Who is right? Foligno (concerned) Johansen (Just chill folks)

PubOFH

Nov 17, 2005
Johnstown, OH
So two different attitudes coming out of the locker room.

The Captain seems concerned.
“(We need) a do or die attitude,†Foligno said. “We don’t feel like there are any consequences if we’re making mistakes, and we’re not getting pucks in deep, we’re swinging off checks. We’re not playing our system fully.
“It’s disappointing because we think it’s just going to happen with a snap of the finger, a flip of the switch. It’s not happening right now. It too good of a league. We have to be better.â€

Young Ryan Johansen seems pretty chill about it.
“In sports, it’s never going to be all rainbows and butterflies,†Johansen said.
Asked if this felt like last season – the Jackets were 6-15-2 by mid-November – Johansen shot it down.
“Not at all,†he said. “We’re probably, what, three points out of a playoff spot right now? Three or four? Why not just start something, start a streak going. We have a home stretch here. Win a few games at home and we’re right back where we want to be.
“We have absolutely nothing to worry about. Like I said, we’re going to drawing board knowing what we need to fix already. There’s no mystery with what we need to ix. We have to be more diciplined and manage the gray areas better.â€

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Foligno.

Long term I have concerns that Joey will turn out to be Nash 2.0. Spectacular at times and a non-factor for stretches.

Jarmo's biggest decision will come next July 1- Extend Joey for 8 years at a bazillion per or try to trade him for a bundle of talent. At the risk of alienating all the fanboys I'd strongly consider the latter.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Young Ryan Johansen seems pretty chill about it : We’re probably, what, three points out of a playoff spot right now? Three or four?
Out of a possible 6. This right here is why this guy is trouble.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Foligno.

Long term I have concerns that Joey will turn out to be Nash 2.0. Spectacular at times and a non-factor for stretches.

Jarmo's biggest decision will come next July 1- Extend Joey for 8 years at a bazillion per or try to trade him for a bundle of talent. At the risk of alienating all the fanboys I'd strongly consider the latter.

Joey is becoming Nash 2.0

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Don't know and don't care. (Also, a link to read these quotes in context would be a big help.)

But I do know that Nick's handling some of his captain's duties well, i.e. the part where he says what the fans want to hear. Note the early results of this poll. I'm surprised he didn't mention 'bag skate.'

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I can sort of see Johansen's mindset here, but I think they need to be a little concerned here and needing some points, so I am going with Foligno here. Ryan Murray had said "this was unacceptable" in his postgame interview after the Buffalo game and said his play needs to be better.

Maybe, it' was a good thing they didn't hand the A to Johansen this offseason?

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Young teams that have never tasted real success are almost always fragile. They can get on bad runs and then all of a sudden start playing like an elite team. Because you know you have to get north of 90 points to make the playoffs you just can't afford to get off to a 6-14 start because you then need 2 long winning streaks to make the playoffs and no more bad runs. At 0-3 it is pretty easy to bounce back, but i will feel a lot better if they get back from the upcoming road trip at .500

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I feel like I'm the only one on Joey's side. He acknowledges that they're play is bad, but he's right there's no need to panic. Panicking about why the play is so bad is just gonna make things work. Everyone needs to take a breath, watch some game tape, point out the flaws and work on them. This team will be fine and they will turn things around. It's the first 3 games of the season. There's plenty of time to right this ship.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
There's some truth to both positions. This is going to test Foligno's leadership as Captain. We'll see what happens.

Espen, as far as your position, I'm not a Joey fanboy, but this organization would be absolutely insane to trade Joey. To me, he is the best player in the organization's history, even better than Nash. Last season he carried this team for a good portion of the season. He's off to a slow start, but really has done to qualify as a whipping boy around here.

Frustration is warranted by the fans, but crazy overreaction will just put this organization back to square one.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
There's some truth to both positions. This is going to test Foligno's leadership as Captain. We'll see what happens.

Espen, as far as your position, I'm not a Joey fanboy, but this organization would be absolutely insane to trade Joey. To me, he is the best player in the organization's history, even better than Nash. Last season he carried this team for a good portion of the season. He's off to a slow start, but really has done to qualify as a whipping boy around here.

Frustration is warranted by the fans, but crazy overreaction will just put this organization back to square one.
He's not even off to a slow start. He has 3 pts in 3 games? If that's slow I want to see him at %100. We know Johansen doesn't look like he's going 100% all the time, but even when he doesn't look like he's giving it his all he still produces. Something that can't be said for Nash.

Last edited:

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I read this as two sides of the same coin.

Joey wants people to calm down because they can fix this. Foligno is detailing the fix.

/shrug

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I don't have a problem with either comment. Both are valid, and not really all that far apart.

the only real difference between the two is that one is by a veteran, and another is by a young player. veterans tend to understand the importance of seizing the moment over a younger person who doesn't yet realize that their moments are limited.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Both are valid. On a game-to-game basis, Foligno is right in the sense that there's no way to simply skate through games. On a big picture basis, Johansen is because we're three games into the season and have 79 to go.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

I don't necessarily disagree but it is plausible to me to look out a few years, see Joey float his way to 60 or so points, his approach rub off on other young players and fans screaming to trade him. Maybe it is a generational thing but I like to see guys go balls to the wall all the time not when they feel the need. Think Dubi/Foligno rather than Nash/Joey. Clearly the latter pair have more talent;the first two have more fire.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I don't necessarily disagree but it is plausible to me to look out a few years, see Joey float his way to 60 or so points, his approach rub off on other young players and fans screaming to trade him. Maybe it is a generational thing but I like to see guys go balls to the wall all the time not when they feel the need. Think Dubi/Foligno rather than Nash/Joey. Clearly the latter pair have more talent;the first two have more fire.

The problem with this thought is that Dubi and Foligno are younger than Nash, though I realize you saying that more as a fan for what you want to see.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The problem with this thought is that Dubi and Foligno are younger than Nash, though I realize you saying that more as a fan for what you want to see.

Nash floated when he was their age. He rarely showed the heart and soul they do. I'd take a bit more Nash like skill in Dubi & Nick and a little more heart in Nash/Joey and be extremely happy.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

First, floating is hardly a generational thing. Players in all sports at all points in history have been accused of being emblematic of "the younger generation" that doesn't go all-out all the time. Or All Out, All Season.

Second, although it's a nice thought to have guys go full tilt all the time, it's still an 82-game season and then the playoffs. Guys who truly go all out all the time tend to break down and artificially shorten their careers; I'd rather have a guy play an uninspired couple of games and play 82 than dangerously throw himself in front of a shot and miss 4-to-6 weeks with a broken foot, or suffer a nagging injury from "sending a message" in the third period of a 6-1 loss that's going to keep him at 70% for a couple weeks until he has to sit out a game or two anyway. Ask Red Sox fans what they think of Rick Burleson; they'll love the fact that he played all out all the time, but not the fact that he was done as a player when he was 29 as a direct result of it.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Both are valid. On a game-to-game basis, Foligno is right in the sense that there's no way to simply skate through games. On a big picture basis, Johansen is because we're three games into the season and have 79 to go.

Yes, and different personalities, different approaches to adversity.

Joey is not the type of guy to freak out and get out of his game because of 3 losses.

Nick is the type of guy that raises his personal intensity level when things get tough.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
First, floating is hardly a generational thing. Players in all sports at all points in history have been accused of being emblematic of "the younger generation" that doesn't go all-out all the time. Or All Out, All Season.

Second, although it's a nice thought to have guys go full tilt all the time, it's still an 82-game season and then the playoffs. Guys who truly go all out all the time tend to break down and artificially shorten their careers; I'd rather have a guy play an uninspired couple of games and play 82 than dangerously throw himself in front of a shot and miss 4-to-6 weeks with a broken foot, or suffer a nagging injury from "sending a message" in the third period of a 6-1 loss that's going to keep him at 70% for a couple weeks until he has to sit out a game or two anyway. Ask Red Sox fans what they think of Rick Burleson; they'll love the fact that he played all out all the time, but not the fact that he was done as a player when he was 29 as a direct result of it.

I was referring to m preference versus a younger guys not the actual floating.
As to the rest of your argument some is valid, some not. Sending a message in a 6-1 loss is stupid. Blocking a shot and suffering an injury is not the same but as a player I would probably hold up in aforementioned 6-1 loss but wouldn't hesitate earlier in a 1-0 game (this is theoretical I wouldn't jump in front of any puck intentionally at any time :laugh:).
My definition of all out all the time may not be accurate. Perhaps it is better defined as "fully engaged showing effort" all the time.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Little bit of both as far as I am concerned.

Pens are 0-3, picked as an Eastern Conference Cup contender

Ducks are 0-1-1, picked by many to WIN the Cup.

Too early to panic.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
It's a reflection of their respective personalities. I am not sure you can judge 'right' or 'wrong'.

I'd be more interested in the uncensored Dubinsky answer.

PubOFH

Nov 17, 2005
Johnstown, OH
Don't know and don't care. (Also, a link to read these quotes in context would be a big help.)

But I do know that Nick's handling some of his captain's duties well, i.e. the part where he says what the fans want to hear. Note the early results of this poll. I'm surprised he didn't mention 'bag skate.'

Dont know dont care? Thought you were a hockey fan? Do you read the dispatch coverage ever? Sheeeshh. :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Here is your precious link

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2015/10/g3-buffaloed-again.html

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00