Who is the best international team ever?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
how do you figure that they should have never won that WC?

also....how do you even have the gall to say this about Brazil 02 yet you list Brazil 86 in your list of greatest teams :laugh::help:

Yep, because that 02 team cheated its way to the win. As simple as that.

As for Brazil 86 you clearly never saw them play if you can't see how vastly superior to that 02 team they were. But they faced a historic team in France 86 and barely lost on pens.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Yep, because that 02 team cheated its way to the win. As simple as that.

As for Brazil 86 you clearly never saw them play if you can't see how vastly superior to that 02 team they were. But they faced a historic team in France 86 and barely lost on pens.

okay. How did they cheat their way to the victory?

No I didn't see them, so please indulge me how was 86 "vastly" superior to a Brazilian team with Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Cafu, Roberto Carlos that, ohh wait, yes, actually won a World Cup...please tell me..

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well educate yourself.
On 86, you'll find some tapes.
And on 02, since you probably watched the games. Or ask any belgian fan.

Could we please stop with people trying to make a fool of themselves by calling out opinions on people who ACTUALLY saw the games?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Oh and BTW, that jamaican ref who spoiled Belgium was sent home right after the game...

Only to be promoted soon afterwards.

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
Well educate yourself.
On 86, you'll find some tapes.
And on 02, since you probably watched the games. Or ask any belgian fan.

Could we please stop with people trying to make a fool of themselves by calling out opinions on people who ACTUALLY saw the games?

World Cup 02 was marred by horrific officiating all around. If there is a team that certainly benefited the most was South Korea now that everyone can say without a doubt did not "deserve" to have gone to the semis. Even Germany could have been said to have benefited from officiating in that game vs USA. But heck even me as a fan of Spain can say Spain could have won in penalties. You are going to discount this Brazil WC winning team because Belgium was disallowed a goal when the game was 0-0 and Brazil ended up winning 2-0? that disallowed goal was in the 30something minute of the first half... so discount this Brazil team just for that ref error, but mention Brazil 86 as one of the greatest eve?? I don't care how many times you watched and ejaculated to that team, putting it ahead of Brazil 02 is just stupid and basically a sheer indication of what you are in these boards, here to argue for the sake of arguing and present yourself in an arrogant manner all the time. Brazil 02 won a WC , Brazil 86 did not...end of argument.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No, saying it's stupid to rank the 86 team over the 02 is just plain ignorance.
A true testimony of what you are in these boards.

EDIT : And BTW, you argued over the 86 team. I simply stated why we all ignored the 02 Brazil team.

Last edited:

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
lol okay Evilio..

cheers mate

o-PABST-BLUE-RIBBON-facebook.jpg

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yup, cheers.
And hopefully you can grab some 86 tapes and have fun. It was amazing football. Sometimes, a penalty shootout is a cruel way to lose, even if you're the best team.
Brazil could have beaten France 5-4 in that game and nobody would have said anything.
Arguably the best game in WC history too. Take a look at it, you'll have fun.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
In 1986 there were a lot of teams in their (attacking) prime like Belgium, Denmark, Soviets and France and Brazil weren't far from it. Even England with Lineker and Spain's Butragueno had their great moments.

Even Germany was sometimes more expressive than they're usually are in the finals. Mexico at home played close to their best level as well.

That said, I'd still say that Brazil '82 was a bit better than the '86 team, mainly because of fit Zico in 1982. Granted, Careca was miles better in 86 than hapless Serginho in 1982, so I won't protest too much if someone would pick 86 team ahead of the 82 team.

Great overall tournament though, apart from the wrong & undeserved winners of course.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Materazzi was pretty good in the 2006 WC final. He got Zidane sent off and scored that thundering header as well as scoring in the shootout...

Although he did concede a red vs the Aussies.

TBH Grosso did dive though.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Because Brazil 02 was much shinier on paper than on the pitch.
They never should have won that WC.

Eh. They were basically the only top team not to **** the bed at that tourney. That and the customary favorable-refereeing for the host nations is why Oliver Kahn was able to almost single-handedly carry us to the final against them...with a little help from Ballack & the white brazilian. They were by no means an all time great team, obviously, but they deserved that WM.

okay. How did they cheat their way to the victory?

No I didn't see them, so please indulge me how was 86 "vastly" superior to a Brazilian team with Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Cafu, Roberto Carlos that, ohh wait, yes, actually won a World Cup...please tell me..

Because they played much better football than the unspectacular 2002 side?

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If we're going to mention teams that haven't won the WC how about France '82-84? They were arguably cheated out of a spot in the World Cup finals in '82 and won the '84 Euros.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Eh. They were basically the only top team not to **** the bed at that tourney. That and the customary favorable-refereeing for the host nations is why Oliver Kahn was able to almost single-handedly carry us to the final against them...with a little help from Ballack & the white brazilian. They were by no means an all time great team, obviously, but they deserved that WM.

The semi against the Turks was iffy, though. But otherwise, I agree. The final was the first game Germany played well in that tournament.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
It has been very kind by all of you to leave the lone correct answer to me: After winning every match in qualification, Brazil won every game of WC 1970 as well. Many described the tournament as offensive revelation, so you find the flair added to total success.

Gruß,
BSHH

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009

they scored 18 goals and allowed 4 in 7 games. Won every game. In comparison the most legendary Brazil team of all time had 19 goals and 7 allowed. So statistics wise, Brazil 02 was basically on par or even better (best goal difference of any Brazilian WC team ever) than the legendary Brazil 70.

So "unspectacular"? 86 played better? ... I guess your Pabst makes you have very high standards.

I mean I'm just trying to understand because 02 was a winner 86 wasn't...and I'm sorry but that's a very very crucial element when ranking best teams ever..not to mention, again I have no idea what was "unspectacular" about 02 that you think 86 had? What else must 02 have done to be "spectacular" team to you? lol Brazil at that time was at the height of jogo bonito with the likes of Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Cafu, R.Carlos...heck even Kleberson was great in that tournament and had the likes of Denilson in the bench..I mean that team was clear cut above the rest and it's the last true legendary Brazilian team. It was the 21st century version of those legendary Pele teams. But ok.. I guess you have your opinion lol

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd suggest re-watching Brazil at the 2002 WC instead of just looking to stats and the names on paper. Their collective did not Jogo Bonita...despite how much money was put into that marketing campaign.

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
I'd suggest re-watching Brazil at the 2002 WC instead of just looking to stats and the names on paper. Their collective did not Jogo Bonita...despite how much money was put into that marketing campaign.

funny you mention that. I recorded a crap load of games from this WC. I remember back then I had a DVR, this was before the technology was monopolized by the cable/satellite providers that only allowed you to use it with a subscription.

Anyways, there's highlight videos on youtube of Ronaldinho alone in his amazing skills and performances in this WC. As a team?..well they won the WC lol... watching Cafu or R.Carlo's runs, or Rivaldo's long balls, I mean this team was a treat..I truly don't understand your bashing..

To be honest, my favorite team in that tournament was Senegal. I absolutely loved their style and I always like these underdog teams like Romania and Bulgaria in 94. But this thread is about best intl. teams ever, and this Brazil team was one of the best Brazil teams. Again, I fail to understand your total dismissal of this team. Specially calling them "unspectacular".

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
funny you mention that. I recorded a crap load of games from this WC. I remember back then I had a DVR, this was before the technology was monopolized by the cable/satellite providers that only allowed you to use it with a subscription.

Anyways, there's highlight videos on youtube of Ronaldinho alone in his amazing skills and performances in this WC. As a team?..well they won the WC lol... watching Cafu or R.Carlo's runs, or Rivaldo's long balls, I mean this team was a treat..I truly don't understand your bashing..

To be honest, my favorite team in that tournament was Senegal. I absolutely loved their style and I always like these underdog teams like Romania and Bulgaria in 94. But this thread is about best intl. teams ever, and this Brazil team was one of the best Brazil teams. Again, I fail to understand your total dismissal of this team. Specially calling them "unspectacular".
Because they weren't.
They didn't play together and their individual talent never added to the collective talent.
They won because of individual plays in fact.

I can't see what's hard to understand :dunno:
If you've watched the games, it's obvious. Since you have, :dunno:

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
it seems like at this point you're just literally arguing semantics. How did they not play together ? and how did their individuals not add to the collective? hahahaha it's obvious Evilio? All you do to back up these straw mens is just "go watch", "they weren't", "it's obvious"....lol how is the loser 86 team "spectacular" yet the team that brought Brazil it's last title with the highest goal differential and loaded with modern Brazil legends simply "unspectacular". I'm interested to know how you come up with this conclusion to these labels and how you're basing these criterias to rank or list the best teams? I want to know because apparently Brazil 02 has no business being one of the best Brazil teams ever.....but I think I know why....they were in the wrong era for the hipsterest of the hipsters in this board, Mr. Evilio

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad