Who is the best Sharks coach in history?

TheHockeyRant

Apr 19, 2014
Reno, NV
Since TMac may be on his way out this summer I'm curious as to whom fans believe the best coach is in history.

yes McLellan has the best record by a long shot but in a lot of ways I think both Sutter and even Ron Wilson were superior.

To me a coach has one job, to get the MOST out of his players. Darryl Sutter probably acheived this most out of any coach. Ron Wilson did the same at least for 2004 and arguably 2006.

McLellan on the other hand really has only gotten the most out of his players in 2010 and 2011 and you could argue that losing in the conference finals was not the most those guys could do.

In any case I'm just curious as to whom everyone thinks the best coach in Sharks history is in peoples opinion. I'm at work

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Todd McLellan. I'm sure Darryl will get votes based on what he's doing now with L.A. He was not that coach in San Jose. Hate to break it you.

boylerroom

Jan 2, 2012
PRofKA
Sutter because he did more with less. Those teams would wreck these teams. Period. Tmacs teams are loaded with talent and little heart or grit. Sutter's Sharks overachieved all the time. Tmac inherited one of the best rosters in the NHL.

And it has nothing to do with LA's success. Sutter's teams are the exact opposite of Tmac.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Sutter because he did more with less. Those teams would wreck these teams. Period. Tmacs teams are loaded with talent and little heart or grit. Sutter's Sharks overachieved all the time. Tmac inherited one of the best rosters in the NHL.

And it has nothing to do with LA's success. Sutter's teams are the exact opposite of Tmac.

Wreck them physically? Maybe but still lose 6-2 since Sutter was not very good at adjustments during that time of his career. You act like those Sharks teams were talent starved...they weren't.

TheHockeyRant

Apr 19, 2014
Reno, NV
Wreck them physically? Maybe but still lose 6-2 since Sutter was not very good at adjustments during that time of his career. You act like those Sharks teams were talent starved...they weren't.

On defense they certainly were.

Anyway there really is not a right or wrong answer. It's very obvious that McLellan has had better teams so assessing the two is difficult especially pre and post 2005.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
Sutter, because his teams didn't choke. No one enjoyed playing those Sharks. I knew I would get an honest effort when I saw one of their games.

Other teams laugh while beating the Sharks now. It is just sad.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Ron Wilson. He got almost as good of results (you could argue better postseason results) with a much worse team than TMac.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Ron Wilson. He got almost as good of results (you could argue better postseason results) with a much worse team than TMac.

Wilson's teams choked more than TMacs. His first season was better than any of TMac's though.

Sutter is the best coach. He overachieved while TMac underachieved.

5H4RK5

May 3, 2007
Tmac with the right players equals possible cup and consistent playoffs.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Jamal Mayers told a writer that McLellan was the most well prepared coach he ever had

Then again, I remember he called Hertl's between-the-legs goal classless, so I don't value his opinion. :laugh:

I have to somewhat agree with HockeyRant that it's pretty hard to compare coaches. And McLellan hasn't exactly had a bad team that he made good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad