Who is the best/worst Avalanche Head Coach?

Who is the best Avalanche bench boss of all time?

• Marc Crawford (1995-1998)

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Bob Hartley (1998-2002)

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Tony Granato (2002-2004, 2008-2009)

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Joel Quenneville (2005-2008)

• Joe Sacco (2009-2013)

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Patrick Roy (2013-2016)

• Jared Bednar (2016-Present)

Votes: 92 88.5%

• Total voters

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Here are my rankings. Take them with a shaker of salt. VERY long post incoming...read it or don't, up to you.

1. Jared Bednar. I don't this is particularly close, and yes, I'm heavily biased. I think he's one of the more innovative, forward-thinking coaches in the league and often (though not always) avoids the old-school pitfalls of so many of his contemporaries. He's the winningest coach in this franchise's history and I think that's because he's also a guy willing to admit when he's wrong and change things up when they're not working. Mind you, sometimes it takes a while for him to do it, but that still puts him ahead of a LOT of coaches in any given sport.

That said, I'm reluctant to call him an elite, top-tier head coach. I'm not sure I'd put him in the same league as the Jon Coopers and Scotty Bowmans of the hockey world. Time will tell, he's certainly continuing to build on that resume, and I imagine no matter what happens with him and the Avs going forward he's set to have a very, very long coaching career.

Still absolutely criminal that between him and Cooper, there are ZERO Jack Adams Trophies. I've said before I think that trophy more than all the others is based on an absolutely bullshit voting criteria, but that's perhaps a different discussion for a different day.

2. Bob Hartley
I used to think extraordinarily high of this guy, mostly because, on top of being a very successful coach, he's probably the most charismatic guy on this list (yes, you read that right). But revelations in recent years have dimmed that somewhat. Regardless, he guided the team to their second Cup and was the winningest coach in Avs history up until Bednar passed him. The results speak for themselves, despite some of the questionable methods he employed to get them.

HIs weekly radio segment was always a must-listen, and I laughed heartily at the back-and-forth between him and Andy Murray.

I do believe his tactics were great at the time but they also didn't evolve (something that indirectly affected another coach on this list), which kinda cooked his goose in Calgary and the NHL in general, and some of the borderline-abusive methods he undertook just don't really have a place in the game anymore (really, they never did, but alas). At least not in the NHL, he seems to be doing just fine abroad.

3. Joel Quenneville
No one did more with less than this guy. He took a ramshackle, piecemeal, aging lineup that got decimated by the new CBA and actually had it performing better offensively than the star-studded lineup that came before it. And mind you, I think at least a couple decisions he made cost the team dearly both in the short- and long-term so he's not exactly my favorite coach.

He also is, for better or worse, the best overall coach on this list. If not for the fact that he was perfectly fine with Brad Aldrich staying with the Blackhawks organization after it was revealed he sexually abused multiple players, and was also just fine with him getting his name inscribed on the Cup AND have his day with it, he'd be well on pace to break Bowman's record. But he's rightfully exiled from the game, hopefully for good.

4. Marc Crawford
Someone else said he was the worst human being on this list. That's possible, though Crawford to the best of my knowledge didn't run cover for a child molester in pursuit of a Cup. He got the Avs to their first Cup win in their first season and one more deep playoff run beyond that so his ranking is secure. Certainly did not endear himself to the organization or the fans with the Todd Bertuzzi incident, but this is really only about his time as Avs coach.

5. Patrick Roy
Obviously the last few years have yielded better hockey and better results, but I still think the one season I had the most fun watching the Avalanche was 2013-14. That team just never seemed out of any game, everything was going in the net and Varly was stopping everythind on the other end. Some of that was luck, some of that was a goaltender playing out of his mind, but some of that really was Patrick Roy getting the most out of a still-rebuilding lineup.

Unfortunately after that amazing first season, things went south fairly fast.

Losing Andre Tourigny was the thing that appeared to unravel everything else (as well as an absolutely disastrous 2014 offseason), and I also think that Roy came in with tactics and approaches that were in some ways already dated. A lot of what he knew as a coach came from one of his mentors, Bob Hartley. I was always hoping to see him evolve, to learn from his mistakes, but he never appeared to do so. And I still to this day feel he completely and utterly mishandled the situation with Duchene. I don't begrudge his abrupt departure, thought obviously I would have preferred he had done it earlier.

I do hope he's learned and evolved since he's been away, I like him in the league. I like him in hockey. But I'm also glad he's not the Avalanche head coach anymore.

I know a lot of you will disagree with this ranking/assessment, and that's okay. I'm but one man with one opinion.

6. Joe Sacco
Someday I would love to talk to Joe Sacco and find out who, exactly, was responsible for turning the Avs from a team that embraced an up-tempo offensive approach to one that tried to slog through games with a boring dump-and-chase style. If it was him who pushed for it, I'd be willing to put him dead last. But it's still hard to know who exactly was in charge during those murky days when Giguere and Sherman were "running" the show.

Sacco, like Roy to a lesser extent, had a much better than expected rookie season, and that Avs team was fun to watch too. It was when they sent John-Michael Liles packing and brought in Jan Hejda that everything really changed. Erik Johnson publicly blasted Sacco, revealing he was telling the defensemen to avoid jumping into the play, telling them to instead dump it. That's still strange to me because Sacco seemed to be a guy who wanted to play a fast, fun style. I can't help but thing he was in some small part the fall guy for managerial incompetence and an ownership group that was in full penny-pinching mode.

7. Tony Granato
In my opinion, Granato did accomplish one thing that Bob Hartley did not that first season. He fixed the power play, and tried some rather innovative things in order to do so. Some of Granato's failings were not his fault. His lack of experience shouldn't necessarily be held against him, that was more on Lacroix and his silly obsession with the division title record.

Regardless, I think he definitely takes the cake as the worst bench boss in franchise history. From day one he looked overwhelmed, and never seemed capable of getting the most out of his very talented lineup. I think he gets far too much flack for failure in his second season (that team was a paper tiger, Selanne and Kariya never panned out, and they didn't have a legit starting goalie to speak of). Once the talent dried up and the team finally hit the skids, he pushed all the wrong buttons, which did little more than set them up for a nice draft pick in 2009. HIs coaching exploits since his exit do not seem to have exonerated him very much. Whatever the case, I've said enough bad things about a guy currently undergoing cancer treatments. Frankly I think he was a good assistant coach and should get another shot in that arena once he's back to full health.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Hmmmmmmmmmm..........

Bednar, Mike Shanahan, Michael Malone and ?????

So who is the 4th? The Rockies haven't had a manger I'd put up there. For all of their entertainment values, Doug Moe and George Karl never accomplished much. The thought of Dan Reeves makes me want to vomit. Kubiak had far too short of a run. Who else was big-time enough to be it? Bill McCartney?
Maybe not enough people care about the Mammoth, but Pat Coyle. As a player he spent the last 4 years of his Hall of Fame career here and won a championship in 2006, and as a coach he took over midway through the 2014 season and began a rebuild of our culture that has culminated in winning the championship two seasons ago and coming up one win short of a repeat last season.

All 3 Ball Arena teams currently have the best coach in their respective franchise histories. The Kroenkes can't put the damn games on TV or hire a competent medical staff but they can hire coaches.

Reactions: Pokecheque

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
As an outsider looking in, I kind of thought George Gwozdecky would be getting some love for that 4th HC slot on Denver's Mt. Rushmore of coaching.

Reactions: Hasbro

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Until we won the cup in 2022 I would have said Hartley.
Now of course Bednar, both for his style of play and longetivity of his tenure.

Worst, I mean Granato for sure, with Sacco not far behind.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
- Bednar is the best because of his tactics and playing to a team's strength (overplaying players shows his weakness though).

- Roy was the most fun and gave us many amazing GIF moments and overall passion for the team.

- Granato was the worst because he did less with more than Sacco, who wasn't given much of anything during the rebuilding years.

Out of any personnel, though, I do think François Giguere was the single worst individual we have ever had in a high place. We had a lot of below-average to mediocre coaches but never had somebody who was truly awful like Yeo/Hynes/Milbury/etc. Giguere, though, yikes he was out of his depths big time.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
- Bednar is the best because of his tactics and playing to a team's strength (overplaying players shows his weakness though).

- Roy was the most fun and gave us many amazing GIF moments and overall passion for the team.

- Granato was the worst because he did less with more than Sacco, who wasn't given much of anything during the rebuilding years.

Out of any personnel, though, I do think François Giguere was the single worst individual we have ever had in a high place. We had a lot of below-average to mediocre coaches but never had somebody who was truly awful like Yeo/Hynes/Milbury/etc. Giguere, though, yikes he was out of his depths big time.

Valid point. I think it's very, very telling that the last two Avs GMs prior to Sakic taking the reins are not only not in the NHL anymore, they're not in professional sports at any level anywhere.

I still wonder just how much autonomy Giguere and Sherman had, but even so, they were still the general managers of record where some grossly incompetent things went down.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

I can't agree with that. At least he was a 'hockey' executive before he became GM and was one afterwards as well.

Frikkin' Sherman went from selling T-Shirts, To an NHL GM, to doing weird interviews in the back of a truck to selling fences or whatever the hell he is doing today.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
last two Avs GMs prior to Sakic taking the reins are not only not in the NHL anymore, they're not in professional sports at any level anywhere.
Isn't both of them like financial advisors or something? Whatever it may be, Sherman made some solid moves and had more "wins" than "losses." Granted, it might've been others influencing him as well behind the scenes - I think LaCroix was still there IIRC - but I label him pretty average to even above average, if you consider what you alluded to, he isn't even in the hockey profession nowadays (makes his moves more impressive IMHO).

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Isn't both of them like financial advisors or something? Whatever it may be, Sherman made some solid moves and had more "wins" than "losses." Granted, it might've been others influencing him as well behind the scenes - I think LaCroix was still there IIRC - but I label him pretty average to even above average, if you consider what you alluded to, he isn't even in the hockey profession nowadays (makes his moves more impressive IMHO).
I know I've mentioned it multiple times before but Sherman was literally in a commercial for one of his businesses on Altitude. I was flabbergasted when I saw him. :laugh:

Giguere was the guy who became a financial advisor for professional athletes but I don't think he's even doing that anymore.

Where Sherman completely lost me is when he traded the first rounder for Varlamov and then actually made the team in front of him WEAKER, which is fine if you're trying to tank it. But you shouldn't be tanking if you just f***ing dealt away your f***ing first rounder. So basically the belief had to have been that

And of course he was the GM of record when his old friend Michel Goulet swooped in and tried to steal away Ryan O'Reilly with an offer sheet that the Avs were clearly unprepared for (ironically the Flames would've had to have sent him through waivers so they wouldn't have gotten him anyway, which of course led to Goulet getting fired in Calgary not long after that) and Sherman doing his one and only unscheduled press conference. His explanation was pretty brutal too.

Giguere was bad but he was in the tough position of getting a team to go for it even though they simply didn't have the horses anymore. Sherman had to deal with a continual bottom budget roster but he still could've made good decisions and quietly built a contending roster during that time, we later found out he and Pracey did nothing of the sort.

So yeah, I think I changed my mind, Greg From Accounting gets the nod over (or below) Francois when it comes to Avs worst-ever GM.

• Haha
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Bednar is an amazing head coach. His ability to bring the best out of guys who were on the scrap heap (Nichushkin, Drouin, Jack Johnson immediately come to mind) and help to turn them into anywhere from amazing to competent (in Johnson's case) is laudable. I think both Mikko and Mac owe a piece of their success to him. There are not many player who have have arrived in Denver in recent years and then got worse, with a couple exceptions of course.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
The worst is Granato. The drop off from 2008 to 2009 was shocking, even when factoring Sakic's snowblower injury. And that was after the 2004 failure with arguably the most loaded roster since the 80's Oilers.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The worst is Granato. The drop off from 2008 to 2009 was shocking, even when factoring Sakic's snowblower injury. And that was after the 2004 failure with arguably the most loaded roster since the 80's Oilers.

In hindsight I kinda wonder if those Quenneville-led teams were just Joe Sakic going into Old Man God Mode and just carrying a decrepit team on his back. Once age and a snowblower augur got him, they fell apart really fast (not to mention the switch from Theo/Budaj to Raycroft/Budaj in net). Q knew what was coming. I remember Terry Frei writing in the Denver Post at the time that Granato got the job (again) because he was the only guy who said he could win with that roster.

Again, I still think Granato doesn't get enough credit for some of the innovative things he did to fix the power play, which ultimately is what got Bob Hartley fired (for instance, sending Rob Blake down from the point once they gained the zone to be the bumper in front of the net), but I still think he is the worst on this list. I guess the good news is that list is nowhere near as bad as the lists of some other organizations. I'd take them over every single Columbus Blue Jackets coach save for Tortorella and Hitchcock.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I know I've mentioned it multiple times before but Sherman was literally in a commercial for one of his businesses on Altitude. I was flabbergasted when I saw him. :laugh:

Giguere was the guy who became a financial advisor for professional athletes but I don't think he's even doing that anymore.

Where Sherman completely lost me is when he traded the first rounder for Varlamov and then actually made the team in front of him WEAKER, which is fine if you're trying to tank it. But you shouldn't be tanking if you just f***ing dealt away your f***ing first rounder. So basically the belief had to have been that

And of course he was the GM of record when his old friend Michel Goulet swooped in and tried to steal away Ryan O'Reilly with an offer sheet that the Avs were clearly unprepared for (ironically the Flames would've had to have sent him through waivers so they wouldn't have gotten him anyway, which of course led to Goulet getting fired in Calgary not long after that) and Sherman doing his one and only unscheduled press conference. His explanation was pretty brutal too.

Giguere was bad but he was in the tough position of getting a team to go for it even though they simply didn't have the horses anymore. Sherman had to deal with a continual bottom budget roster but he still could've made good decisions and quietly built a contending roster during that time, we later found out he and Pracey did nothing of the sort.

So yeah, I think I changed my mind, Greg From Accounting gets the nod over (or below) Francois when it comes to Avs worst-ever GM.
Yeah, I can't agree with that. Giguere kept trying to keep the team competitive when they clearly were past it and needed to do a rebuild/retool. He acquired/signed Hannan, Smyth, Salei, a broken Forsberg, a broken Foote, Raycroft (lol), Tucker, Hendricks, and Leopold to name a few. Then got rid of Theodore, Sauer, Brunette, Finger (good move), Richardson, Boychuk, Leopold, and Tanguay to name a noticeable few.

Seriously, the only trade he won was GTFOing Parros for a 2nd (became TJ Galiardi) and a 3rd (became Tyson Sexsmith). Giguere set us back like 6-8 years if decided to start retooling when the salary cap was implemented instead of trying to stay competitive. We saw Detroit at the time, no way the Avs were going to get by them with Theodore in the net, Sakic on IR, Svatos in the top 6, and non-#1 defensive core. Seriously we didn't have a #1 defence in the 2007-08 season, Colorado Avalanche at eliteprospects.com .

Under Sherman, he did the Peter Mueller trade, Winnik trade, O'Byrne trade, Cohen for Hunwick trade (huge win), Fleischmann trade, Elliott for Anderson trade (that landed us Landeskog), EJ trade (huge win), Varlamov trade (win in a bad draft), Quincey trade, and Jamie McGinn trade as noticeable ones. Most of his trades were wins until injuries ruined them (Jamie, Tomas, and Peter as such examples).

Last edited:

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Bednar. It's not even close.

He like any of us, has some quirks that we gripe about. But none of the others have the ability to demand performance and conformance to a style of play that Jared has demonstrated.

Last edited:

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Hard to see an argument for anyone other than Bednar being the best IMO. Great with X's and O's. Great motivator. The players love playing for him. Great system that has influenced the rest of the league. Only coach other than Hartley and Crow to win a Cup with the Avs.

He's got a case for one of the best coach's of all time too, as the only coach to win championships in the ECHL, AHL, and NHL. If he gets the gig at the Olympics and wins Gold, it's gotta put him way up in the ranks.

Hartley probably 2nd for me. Had a great run, and great with the defensive side of the game specifically.

Roy is 3rd for me. I think he's an outstanding coach, just had an imperfect roster, and not enough time to ride it out. Specifically a bad D core that never got fixed during his tenure. He might have more natural coaching ability than Hartley.

Q is probably 4th for me. He was a great coach, just not with Colorado. His system didn't fit the players and he didn't have much success. Too much play below the goal line and not enough opportunity for younger players.

Crawford I'd put 5th. Had some powerhouse rosters in Colorado, and Vancouver, but his underachieving in Vancouver, and elsewhere kind of showed his flaws IMO.

Granato and Sacco are hard to pick for the other end of the scale. Probably have to go with Granato because he unfortunately was just handed the reins too early, and was just too green. Probably would have made a great head coach if he had some more on the job experience.

Sacco at least had some years as an assistant and a head coach in the AHL. I think he might have gotten more out of that 03-04 team. As long as they started on time.
Agree with your one and two.

I differ on Roy. His emotion and antics were fun to watch but far, far too temperamental. And he's always been full of himself OK.. he is one the best goalies ever...)

But it should be acknowledged that when he went toe to toe with Sakic about roster make up, Joe was proven correct.

And Roy took his goalie pads and left town.

His new gig with the Islanders will be interesting and hopefully redefining.

(I know this will piss off many if not most of Patrick's admirers here. Oh well.)

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
But it should be acknowledged that when he went toe to toe with Sakic about roster make up, Joe was proven correct.
Honestly asking here - what was the roster makeup dispute? I thought Roy was really frustrated with the defenseman situation and wanted more vets but I’ll admit the Roy years were when I quit following the team so closely.

Snow Arc

New doctor; Please be patient
Aug 14, 2020
Hmmmmmmmmmm..........

So who is the 4th? The Rockies haven't had a manger I'd put up there. For all of their entertainment values, Doug Moe and George Karl never accomplished much. The thought of Dan Reeves makes me want to vomit. Kubiak had far too short of a run. Who else was big-time enough to be it? Bill McCartney?
Red Miller

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, I can't agree with that. Giguere kept trying to keep the team competitive when they clearly were past it and needed to do a rebuild/retool. He acquired/signed Hannan, Smyth, Salei, a broken Forsberg, a broken Foote, Raycroft (lol), Tucker, Hendricks, and Leopold to name a few. Then got rid of Theodore, Sauer, Brunette, Finger (good move), Richardson, Boychuk, Leopold, and Tanguay to name a noticeable few.

Seriously, the only trade he won was GTFOing Parros for a 2nd (became TJ Galiardi) and a 3rd (became Tyson Sexsmith). Giguere set us back like 6-8 years if decided to start retooling when the salary cap was implemented instead of trying to stay competitive. We saw Detroit at the time, no way the Avs were going to get by them with Theodore in the net, Sakic on IR, Svatos in the top 6, and non-#1 defensive core. Seriously we didn't have a #1 defence in the 2007-08 season, Colorado Avalanche at eliteprospects.com .

Under Sherman, he did the Peter Mueller trade, Winnik trade, O'Byrne trade, Cohen for Hunwick trade (huge win), Fleischmann trade, Elliott for Anderson trade (that landed us Landeskog), EJ trade (huge win), Varlamov trade (win in a bad draft), Quincey trade, and Jamie McGinn trade as noticeable ones. Most of his trades were wins until injuries ruined them (Jamie, Tomas, and Peter as such examples).
While he may have been traded for a prospect who never made the NHL, in no way shape or form was Hunwick a “win,” big or otherwise.

That’s the thing, if you just compare them straight across with no context then yes, Giguere is far worse. But this is not apples to apples. One GM was tasked with keeping a flagging roster in contention. The other was tasked with rebuilding the roster. Both failed in their appointed tasks but Sherman doubly failed in that the team didn't draft/develop for shit outside the top ten

And Giguere’s contract situation wasn’t really that hard to get out of. They divested themselves of the Smyth and Hannan contracts pretty easily and a lot of the old guard simply retired. I’d argue Sherman, who bogged the roster down with an endless litany of three-year deals for marginal players, left a far more difficult mess that required more time and assets to free themselves from.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Agree with your one and two.

I differ on Roy. His emotion and antics were fun to watch but far, far too temperamental. And he's always been full of himself OK.. he is one the best goalies ever...)

And Roy took his goalie pads and left town.

His new gig with the Islanders will be interesting and hopefully redefining.

(I know this will piss off many if not most of Patrick's admirers here. Oh well.)

I agree Roy was a little too temperamental/emotional for the team, specifically MacKinnon.

I don't think we ever really knew what moves Roy supported vs Sakic though. I think we assumed some of the bigger more physical players were Roy's, but Sakic played against some of those guys too, and migth have been in favor of bringing them in.

I do think there was a rift between whether that D core was good enough to compete, and whether they should draft D men higher in the draft though. Roy was proven correct on that one.

Not sure how things will go in Long Island for Roy. I'm not a big fan of that roster. Ottawa would have been a perfect fit for him. They blew it. They wouldn't be in the position they're in with Roy IMO.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Honestly asking here - what was the roster makeup dispute? I thought Roy was really frustrated with the defenseman situation and wanted more vets but I’ll admit the Roy years were when I quit following the team so closely.
Roy wanted to trade the entire roster for 34 year old French Canadians

• Haha
Reactions: Pokecheque

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Hmmmmmmmmmm..........

Doug Moe or Larry Brown

Miller wasn't that great a coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad