Who is the #2 goalie?

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
With the way it ended during the playoffs, Dustin Tokarski took over the starting position from Price when he was injured. Many people where shocked that the veteran Peter Budaj didn't get the chance to start against the Rangers.

The way Tokarski played, everybody assumed that Budaj would be gone but here we are in the month of August and Budaj is still with the team.

Anybody surprised that he didn't get moved yet? Do you think he will start the season in Montreal?

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Well, I'm a little surprised the rest of the league was smart/patient enough to just wait for the UFA dust to settle and set themselves up in nets without pre-emptively taking Budaj off our hands. But there's basically nothing to do now but wait for camp. See where the injuries are, if any, find out how things are looking at the time. The playoffs say Tokarski has the definite upper hand as of today, still. Things can change. Carey Price isn't even going to start skating for another couple weeks, right? Who knows what the future holds...

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Well, I'm a little surprised the rest of the league was smart/patient enough to just wait for the UFA dust to settle and set themselves up in nets without pre-emptively taking Budaj off our hands. But there's basically nothing to do now but wait for camp. See where the injuries are, if any, find out how things are looking at the time. The playoffs say Tokarski has the definite upper hand as of today, still. Things can change. Carey Price isn't even going to start skating for another couple weeks, right? Who knows what the future holds...

Really? I remember people saying price was really close, and would have been available against LA.

Has he still been recovering? Or has he not skated simply because the time of year?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Like I said before, have the feeling that preseason will determine it. Yet....tough to go against the kid that played the playoffs and just played ahead of the way more experienced guy. But that's how it's probably going to be.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
Losing Dustin Tokarski on waivers in order to keep an inferior goalie with 1 year left on a cheap contract in Peter Budaj would be akin to mismanagement gaffes of the Gainey/Gauthier era.

Budaj's been a good soldier and by every account he's an incredible person and teammate, but that bridge was burned when Therrien didn't trust him enough to step in for Price and went with our #3 goalie with less than a dozen legitimate games of NHL experience.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
With the youth movement, I think Budaj will be placed on waviers. Dustin Tokarski has been very good.

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa
Budaj and Price have a very strong relationship and everything you hear about Budaj is that he is well liked in the room and a true professional. But, I don't think you can walk back the decision that was made to go with Tokarski when Price got injured. You just can't pretend that didn't happen. I think Budaj needs to be moved.

Toro

Sep 6, 2005
Windsor
Tokarski is the #2 goalie in montreal...Even if Budaj is the backup...If Price goes down the toker will be in the nets.

boyinboyin

Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
Budaj is the perfect 2nd goalie ! Since peter has no value, we should trade Tok even if we will not get his full value...

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
People are quick to forget how Budaj had a winning record when Price was injured last year during the reg season and our playoff hopes were in jeopardy.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
What a ****ing joke if Budaj is back.

Tokarski was the one who was trusted (not Budaj) during playoffs, but bring Budaj back?????????????????????????????
(Budaj was already slapped in the face during the playoffs...now some of you want to bring him back for more slapping??????).

__?__ + Budaj
FOR
9th forward (to improve our top 9 depth...more competition for Andrighetto/Sekac and whoever else is up for the challenge).

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If Budaj was number 2 he would have been the clear choice to play when Price went down.....

Budaj can save 1.4 million in cap space. Tokarski is at what? 562K?? That saves 800K! No brainer, besides Tokarski is a better, more reliable back up!

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I like Budaj and feel he is much more capable than many let on, but I don't see how you can bring him back after you by-passed him when the chips were down because you thought the guy in the AHL gave you a better chance of winning.

Stranger things have happened, I suppose, I would find it very odd if this were to happen though.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
So if Tokarski is the bona fide #2 loan Budaj out to a European club thus avoiding cap hit as well as opening up a spot on the roster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad