Who is the better all around center?

Who is the better all around center?

• Total voters

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
Taking into consideration goal scoring, play making, positioning, defensive awareness, on ice work ethic, consistency etc.

Who do you think is the best all around current leafs center?

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Tavares for sure. Matty still dissapears sometimes in the D zone and has a tendency to stick check for the puck instead of using his body to shut off skating lanes.

Reactions: FishManSam

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Right now, I'd say Tavares. Obvious ability aside, given that he has the most NHL experience, the notion isn't all that surprising. I'd eventually expect it to be Matthews.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
AM will be the best eventually. He might even have more natural skill. In my opinion, training matters and an athlete's mindset develops with age. JT plays every aspect of the game. He brings a discipline to the game that is hard for a 21 year old to match.
Matthews can score in bunches. JT is more consistent game by game,
Matthews is scoreless this year for 39% of his games while JT is at 33%

As the focus of a line, consistency matters.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Tavares. Not as talented as Matthew's, but for the most part, you know what you are going to get game in and game out from Johnny. Matthew's is still developing the consistency he needs to become a dominant elite centreman in this league. Pretty exciting to have them both locked up for 5 more years. Great 1-2 punch.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Matthews when he's healthy.

Otherwise Tavares.

Matthews was in a tier of his own before Trouba and Kronwall hits.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think I gotta go with Crosby or maybe Scheifele ...

Best all around that's a tough one, both Tavares and Matthews have weaknesses, but I suspect Matthews will continue to get better, and Tavares will maintain for another few years and decline.

Need an evaluation matrix.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Currently:
Offensively = Matthews
Defensively = Tavares
Overall = Matthews

I think Matty has proven that he can do more with less. He's also significantly younger, and will be as good/better defensively in the near future

Reactions: Menzinger

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Matthews is better overall, but Tavares is better all around. Similar to Crosby and McDavid except the gap isn't as big between Matthews and Tavares overall.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
marleau and kappy both blow the zone;

nylander and hyman hardly blew the zone when they played with matthews

I'm not talking about the play of his linemates, just him specifically. He doesn't give the same effort, doesn't break up plays and steal pucks like he used to, or engage in board battles and dominate nearly as often. His defensive zone coverage and attention to detail also used to be much better. It's probably to do with him playing not to get hurt so it's understandable, but it has nearly nothing to do with his linemates, he was by far a better defensive player the first half of last season. I will say though it helped a lot having Nylander carry the puck up ice all the time.

Last edited:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Tavares. He knows who he is as a player. He's developed and a finished product. Matthews is coming into his own as a player and is 7 years younger.

I think Matthews will be the overall better player down the road.
Same for me. JT and Matthews are real close right now, and I think Matthews is more talented, but I’d give JT the edge at the moment. He’s very consistent all over the ice, competes hard all game, every game, and makes fewer mistakes. Matthews isn’t as consistent, has shifts where he’s dominant but others where his effort is lacking or he makes mistakes.

Reactions: MattySnipes

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Same for me. JT and Matthews are real close right now, and I think Matthews is more talented, but I’d give JT the edge at the moment. He’s very consistent all over the ice, competes hard all game, every game, and makes fewer mistakes. Matthews isn’t as consistent, has shifts where he’s dominant but others where his effort is lacking or he makes mistakes.

I agree with the effort part, but not the mistakes. It's a common occurrence for Tavares to try to stickhandle through everyone standing still and lose the puck. Matthews' takeaway to giveaway ratio is much better than Tavares' this season too so the stats support the eye test.

Tavares has been better defensively overall though and more consistent in his overall level of play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad