Who is the 2nd best goal scorer of the NHL?

2nd best scorer

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Laine, obviously McDavid would win handily if it was points, but Laine is the best pure goal scorer since Ovy and will fill in that slot as Ovy declines.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Laine or Matthews here. I went with Laine as Matthews health is a bit of a concern and I think Laine will be a better pure goal scorer.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Matthews: 0.54 goals per game
Laine: 0.53

Matthews is better, but it's close. Laine is also hurt by only currently only being a top threat to score in a small part of the game, even if he's the best at it
Better? That looks about as equal as you can get. A .01 goal per game is pretty meaningless.
Talk about grasping at straws!

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Better? That looks about as equal as you can get. A .01 goal per game is pretty meaningless.
Talk about grasping at straws!
Yes, voting for the guy who scores more goals per game is grasping at straws. I should have gone with a smart argument, like deciding that health is directly affected by goal scoring ability. It's funny how it's only too close to call when it comes to voting for Matthews, though. You had no trouble voting for Laine

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yes, voting for the guy who scores more goals per game is grasping at straws. I should have gone with a smart argument, like deciding that health is directly affected by goal scoring ability. It's funny how it's only too close to call when it comes to voting for Matthews, though. You had no trouble voting for Laine
Yes I voted Laine. But I never argued a .01 GPG made one a slightly better goal scorer. They’re both equal.
I’ve also stated a number of times that I think Matthews is the better overall player.
Now if Laine had a .01 PPG lead I can just imagine you moving the goal posts and arguing their stats were equal.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Yes I voted Laine. But I never argued a .01 GPG made one slightly better.
Now if Laine had a .01 PPG lead I can just imagine you moving the goal posts to try to justify picking the Leaf player
:laugh:
you: Laine but close
me: Matthews but close
you: You can't say that, it's too close!

classic. There's no mental gymnastics you won't try in order to vote against the Leaf player

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
They must have made you and honorary Finn....In my books .01 is still better! All the Finns would be doing cartwheels to prove the .01 is better.
Then you must be an honorary American and Trump supporter.
For the record I don’t vote based on nationality. .01 per cent is splitting hairs.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Laine is a wonderful goal scorer, and does some things better than Matthews (such as the Kovalchuk/Ovechkin/Stamkos style one-timer on the PP), but it's hard to put him outright better than Matthews.

Over the past two seasons (plus the beginning of this season) of even-strength play, Matthews scores goals at an astounding 1.68 per 60 minutes played. Laine is at 1.24.

On the PP, both are absurdly good, with Laine clocking in at 4.12 goals per 60 to Matthews's 3.02. It evens out somewhat when you look at primary point contribution, though, where they are basically the same (5.07 p1/60 to 5.03).

To sum, Laine is a better PP goal scorer, and Matthews is a better ES goal scorer. And Matthews's primary point contribution on the PP really negates his advantage there, and primary assist+goal scoring rates on the PP probably reflect more Leafs PP1 shooting options.

There is really no strong argument to make that Laine is a better overall goal scorer, and plenty of evidence to suggest Matthews is a much better overall player.

Reactions: authentic

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Laine is the choice here IMO but I was a dumb dumb and mis-clicked Pasta who is also not a bad choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad