Who is the best Sharks coach in history?

vilpertti

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
Selanne wasn't the same player until he fixed his knee. Marleau wasn't in his prime.
Then if Selänne has a bum knee, why do you use him on the penalty kill? Does that bad knee somehow make him suddenly good at pk, something which hasn't really ever been his strong suit?

Marleau had to play on the fourth line for a long long time, and considering the centers the team had back then, that just doesn't make any sense. I know people wouldn't like it if Hertl had played all of 13-14 on the fourth line.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I voted TMac, but I've not had season tickets during the tenures of the other coaches.

In my view, TMac's problem is more towards Doug Wilson than the players. DW can't seem to bring himself to value a defense and shape his acquisitions as needed. I am not on the fire either bandwagon, but if so, DW should go before TMac.

TheHockeyRant

Apr 19, 2014
Reno, NV
You can argue that Selanne and Marleau didn't suceed as much with Sutter, but Sutter most definitely got better performances out of his depth players. Two players don't make an entire team.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Where is the Al Sims option? I'm voting him, he got us Marleau.:sarcasm:

I guess I would have to vote Todd though.

I was debating Sutter, just because it seemed the winning culture started under him. There were a couple playoff berths under Constantine before Sutter got here, but they seemed to become a perennial playoff team after Sutter came in for a half a decade.

I didn't start following the Sharks until 2000 though, aside from some playoff games during those 94 and 95 runs.

Didn't like Wilson much.

Team got it's furthest with McLellan behind the bench though. A president's trophy and a two WCF appearances.

Aside from the 2014 disaster against LAK, I think Wilson was around for some of the more embarrassing playoff exits in the organization's history. Those 06 and 07 flame outs were pretty bad, 2008 wasn't much better. 03-04 was a great bounce back season with Wilson in his first season as head coach and a WCF appearance, and Doug's first season as GM. It was a whole lot of meh after that under Wilson.

Evil Janney

Jul 12, 2004
Todd McLellan. I'm sure Darryl will get votes based on what he's doing now with L.A. He was not that coach in San Jose. Hate to break it you.

San Jose wasn't that team that L.A. was when they won the cup. Sutter's success in San Jose has nothing to do with L.A.

Sutter got the most out of his players, not sure if you saw much of the Sharks during that time or even remember their rosters.

Mar 12, 2008
SF Bay Area
Kevin Constantine turned one of the worst NHL teams ever one year into a team that was a crossbar away from the conference finals in their 3rd year of existence. Damn that Johan Garpanlov...

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
San Jose wasn't that team that L.A. was when they won the cup. Sutter's success in San Jose has nothing to do with L.A.

Sutter got the most out of his players, not sure if you saw much of the Sharks during that time or even remember their rosters.

I remember the teams under Sutter, gritty teams stocked with sour veterans. It was a team you hated to face.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Never liked Wilson, but in retrospect, he did more with less than Todd has. Also, while Wilson may have called out Marleau once or twice, he could at least communicate with his Captain. For a guy who likes to drop the f-bomb every other word, Todd sure couldn't figure out a way to tell JT he was stripping the Captaincy. Nor could he ever define what a rebuild was, or who should captain the team this year.

I think he's a decent coach, but I do think his time with the Sharks should not be viewed as successful by any means. In fact, my worst memories of being a Sharks fan all occurred during the McLellan era. The locker room discord, stripping multiple captaincies, DW/JT spat that TM/LR seemed to be enabling rather than mending. The choke-jobs vs lesser opponents, the no-shows vs Chicago and Vancouver and StLouis, the 1st round bounce vs Anaheim... and of course the last series vs LAK. Instead of physical, tough teams, the Sharks became the softest playoff team in the West. Lots of poor shots, very little hitting, no grit.

Todd McLellan's teams were the most spineless Sharks teams in history with some of the most embarrassing moments both on and off the ice. I can't vote for him, so went with Wilson. Speaking of Wilson, do you guys remember the slot machine Line-o-Matic GIF for how he would set lines? Good times.

Last edited:

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Never liked Wilson, but in retrospect, he did more with less than Todd has. Also, while Wilson may have called out Marleau once or twice, he could at least communicate with his Captain. For a guy who likes to drop the f-bomb every other word, Todd sure couldn't figure out a way to tell JT he was stripping the Captaincy. Nor could he ever define what a rebuild was, or who should captain the team this year.

Doug Wilson stripped Joe of the C.

TheHockeyRant

Apr 19, 2014
Reno, NV
Whoa, didn't think it would be so overwhelmingly TMac. I do like that it isn't very clear cut though. I really don't know who I would vote for after listening to everyone because the fact is you're all right.
So I vote Cap Raeder 100% winning percentage!

AstroDan

Stars, cars, guitars
Jan 29, 2009
NorCal
Kevin Constantine turned one of the worst NHL teams ever one year into a team that was a crossbar away from the conference finals in their 3rd year of existence. Damn that Johan Garpanlov...

This.
Great hair, too!

Zeroz

Frightened Inmate #2
Jul 20, 2011
Oregon
Unfortunately for me, I wasn't around the Bay Area for the Kevin Constantine era plus I was toddler who knew nothing.
Its still TMac for me, I believe the teams downfall is a mix of DW stirring things up with a little bit of Todd stubbornness.

p.s. AstroDan, I heart your WildShark avatar.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Doug Wilson stripped Joe of the C.

Whoever made the decision, McLellan was the one who was supposed to do it and message it and he failed miserably. McLellan handled this like Lumberg from Office Space: just moving Milton's desk rather than telling him he's been fired.

"I talked with Todd today, and he never mentioned anything about captains or assistant captains," said Thornton.

Later, McLellan acknowledged that he could have been clearer in his "clean slate" talk with Thornton, and that the matter had been clarified. -Pollack

Also, I find it funny even players call them "assistant" captains rather than alternates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad