Who is our worst defenseman?

Who is our worst defenseman?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I love ya @ziggyjoe212 but you lost me at "Maatta is always rock in the playoffs" because that's exactly what he is not. In the 2017 run, he was probably our worst dman and we had a Letang-less defense. He was abused in the Ottawa series.

Absolutely not. While you feel sometimes people on boards say stuff to agree with others, people who say Maatta has been a rock in the playoffs are turning a blind eye.

It’s kind of funny you say that he was our worst D man in the playoffs. I thought he was our best until the cup final. At the end of the playoffs I had Dumo as our best but I had Maatta 2nd. Weird how we get such a varied opinion. That was strictly from the eye test too (and memory :laugh:) I didn’t look at any stats at all.

I didn’t think he was that great in 15/16 though.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I thought 16-17 was the better of his two runs and that he was our best dman who doesn't like drinking three beers at the same time during it. Weird how the eye test goes here.

He's also got the lowest GA/60 of any of our dmen other than Lovejoy since 15-16. I'd agree that he's been up and down in the play-offs, but I think he's been more up than down.

:laugh: We were pretty much typing out the same thing as your first paragraph at the same time.

Reactions: Peat

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Maatta is still better than Johnson, we've actually seen Maatta be very good...just last season.

I think Maatta-Riikola could be good, Maatta just needs to stop pinching.

Oleksiak is the worst.

Johnson atleast is physical and has looked decent in playoff like games where the refs let him play with a bit of a 1998 game.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I thought Maatta was really good in the 17' run. Just had a few highlights on him. I'd say he was just as good as Dumo and Cole were.

He was bad in 16' run.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I honestly can't pick one. It's probably different on any given night.

Maatta is probably more consistent defensively than Olek but I think when Maatta shits the bed he does it in spectacular fashion and at the worst times.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Go and watch the 2017 playoff series highlights vs Columbus. Or any Pens vs Columbus game. Johnson is on the ice for like every goal, out of position or simply chasing a guy around the net. It’s like every damn goal man.

It’s not a coincidence he gets scored on all the time every year.

Exactly.

Bad things tend to happen when JJ is on the ice. Sometimes they aren't directly his fault, but it's usually no coincidence things begin unraveling for his team when he's out there.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I love ya @ziggyjoe212 but you lost me at "Maatta is always rock in the playoffs" because that's exactly what he is not. In the 2017 run, he was probably our worst dman and we had a Letang-less defense. He was abused in the Ottawa series.

Absolutely not. While you feel sometimes people on boards say stuff to agree with others, people who say Maatta has been a rock in the playoffs are turning a blind eye.
This is a great example of the disconnect between HF Penguins and reality. Maatta is having a rough season, but groupthink is a powerful thing, powerful enough to change the past apparently.

Maybe you can only remember one goal in the Ottawa series, but Maatta was their best Dman overall in rounds 2 and 3.

Reactions: Turin

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, it's tough to pick depending on if you're going right at this very moment? Their full careers? In the future?

None of it really matters.
2 of the 3 gots ta go and probably 3 of the 3 in the longer term.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This is a great example of the disconnect between HF Penguins and reality. Maatta is having a rough season, but groupthink is a powerful thing, powerful enough to change the past apparently.

Maybe you can only remember one goal in the Ottawa series, but Maatta was their best Dman overall in rounds 2 and 3.

Yeah I'll disagree. That year was interesting, too. I thought Hainsey was terrific and argued @pixiesfanyo a lot regarding it. I thought Maatta was our weakest link. But being the weakest link of that group was still stepping up and playing well enough. But he was the one that bent the most without breaking.

With that being said - I'm either the dumbest poster on HF (very possible) or i'm on to something. Defense was what I played since I was 4. I studied the position like crazy. I'm trusting my eyes and trusting my gut on this. But hey... i'll agree to disagree. I'm either the dumbest poster or i'm seeing something others don't.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Maatta. I think he's the only player in the NHL I can confidently say I can beat in a foot race.

He's the only player on the Pens who is physically stressful for me to watch because I feel like I have to lean forward on my couch to push him along every time he's slogging through mud.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah I'll disagree. That year was interesting, too. I thought Hainsey was terrific and argued @pixiesfanyo a lot regarding it. I thought Maatta was our weakest link. But being the weakest link of that group was still stepping up and playing well enough. But he was the one that bent the most without breaking.

With that being said - I'm either the dumbest poster on HF (very possible) or i'm on to something. Defense was what I played since I was 4. I studied the position like crazy. I'm trusting my eyes and trusting my gut on this. But hey... i'll agree to disagree. I'm either the dumbest poster or i'm seeing something others don't.

Maatta's game is the easiest to evaluate on video. You don't even have to pause or slow down the footage in order to point out his mistakes.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Woah woah woah woah woah.

I was a huge supporter of Hainsey. Still am tbh.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Maatta by a mile. He can't skate at anything close to an NHL level.

That alone makes him the worst. But that lack of foot speed causes him to make stupid decisions with the puck because he can't skate it out of danger.

He's brutal right now.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Woah woah woah woah woah.

I was a huge supporter of Hainsey. Still am tbh.

Well now I don't know what is real. I fought someone over Hainsey. People claimed he was the worst defender and that was utter bullshit. The dude was playing like 3 spots above his actual ability and doing amazing things with it. It wasn't the prettiest, but it worked.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Well now I don't know what is real. I fought someone over Hainsey. People claimed he was the worst defender and that was utter bull****. The dude was playing like 3 spots above his actual ability and doing amazing things with it. It wasn't the prettiest, but it worked.

Yeah, I was one of the people doing that as well.

Hainsey was great here. That goal in Game 5 gave me all the satisfaction in the world to the “we are done, Hainsey can’t move a puck” crowd.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Guys.

Put Oleksiak in Maatta’s spot in 2017 and late 2016 and we don’t win any Cups. Not one.
But this isn’t 2016/2017

However, I’ll concede your underlying point and just point to @ColePens earlier post on usage.

(However, I believe Maatta continues to get worse because The League keeps getting faster, but he stays the saaaaaame speeeeeeed)

Edit: overused “point” and “however.” I’m the Olli Maatta of posters

Last edited:
Reactions: EightyOne

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad