Who is the better all around center?

Who is the better all around center?

• Total voters

Rogue

Jun 21, 2017
Tavares today.
I think Matthews at the age of Tavares will be a much better all around player.
Time will tell, but for now experience is on the Tavares side.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Lindholm. Really? He can't score in an empty arena. May not be around for the playoffs.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Wow... what a thread. The obvious answer is Tavares. If you don't understand how much heavy lifting Tavares does.. well.. I suggest you start educating yourself about the game, and read fewer charts.

This isn't up for debate. There is only one correct answer.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
AM's better offensively , defensively and positionally .

you can't be constantly positioned below the puck in the O zone like JT is and be considered a good defensive center

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The votes for the other two are jokes, they're clearly not better than Kadri.
They might be intended as 'jokes', but it's more likely that they are serious opinions, just as yours is. I respect your opinion, even though I disagree with it, and think you should do me the same courtesy.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Matthews. Although unfortunately for the haters, Tavares has been excellent this season.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
AM's better offensively , defensively and positionally .

you can't be constantly positioned below the puck in the O zone like JT is and be considered a good defensive center

A centre's defensive responsibilities are to be the first forward back to help out the defense and as you say JT is always deep in the Ozone and seldom back helping out defensively.

Matthews is well documented as a 2-way C and his Dzone positioning is strong for his age as he breaks up plays.

JT has never had the reputation as a 2-way C, not only the Leafs but his entire career.

Reactions: Monsieur Gustave H

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
A centre's defensive responsibilities are to be the first forward back to help out the defense and as you say JT is always deep in the Ozone and seldom back helping out defensively.

Matthews is well documented as a 2-way C and his Dzone positioning is strong for his age as he breaks up plays.

JT has never had the reputation as a 2-way C, not only the Leafs but his entire career.

I've been a critic of his defensive play for years. I think the eye-test people conflate his compete level for defensive prowess and the analytic people look at his top-3 defensive GAR and also assume he's a good defensive player. In literally every season of his career -including this year- his team has allowed ES goals against at a higher rate with him on the ice than off the ice. Great player, but Bergeron he is not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad