Who is the biggest disappointment?

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Nash is 20th in the NHL in goals per game amongst those who have played at least half their team's games.

It's not him.

I picked Del Zotto because it looked like the Top 4 in NY was set forever after 2011-12 with McD/Staal/Girardi/DZ with DZ being that solid top 4 guy that could spark the offense. As it was, a ridiculous regression over two half-seasons to the point where he had to be dealt for another stay-at-home.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
To me, it is difficult to find much fault with Hank when our #1 line of Nash-Stepan-Kreider may be as bad as any #1 line in the game.

What does that have to do with stopping pucks?

This isnt the weakest roster Henrik has had in front of him. Yet he's having the worst season of his career. Funny how Talbot has had no issue stopping puck with the same 1st line, the same defense, the same system, the same coach, the same everything.

This board has the monopoly on not faulting Lundqvist for anything. Thankfully there is an objective national media and objective non-Ranger fan base who clearly understand that it's possible for a great athlete to have a down year.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

This isnt the weakest roster Henrik has had in front of him. Yet he's having the worst season of his career. Funny how Talbot has had no issue stopping puck with the same 1st line, the same defense, the same system, the same coach, the same everything.

This board has the monopoly on not faulting Lundqvist for anything. Thankfully there is an objective national media and objective non-Ranger fan base who clearly understand that it's possible for a great athlete to have a down year.

Just to play devil's advocate, team's usually play better in front of their backups.

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010
Ok... so I voted for Lundy.

Nash has been a disappointment given that he has an abysmal number of assists. Is it the fault of the line he's on? Maybe? Would Kreider and Stepan be part of a number 1 line on any other team? It seems as if the opponents are double teaming Nash whenever he has the puck which shuts down his effectiveness. if he was playing with more skilled scorers perhaps we would see a better result? In any case, often he plays soft. I would prefer to see him charge the net more often. The bottom line, we're not getting production.

Hags, huge speed but disappears for long stretches. I'm not seeing a lot of progress. I guess he is what he is?

MDZ? I expected less from him than Barry Trotz does so.... he didn't make my list.

Stepan? I expected a bit more goal scoring but again, he seemed to have flattened out. As a 2nd/3rd line center he fits right in so he's ok.

LUndy... The team is playing a different style. Blocked shots seem to be a thing of the past. THe offense controls the puck more than in the Tort's regime. The D pinches quite bit more leaving Lundy exposed. It just seems that his level of concentration has faltered a bit. He had an amazing stretch the month before the Olympics. Since coming back....He's been OK. not the Lundy I expected to see. Forget his early season performance. Talbot is the reason the Rangers are in the hunt.

Overall, the way the team is currently playing, the PP should once again be nominated as a disappointment. Has it gone missing?

The entire offense seems out of sync since the Olympics. Zucc's hand injury, St Louis is looking for himself, and Nash needs to regain his form. If the team finds a bit of offense some lundy mistakes will be overlooked.

coolbean04

Aug 5, 2006
It's easy, the guy that I can't vote on. It's MSL!!!! I hated the trade then and I'm furious now. This team should've traded for prospects and/or draft picks, not trade more away.

CharlieCharleschuk

Nov 26, 2013
Well, those arguing that Nash is just what he is and we shouldn't expect more of him, this quote comes from the game story on NHL.com today. Bottom line is that his teammates look up to him and want him to show fire in the belly, even if he doesn't score.

The Rangers ...Brassard said Nash's physical play and willingness to mix it up was an inspiration.

"It shows a lot of character. We loved it," Brassard said. "He's our best player, but when the game's on the line and your best player is showing emotion like that, it lifts the team."

Yeah. So. He's a huge disappointment to me because he could set a tone and he does on occasion. But he chooses not to way too much for my taste, and for the team.

That on/off character is all on him. You've got to presume that coaches all throughout his career have struggled with it.

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
Nash still has 22 goals with recent history of concussions. Staal was given every chance to recover long term and every excuse in the book was thrown out there to defend him. How anyone could answer Nash to this question is pure spite. I guess Richards was bought out already...

It has to do with expectations. Staal's lofty expectations faded 2 years ago. He is still a solid Dman, but nobody is expecting the next Pronger anymore.

Nash is the biggest disappointment because he was expected to score a lot of BIG goals and elevate the team.

Sure, the concussions probably have a lot to do with it, but it's still disappointing.

But I'll say this: Last night I saw a side of Rick Nash that I did NOT expect. And if he can play like that with more consistency, he WILL help elevate this team.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
But I'll say this: Last night I saw a side of Rick Nash that I did NOT expect. And if he can play like that with more consistency, he WILL help elevate this team.
He led and was setting the tone, even if he had not dropped the gloves. However, expecting such consistent play from him, I do not hold out hope for.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
He led and was setting the tone, even if he had not dropped the gloves. However, expecting such consistent play from him, I do not hold out hope for.

So it takes playing his old team of 10 years in their building to get Nash pumped?

If he brings even half that fire every game, he'd be off this list.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Nash is 20th in the NHL in goals per game amongst those who have played at least half their team's games.

It's not him.

I picked Del Zotto because it looked like the Top 4 in NY was set forever after 2011-12 with McD/Staal/Girardi/DZ with DZ being that solid top 4 guy that could spark the offense. As it was, a ridiculous regression over two half-seasons to the point where he had to be dealt for another stay-at-home.

Don't think he and Cally fit the current system as well as they did the last. DZ was the great under Torts, but I think he was totally mishandled this season and now the team doesn't have 4 legitamate top 4 defensemen.

That core 4 was great while it was together, all home grown and effective and ate tons of minutes. Real shame it didn't work out because the Rangers now have to pay in cap space or assets to get that legitimate top 4 D instead of wishing one of their stretch 4s can step up.

No complaints whatsoever about Klein, who is a solid mistake free defenseman... but he isn't exactly going to produce at a .5 PPG from the back end. Staal will never be an offensive guy, but he and DZ made for a great pair when they were together.

That reliability is gone now... Torts and Sully were able to roll out the core 4 for the entire game with Stralman getting minutes, and that was a top 5 D core... now the Rangers can't match up against any team that has two number 1 lines.

The record against Boston and Pitts this season is indicative of that.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

The board has a propensity to pile on and deal in hyperbole.

Hank is a slightly better than average goalie this year. He ranks 11th in save pct among goalie with 1000 saves. Not great, but hardly awful.

He has had more point-blank shots off of giveaways and missed assignments than I can remember. Has he been great? No. Has he been good? Yes.

The reason it matters who your first line is, is because the worse your offense, the more pressure on your defense and goalie. That is both logical and common knowledge.

Too many times this year the Rangers have failed to score more than one or two. When that happens you have a very good chance of losing the game.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
The board has a propensity to pile on and deal in hyperbole.

Hank is a slightly better than average goalie this year. He ranks 11th in save pct among goalie with 1000 saves. Not great, but hardly awful.

He has had more point-blank shots off of giveaways and missed assignments than I can remember. Has he been great? No. Has he been good? Yes.

The reason it matters who your first line is, is because the worse your offense, the more pressure on your defense and goalie. That is both logical and common knowledge.

Too many times this year the Rangers have failed to score more than one or two. When that happens you have a very good chance of losing the game.

Henrik has allowed a career-worst in 3+ goal games, and he hasn't hit the 60 game mark yet. Tough to blame the offense when the team went a few weeks being down 1-0 or 2-0 just minutes into a game.

Yes he's been good this season, but not by his standards. That's why people are disappointed.

Season isn't over. He can offset that by finishing Lundqvist-like regardless of what the offense does.

Ranger Angst

May 3, 2009
Montreal
It's easy, the guy that I can't vote on. It's MSL!!!! I hated the trade then and I'm furious now. This team should've traded for prospects and/or draft picks, not trade more away.

My thoughts exactly. MSL has brought nothing to this team. Unbelievable tonite against the Devils he had the most minutes played by a forward. Just hoping this guy performs in the playoffs. My vote is MSL as a write-in.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Wow, I thought I was in the post-game thread and accidentally voted Lundqvist... -_-

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
I went with Richards.

He started off fine, but lately, he's been playing like dog ****. Only has 2 points to show in his last 10 games.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Richards I already knew he would suck, Msl I had a strong suspicion he would suck.

So a draw with those I suppose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad