Who is the Avs most important player not named MacKinnon?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Hello Avs nation!

As we head into the stretch drive towards the playoffs I thought it would be fun to get everyone’s thoughts on some of the upper-echelon players on this team.

My question is this. Who do you think is the Avs most important player, outside of MacKinnon?

Is there any one player, who would you have you extremely nervous, if they were out for a playoff series?

Who do the Avs need the most outside of MacK?

EDIT: I am asking about this season specifically, not about future years.

Last edited:

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
Who ever starts in net, this team really struggles when they dont get consistency from the back end, not just the obvious goals against, but mentally too

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Makar
Rantanen

Grubauer/Francouz/Girard

Kadri
Landeskog; less for his play, more for those intangy's
Compher/PEB/Nichushkin/Donskoi/Bura/Calvert/Graves/Cole/Good Zadorov

Byram, Timmins, Newhook are not 'important' to the team on the ice right now so I didn't place them.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Goaltending is the most important position, but seeing as the Avs have two capable goalies I would go in another direction.

For me, it’s between Makar and Rantanen. Those two, along with MacK, drive the bus offensively.

Honestly, I think they would be in big trouble in a playoff series without either of them. I’d probably say Makar, because the Avs are deeper up-front than they are on the backend, but I dunno.

Rantanen’s already proven to be a big game player, so it’s tough to say.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Nah, goaltending by far. Makar after that.

If they were still scoring almost 4 goals a game regularly I'd maybe change my mind.

All due respect, "goaltending" is not a player.

And really, goaltending is supremely over-valued by a lot of teams. You just need your goalies to be "good enough." Making major investments in netminders almost always backfires. The Avs went about it the right way, they went out and got a couple relatively inexpensive netminders and are trying to develop a couple options from within the system. Compare that to what Florida did this offseason, or what Montreal did with Price.

Is goaltending important? Sure it is, but not as important as snagging that top-tier center and defenseman. I'd argue goaltending isn't even as important as getting a legit scoring winger or two, 2nd line center, or defensive forwards. Obviously you can't afford to screw it up, but I think the margin for error is bigger than most people think. There are a plethora of goalies out there and each team only really needs two.

If you're making a sizable investment in goaltending, it should be in a good goalie coach.

Reactions: rmthomson21

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Depends on what we mean by most important. A replacement-level goalie wouldn't hurt us as much as having to replace Cale with a replacement-level blueliner.

I think it might if we can't score enough to overcome replacement level goaltending.

If Huch plays, and they are so good defensively they make that dude look passable, and can score enough I'll change my mind lol.

Look at what goaltending is doing to Carolina.

All due respect, "goaltending" is not a player.

And really, goaltending is supremely over-valued by a lot of teams. You just need your goalies to be "good enough." Making major investments in netminders almost always backfires. The Avs went about it the right way, they went out and got a couple relatively inexpensive netminders and are trying to develop a couple options from within the system. Compare that to what Florida did this offseason, or what Montreal did with Price.

Is goaltending important? Sure it is, but not as important as snagging that top-tier center and defenseman. I'd argue goaltending isn't even as important as getting a legit scoring winger or two, 2nd line center, or defensive forwards. Obviously you can't afford to screw it up, but I think the margin for error is bigger than most people think. There are a plethora of goalies out there and each team only really needs two.

If you're making a sizable investment in goaltending, it should be in a good goalie coach.

Oh god lol wall of text with a team building tangent.

I'm talking about our team, down the stretch here and into the playoffs. We need one of our goalies to play extremely well. Especially right now with injuries, and our scoring being down.

If Frank hadn't been as good as he was our record would look very different over the last little while.

I guess right now its Frank.

We're not scoring enough to have an average goalie right now.

I am curious to see how much of an impact team defense is having though. So I'll be curious to see what happens when Huch plays.

Last edited:

humbury8

Jul 1, 2019
I'd say Makar, Girard, Graves, Cole, Zadorov and Johnson as I don't believe that we have good replacement for them right now.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Makar
Rantanen

Grubauer/Francouz/Girard

Kadri
Landeskog; less for his play, more for those intangy's
Compher/PEB/Nichushkin/Donskoi/Bura/Calvert/Graves/Cole/Good Zadorov

Byram, Timmins, Newhook are not 'important' to the team on the ice right now so I didn't place them.

Is Jost above or below Barberio?

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
Mikko hasn't been the second most important forward on the team at any point all year except maybe the start.

We'd be running away with the Division if he was.
He definitely hasn't played like the second most important player, but to me, that doesn't mean he isn't the second most important player.

I think particularly in the playoffs, Mikko at his best slightly edges Makar at his best.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
He definitely hasn't played like the second most important player, but to me, that doesn't mean he isn't the second most important player.

I think particularly in the playoffs, Mikko at his best slightly edges Makar at his best.

I'd go with Makar, but I get it. We've just basically had the year we've had without Mikko for most of it. Playoffs could be a different animal.

Reactions: AegonLeConqueror

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad