Who is the 10th Best Centre?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I used to like watching Matthews play, but Leafs fans have ruined him for me. Just like Jets fans + Finns did for Laine. They are now both very unlikeable players only because of their supporters. For Matthews it has been much more gradual, but for Laine it was almost immediate. The hype, plus the put-downs of other, equal, players.

I still have Eichel. Don't screw it up, Sabres fans. Everybody loves an underrated star player.
Oh come on you can not be serious. Last season it was the Leafs fans having to defend Matthews over and over with proven stats that showed he was better. However every Jets fan and Laine fan from Finland would not believe it. Don't hate Matthews because of one poll question.

Reactions: SotasicA

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
So even though before the regular season we saw on NHL.com them ranking Matthews as the 4th best centre they were all wrong, however all the posters on HF were right to not vote for him until the 10th time being asked or TSN who ranked him 8th in their top 50 player list was also wrong?

Because if something gets posted in nhl.com, that's like what the Bible is to Christians?

I saw an article on sportsnet where at season start the Bruins were projected 20th overall and Edmonton 4th overall.

Bottom line, an article on nhl.com means zero, unless ACTUAL PERFORMANCE backs that article up and Matthews, by his performance in 17-18 so far, is nowhere near the 4th best center in the league.

Nice and easy.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Looking at their stats for this season so far the numbers show Matthews is better than him.

Matthews: GP 46, Goals 25, Assists 18, Points 43, +23.

Getzlaf: GP 31, Goals 7, Assists 27, Points 34, +12.

Yeah, because 0.93 ppg somehow >>> 1.10 ppg. Hooray for logic!

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Like others have mentioned, this list lost all credibility the moment MacKinnon entered the list at 8th spot from a successful half season in all of his 4 or 5 years. We all know what McDavid is but honestly IMO, he is not the second best centre in the league. He is definitely the MOST entertaining, but that does not make him a #2 centre. I get he got his hundred points and he's more than a PPG but McDavid at 2? C'mon! Within a few years? Ofcourse, but he is definitely not #2 right now all-time. He has a lot to work on. How do you have MacK in at 8 over Getzlaf and Backstrom :sarcasm:??

Everyone is saying the centres in the NHL are high quality which i agree with. All these centres with years and years of work e.g. Getzlaf, Seguin, Backstrom, Barkov, Toews....nowhere to be found? What happened to real stats to measure centres, like FO percentage, defensive zone starts, etc. You can see my profile pic, and it's clear I'm a Leafs fan but that doesn't mean I am advocating Matthews to be 10th. But if MacKinnon made it, it makes ZERO sense for Matthews not to be there. Flame me if you want. With the players left there is no way MacKinnon should be there. Getz, Backstrom, Seguin?? My goodness. Can't put much into this poll. I only agree with the first option, obviously Crosby.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Because if something gets posted in nhl.com, that's like what the Bible is to Christians?

I saw an article on sportsnet where at season start the Bruins were projected 20th overall and Edmonton 4th overall.

Bottom line, an article on nhl.com means zero, unless ACTUAL PERFORMANCE backs that article up and Matthews, by his performance in 17-18 so far, is nowhere near the 4th best center in the league.

Nice and easy.
The thing if you are not a Leafs fan everyone was so offended at where they had Matthews ranked.

I don't recall anyone being offended at Connor McDavid being ranked #37 on TSN's top 50 list before he even played a game prior to his rookie season.

Any list that had Matthews ranked #4 on NHL.com among Centres or #8 on TSN's top 50 list was based on what he did last season and projected to do this season.

Now projections can be wrong like where the Bruins and Oilers were ranked, but it was based on last season and what they thought both teams would do this year.

Honestly did anyone see the Bruins going on that huge undefeated streak?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Who wants to bet on which side would be whining if the tables were turned?
No worries we're ok :)

The experts vote Matthews as a top-10 player in the league. HFBoards doesn't want him as a top-10 center.

We're very OK with the former than the latter.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Andersen kept the Leafs in a game I say it was his performance against Nashville.

As for Miller being awful is that another excuse saying it was why the Leafs won?
Which brings us back to How does this prove Matthews dominated Getzlaf head to head? You do understand what head to head is?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
No worries we're ok :)

The experts vote Matthews as a top-10 player in the league. HFBoards doesn't want him as a top-10 center.

We're very OK with the former than the latter.

Experts also say Toews is better than Malkin.

Suffice to say they don't know any more than we do, lol.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Like others have mentioned, this list lost all credibility the moment MacKinnon entered the list at 8th spot from a successful half season in all of his 4 or 5 years. We all know what McDavid is but honestly IMO, he is not the second best centre in the league. He is definitely the MOST entertaining, but that does not make him a #2 centre. I get he got his hundred points and he's more than a PPG but McDavid at 2? C'mon! Within a few years? Ofcourse, but he is definitely not #2 right now all-time. He has a lot to work on. How do you have MacK in at 8 over Getzlaf and Backstrom :sarcasm:??

Everyone is saying the centres in the NHL are high quality which i agree with. All these centres with years and years of work e.g. Getzlaf, Seguin, Backstrom, Barkov, Toews....nowhere to be found? What happened to real stats to measure centres, like FO percentage, defensive zone starts, etc. You can see my profile pic, and it's clear I'm a Leafs fan but that doesn't mean I am advocating Matthews to be 10th. But if MacKinnon made it, it makes ZERO sense for Matthews not to be there. Flame me if you want. With the players left there is no way MacKinnon should be there. Getz, Backstrom, Seguin?? My goodness. Can't put much into this poll. I only agree with the first option, obviously Crosby.
With MacKinnon I say it's more of what have you done for me lately when he is finally playing like the player everyone thought he would when he got selected 1st overall in 2013.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Which brings us back to How does this prove Matthews dominated Getzlaf head to head? You do understand what head to head is?
I understand what head to head is.

I just think you can not say Getzlaf had a better game when Matthews clearly had better numbers. Who cares that their lines did not play against each other. If anything that's another example of you trying to diminish what Matthews did coming off a bad night in Boston.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Experts also say Toews is better than Malkin.

Suffice to say they don't know any more than we do, lol.
No worries. I have no problem agreeing with you there.

We're completely justified having Matthews as a top-10 C, you guys just seem really bitter about it.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
The thing if you are not a Leafs fan everyone was so offended at where they had Matthews ranked.

I don't recall anyone being offended at Connor McDavid being ranked #37 on TSN's top 50 list before he even played a game prior to his rookie season.

Any list that had Matthews ranked #4 on NHL.com among Centres or #8 on TSN's top 50 list was based on what he did last season and projected to do this season.

Now projections can be wrong like where the Bruins and Oilers were ranked, but it was based on last season and what they thought both teams would do this year.

Honestly did anyone see the Bruins going on that huge undefeated streak?

Forget about "being offended"... The point here is that what an article says, has value only if it's then backed up by actual performance.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Perhaps you should put that question to your own fanbase.

Why on earth some of your fans felt the need for vote brigading is beyond me. For the exact reasons you stated.
Point is, it's over now. Done. Over. Gone.
And people like you are still bitching about it like it's a big deal in your life. Move on.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
no it isn't. why would an expert in the field not have a more valuable opinion than random people on the internet?
Those experts are the hockey equivalent of celebrities. In reality, they're just as stupid as we are.

But if you want evidence, just take a gander at the NHL's love affair with Jonathan Toews. Hell, their top-20 center list was somehow worse than this one.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
no it isn't. why would an expert in the field not have a more valuable opinion than random people on the internet?
Because #1 they aren't experts, and #2 because appeal to authority only works when said authority is respected as such by both sides, which in this case isn't true for either side. You'd call them idiots if they didn't have an opinion that sort of lined up with yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad