Prospect Info: Who is our 4th best prospect?

Who is our 4th best prospect?

• Jared McIsaac

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Robert Mastrosimone

• William Wallinder

• Other (Please specify)

• Dennis Cholowski

• Evgeny Svechnikov

• Total voters

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm going to just jump ahead and make this, because why not.

After the top trio of Raymond/Seider/Zadina... who do you think is our best prospect?

I think you could make a good case for some different players here, so I am curious to see what everyone thinks. Who ya got and why?

Reactions: lilidk

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I view Svechnikov/Cholowski as graduated at this point based on age/experience. But if folks feel like they should be included, I can add them in, let me know.

We have a lot of other more recent players drafted in rounds 1-3 to discuss at this point IMO.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Meh - I'll add Cholo and Svech just so people have the option.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
This is tough and I might have 4 different answers if I answered 4 different times but I went with rass. He’s just got some attributes that could put him on another level if things went a certain way.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Veleno for me, slightly ahead of Berggren.

A darkhorse for me is Johansson, I have a really good feeling about him, I've been excited since we drafted him. I think he will be an NHL regular in the not too distant future, and could turn into a solid #3 or 4 if all goes well.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Berggren- proven the most in the SHL, highest offensive upside and closest to NHL ready

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This one comes down to Rasumssen vs Berggren for me (I think?).

Veleno was kind of disappointing for me last year, I expected him to do more. He plays a game I like moreso than Rasumssen, but I'm not so sold he will end up as the better player. Playing in the SHL could be good for him to get some confidence going, but he still has some tendencies I would like to see him correct.

I think Berggren has the upside to be better than both, but I'd like to see him on NA ice first. If I was just doing this based on upside, I would vote for Berggren over the other 2.

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
Berggren has done a lot in the SHL.

I'm really liking Albert Johansson after him!

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I didn't watch much of Bergreen this season, but something isn't right with him. He has great hockey iq, skills and speed, but something not right, besides always get injured. Veleno did not have good season last year, but he had much better end of the season and he is doing fine right now in SHL.
I have Rasmussen #4 because we drafted him very high and because we didn't use his best skills. He is still developing and I hope become one of the main pisses on my team

J15

Mar 18, 2009
I really liked Ras when I watched him play in GR, I thought he was clearly one of the top ~3 players on the team when he was healthy. I’m a bit disappointed he is stuck playing in an Austrian league currently. Probably the most NHL ready prospect we have (other than Seider) but somehow is stuck playing against what is essentially CHL level competition. It’s just completely puzzling, and I’m not sure if I should interpret it as a red flag for how professional scouts view him.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I really liked Ras when I watched him play in GR, I thought he was clearly one of the top ~3 players on the team when he was healthy. I’m a bit disappointed he is stuck playing in an Austrian league currently. Probably the most NHL ready prospect we have (other than Seider) but somehow is stuck playing against what is essentially CHL level competition. It’s just completely puzzling, and I’m not sure if I should interpret it as a red flag for how professional scouts view him.
Austria probably much better than CHL . I remember when we drafted him it was about size and leadership

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I want to vote for Berggren but I can't officially bring myself to do it. I'll go with Veleno for the, albeit questionable, Top-6 center upside.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

it’s important to note the many complications with European loans this year. For starters, the pure volume of guys on loan subsequently limits the options for any given player as import slots fill up. The next factor is the loan agreements themselves. For example the SHL agreement necessitates the player on loan is in the SHL for the entire year. Lastly, fit. Does the given team have a slot that makes sense for the specific prospect.

so when you take a step back and consider all of this you realize there are many factors contributing to where a prospect lands. With Rasmussen, I’m sure there were two or three main considerations. 1) ability to recall (eliminates the SHL), 2) Rasmussen should be deployed as a top 6 Center.

with all of this in mind I don’t think we should read into his Austrian league placement too much. It was likely the best fit for him as a center while still allowing the wings to call him back when a NHL/AHL season gets going.

Reactions: Ezekial

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I voted for Veleno. The kid is looking very good in the SHL right now; dominating in the faceoff circle, carrying the puck much more, shooting more, and looks to have gotten even faster. He's the best forward on a bad Malmo Redhawks team this season.

Ras is more NHL ready but that doesn't really mean as much when compared to their expected potential, growth and team impact. Ras is expected to be a 3rd liner while Veleno is expected to be a 2nd liner.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Joe Veleno.

As far as NHL readiness goes, I'd say Rasmussen, but I don't think he has the upside that some of our other players have. Best case scenario, I think he's a no. 3 center or a middle 6 winger.

I still have faith that Veleno is our no. 2 center down the line. I realize his stats don't say that, but when I watch him play, he's got such a mature game, and I think his teammates are letting him down quite a bit. At least, in the three SHL games I watched him play this year, I saw him set up at least a dozen opportunities his linemates couldn't put away for one reason or another. Worst case scenario, he slots in as a no. 3 center or a middle 6 winger.

In the games I've watched Berggren play, I wasn't as impressed as I was with Veleno. Granted, he's not playing the perimeter game he was playing last year, but he's definitely gotten lucky on a few of his assists. Again, in the games I've seen. He had one assist he wasn't even on the ice for. Best case scenario, I think he's a middle 6 winger.

As the season progresses, I suspect Veleno's and Raymond's PPG are going to improve, and Berggren's is going to drop off quite a bit, simply based on what I've seen in the games I've watched.

Last edited:
Reactions: Realgud

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
All these votes for Berggren make it seem like some are just going off of the stat sheet, I'd like to see him play a full season before ranking him in the top 5 personally. Went with Ras, but can see the argument for Veleno. I just don't see the offensive upside in Veleno to lockdown a 2nd line center spot, where I could see Ras carving out a spot as a complimentary top 6 winger or a beast of a 3rd line center.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Semantically, since I feel that Ras is ready the come back and be an NHL player at this point, I voted for Berggy again since I'm playing along. After seeing what he can do with his offensive skillet, I'd put him just ahead of Veleno at this point.

Really, they're neck and neck for me.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
All these votes for Berggren make it seem like some are just going off of the stat sheet, I'd like to see him play a full season before ranking him in the top 5 personally. Went with Ras, but can see the argument for Veleno. I just don't see the offensive upside in Veleno to lockdown a 2nd line center spot, where I could see Ras carving out a spot as a complimentary top 6 winger or a beast of a 3rd line center.
I’ve watched a few of his games this year and one of them he looked ready for a top 6 spot in the NHL, another he looked like a guy with so much potential who just couldn’t put it together. I agree a full season would do him wonders, but also the potential in him makes him the 4th best prospect for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad