, but feel the odds of at least one of them developing into a top 6 winger (at minimum) is pretty good. If both max out there potential, imo Jensen will be the better player due to his body type. Like both guys though.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Don't think Jensen's ceiling is anywhere near Shinkaruk's. One has a 55-60 point ceiling, the other has a 70-80 point ceiling.

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010
Horvat, but a very close second to Shinkaruk, Was a heck of a draft for the Canucks. If there was a second round pick and they could have moved to get Petan it was have been off the map

Last edited:

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
1. Horvat
2. Shinkaruk
3. Jensen
4. Gaunce
5. Lack
6. Corrado

I really hope i'm wrong but i just don't think Jensen's game will translate well to the NHL. I'm usually an optimist it's just a feeling I have with him. I don't think there's any doubt Horvat will be a regular producing pro and Shinkaruk has a very high ceiling and is a bit of a riskier pick.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
I can't remember the last time we were arguing so much on who would be #1. Usually, we arrive at a consensus pretty quickly or argue between 2 players tops. Now it is between 3-5 players.

After tonight, Hutton has moved up in my books.

StringerBell

I can't remember the last time we were arguing so much on who would be #1. Usually, we arrive at a consensus pretty quickly or argue between 2 players tops. Now it is between 3-5 players.

After tonight, Hutton has moved up in my books.

There shouldn't be much argument with the #1 spot, it's Horvat's by almost any measure. #2-6 get a bit trickier.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
1. Horvat
2. Shinkaruk
3. Jensen
4. Gaunce
5. Corrado
6. Lack(injury, could be higher)

Pretty much this although I tend to put Gaunce slightly ahead of Jensen, who has a higher ceiling higher bust projection than Gaunce.

I think Subban belongs in the top 6, somewhere, just don't know where though maybe 5a? He is small but I have a gut feeling about him.

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010
1. Horvat
2. Jensen
3. Gaunce

I just love the fact that it's actually hard to rank prospects now. Before, we didn't have many options to choose from.

No Hunter in the top three? Shinkaruk has a lot of offensive skill and smarts, not huge or a bruiser, but fast and skilled and he is 5'11" so not small. I did pick Horvat at the top but Shinkaruk to me is the most purely offensively skilled of the prospects. I think there are going to be a lot of teams who will be kicking themselves for passing on him.

But yes it is great there are prospects to talk about

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Tough pick between Horvat and Hunter Shinkaruk (tho the results are a bit shocking lol). Guess the fact Horvat is the new "toy"/top 10 pick gave him a landslide victory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad