Who is our next captain?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
K listen up guys. Both Phillips and Neil are way past their prime and often not on the ice (or shouldn't be). We need players the others look up to and are still part of their generation - and who can also lead the team by example.

I don't want to que one more of Neil's last minute fights and fist pump as he goes to the box.

Nor do I want to see Phillips start to point at opposing players any more than he does when he is about to get beaten to the puck.

Management HAS to understand - there are many better choices. Turn the page already. Its the 2nd decade of the 21st century, not the 1st. That was Alfie...

Says a guy who isn't part of the locker room, and has no idea what the team really needs. Phillips and Neil have A's for reasons we are not privy to and they're not losing them until they are no longer Senators.

Of course then you go off on the pointing thing, which has become such a sad cliche on this board that its hard to take someone seriously when they bring it up as a serious criticism. So yeah.

Phillips for Captain!

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Good question:

2da1219.jpg

Seeing him in that jersey still makes me a little sad.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'd love for Phillips to get the C but I also understand if he doesn't get it

He doesn't have a lot of time left so it would be nice to have a bit of stability ratehr than having to change once Chris retires

Then again, I always thought captaincy in pro-sports is massively, massively overrated by fans

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I'm not sure why it shouldn't be put on Phillips... does anyone really believe we'll be contending for a cup and our leader will be Karlsson in say a year or two? Because that's essentially how long Phillips will be captain. He's 36.

There's nothing wrong with a transition captain.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
if Phillips shows indications at training camp that he'll be for certain a top 6 defenseman on the team, then I'd have no issues with him being named captain

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
They aren't going to healthy scratch the future franchise leader in games played. He'll be in our top six.

Seriously.

People that are thinking/hoping Phillips will get healthy-scratched for the majority f the season are in for a rude awakening. He won't be playing 22+ minutes, but he'll be an every-nighter (barring injury, or another seriously catastrophic drop-off in his play).

Whether or not that is acceptable to you or not, I can't see it being any less of a fact because of it.

Also: if this causes anyone to be "done with this team!!!", the line forms to your left, and you can pick up your Crosby jersey after your ticket has been stamped.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
if Phillips shows indications at training camp that he'll be for certain a top 6 defenseman on the team, then I'd have no issues with him being named captain

same. good test. if he can't lead himself on to the team then why would be chosen to lead the others to the cup?

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Seriously.

People that are thinking/hoping Phillips will get healthy-scratched for the majority f the season are in for a rude awakening. He won't be playing 22+ minutes, but he'll be an every-nighter (barring injury, or another seriously catastrophic drop-off in his play).

Whether or not that is acceptable to you or not, I can't see it being any less of a fact because of it.

Also: if this causes anyone to be "done with this team!!!", the line forms to your left, and you can pick up your Crosby jersey after your ticket has been stamped.

ha-ha so true. Be gone wagon jumpers. Toronto is waiting for you to join them.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Swallow Phillips or go cheer for the Laffs seems a bit of a harsh ultimatum.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Swallow Phillips or go cheer for the Laffs seems a bit of a harsh ultimatum.

It just seems like over the last year or so people have whipped themselves up into an artificial frenzy of hate towards Phillips.

It's one thing to not want Phillips to be captain, it's another to post what some people have posted in this thread...

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Lazar just oozes captain to me. Part of the reason I want Phillips to get the C. In a few years Lazar will be ready to take it over.

The other reason is that Phillips has ALWAYS been acknowledged as a leader on the team, and has been a great player for us for a LONG time. One bad season (in which pretty much everyone sucked ass) does not change that.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Lazar just oozes captain to me. Part of the reason I want Phillips to get the C. In a few years Lazar will be ready to take it over.

The other reason is that Phillips has ALWAYS been acknowledged as a leader on the team, and has been a great player for us for a LONG time. One bad season (in which pretty much everyone sucked ass) does not change that.

4 As in Montreal seen as a mark of respect for Markov and Subban without getting anyone in a knot.

If Phillips has to have a letter, I hope we go this way then and share the wealth with new blood.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Seriously.

If Phillips isn't getting scratched that means that one of Weircioch, Cowen, Gryba and Ceci will be. How is that beneficial to the team going forward when you're scratching the young players who will form the backbone of your defense for the next whatever number of years?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
ha-ha so true. Be gone wagon jumpers. Toronto is waiting for you to join them.

We are band Waggoner's because we recognize he shouldn't be playing all the time? Hindering the development of players like Wiercioch, Cowen and Boro?

Sorry for actually watching the games.

Why on earth does his decision to stay in Ottawa reflect on whether he is a winner, or his ability to be a leader?

Also, the expectation that he take a trade and just re-sign with us in the summer is absurd.

It reflects a players will to win he doesn't have it.

That's not the expectation but if he is as dedicated to this franchise as he says he is this would be a no brainer. If he is a competitive guy with his career winding down he probably wants to win. You know like winners do ie Bourque or Iginla. The fact that were having this debate is exactly why I don't want him to be the captain.

What does it achieve exactly? Seems to me its just going along with the status quo.

Montreal has it figured out I hope the sens do too.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad