Speculation: Who Is Our Underachiever?

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Chicago had Skille/Beach, LA had Hickey/Teubert, etc. It's very possible that one of our "blue chips" won't pan out and we'll still find great success. Who and why?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
1 year in to his professional career.

Zadorov would've been my answer if this question was asked prior to this year.....or even the summer after we drafted him.

I don't necessarily THINK he'll be a consistent underachiever, but I think he's got the greatest chance to be it if we have one.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Going by evidence rather than simply guessing/predicting, Zadorov is the guy who looks like he could be that.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Grigs is looking more and more like a possibility. The lack of offensive output at the NHL level has been concerning

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Zadorov would've been my answer if this question was asked prior to this year.....or even the summer after we drafted him.

I don't necessarily THINK he'll be a consistent underachiever, but I think he's got the greatest chance to be it if we have one.

i dont know. What are the qualifications needed to be dubbed 'underachiever"? 1st round pick?

I think Grigorenko would be holding that card at this point.

Orvald

Feb 24, 2015
Belgium
Grigs is looking more and more like a possibility. The lack of offensive output at the NHL level has been concerning

#12 1st rounder with 3C basement at the moment, if he finds some offense we'll be glad to have him.

We'll be rolling out 3 lines next year.

Correct

Jan 30, 2015

I'm confused about this. He was starting to score at a decent clip to end the year.

I thought it was looking less and less like a possibility.

Bps21*

Does it have to be someone we drafted ourselves our just a high picked young player?

Because Hodgson.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Grigs looked more comfortable at the end of the year and age wise is right in line for a normal timeline to becoming a pro.

I think at this point none of the young players look like busts on the level the op offered.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
1 year in to his professional career.
I actually watched him in Junior unlike most here. Was never high on him then and I'm still not. He's not my type of defensemen. He's not a smart player and he's a train wreck defensively. He has a very low Hockey IQ when it comes to defense. His offensive IQ is much better. He's a Mike Green type of D man. The type that if he pans out will score 30-40 points consistently but leave you clenching your butt hole every time he's defending a rush.

The question is not who is our underachiever now. The question is that in a few years when we have a great team who will we look back and say "man we really overrated that guy". And it's a great question because every good team right now has had 1 or 2 of these guys.

Last edited:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
If we are willing to count an early second rounder I'm not impressed by Compher and his long-term nhl prospects unless he develops a lot more.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I actually watched him in Junior unlike most here. Was never high on him then and I'm still not. He's not my type of defensemen. He's not a smart player and he's a train wreck defensively. He has a very low Hockey IQ when it comes to defense. His offensive IQ is much better. He's a Mike Green type of D man. The type that if he pans out will score 30-40 points consistently but leave you clenching your butt hold every time he's defending a rush.

The question is not who is our underachiever now. The question is that in a few years when we have a great team who will we look back and say "man we really overrated that guy". And it's a great question because every good team right now has had 1 or 2 of these guys.

Fair enough. Still disagree.

Sabres Dynasty

Apr 11, 2015
If we consider Hodgson a "blue chip", then he's the guy. I can't wait to see him off our roster.

Other than him, I would say Zadorov has the biggest chance to underachieve.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Foligno might be a candidate - after his scoring burst in 2012, he's looking more and more like a grinder / role player that is borderline 3rd line-to-4th line. I think the organization expected more offense from him....

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Foligno might be a candidate - after his scoring burst in 2012, he's looking more and more like a grinder / role player that is borderline 3rd line-to-4th line. I think the organization expected more offense from him....

I can't put a 104th overall pick in the "underachiever" category. Frankly, getting an NHL player at that point in the draft is a coup.

As to the poster above who suggested Compher: again, it's tough for me to put an "underachiever" tag on a 2nd round pick......but he'd be another candidate possibly.

Bps21*

He's already overachieved his draft position by playing as many games in the league as he has. When you say "the organization" expected more offense...Darcy is gone and his beliefs and philosophies with him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad