Who is our 23 man roster on opening night?

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I know we speculate all the time about lines and who will be here, but we really have a glut of forwards, so who's our 23 man lineup for next years opening night? IF we were to keep what we have and not speculate on potential people that would be here? Here is what we have and the years left on their current contract. Who stays and who goes? Who is in the minors?

Forwards
Boone 2 RyJo 3 Foligno 4
Hartnell 4 Wennberg 3 Dano 3
Calvert 1 Dubi 4 Atkinson 3
Bourque 2 AA 1 Boll 2
Tropp 2 Chaput 1 Clarkson 4
Rychel 3 Milano 3 Anderson 3
Bjorkstrand 3 Morin 2

UFA- Skille, Gibbons, Letestu

Tyutin 3 Johnson 3
Murray 2 Savard 2
Prout 2 Goloubef 1
Connauton 2 Falk 1
Madaisky 1

Bob 4
Cmac UFA

Arch City Zach

Jun 10, 2011
Columbus, OH
archcityarmy.com
Forwards
Boone 2 RyJo 3 Foligno 4
AA 1 Dubi 4 Atkinson 3
Bourque 2 Chaput 1 Boll 2
Tropp 2 Clarkson 4

Tyutin 3 Johnson 3
Murray 2 Savard 2
Prout 2 Connauton 2
Goloubef 1

Bob 4
Cmac 2 year new contract

This is who I see as the starting lineup next year.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Forwards
Boone 2 RyJo 3 Foligno 4
AA 1 Dubi 4 Atkinson 3
Bourque 2 Chaput 1 Boll 2
Tropp 2 Clarkson 4

Tyutin 3 Johnson 3
Murray 2 Savard 2
Prout 2 Connauton 2
Goloubef 1

Bob 4
Cmac 2 year new contract

This is who I see as the starting lineup next year.

So you see them trading Calvert? I hope that's not the case, he's a better long term player than Bourque or Clarkson, Boll or Chaput.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Without consideration as to who we might get in a trade of AA this is what I think the roster should look like

Forwards
Boone 2 RyJo 3 Foligno 4
Rychel 3 Chaput Clarkson 5
Morin Anderson

Tyutin 3 Johnson 3
Murray 2 Savard 2
Prout 2 Goloubef 1
Connauton 2

Bob 4
Cmac UFA

Gone:
Bourque trade or buyout
Boll trade or buyout (although I think he will be here at Anderson's expense)
Anisimov traded
Tropp buried in the A
Letestu we let him walk (big mistake imo)
Madaisky starts in the A
Milano back to juniors
Bjorkstrand to the A

Last edited:

knucklepuck28

Jun 9, 2011
Columbus
Jenner Johansen Foligno
Hartnell Wennberg Dano
Calvert Dubinsky Atkinson
Bourque Anisimov Clarkson
Boll Tropp

Murray Connauton
Tyutin Johnson
Prout Savard
Goloubef

Bob
UFA

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Forwards
Boone Joey Foligno
Hartnell Wennberg Dano
Bourque Arty Atkinson
Calvert Dubinsky Clarkson
Boll Tropp

Tyutin Johnson
Murray Savard
Connauton Goloubef
Prout

Bob
____

Morin they trade
Rychel, Bjork and alot of other prospects are left in AHL
I could see Calvert, Cam, Golo, Prout, and Arty shopped around for a blueline improvement.
Could also see JJ going
I bet there will be a new backup goalie next year. Just a hunch
Letestu walks

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Jenner Johansen Foligno
Hartnell Wennberg Dano
Calvert Dubinsky Atkinson
Letestu Anisimov Bourque/Clarkson

Tyutin Johnson
Murray Savard
Cotton Golo

Hoping we resign arty and mark

Is that not a playoff team?

Although I think we see Anisimov + Picks + Prospect for dman giving us

Jenner Johansen Foligno
Rychel Dubinsky Atkinson
Hartnell Wennberg Dano
Calvert Letestu Bourque/Clarkson
Roll 4
Johnson Savard
Murray _trade_
Tyutin Golo

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Without consideration as to who we might get in a trade of AA this is what I think the roster should look like

Forwards
Boone 2 RyJo 3 Foligno 4
Rychel 3 Chaput Clarkson 5
Morin Anderson

Tyutin 3 Johnson 3
Murray 2 Savard 2
Prout 2 Goloubef 1
Connauton 2

Bob 4
Cmac UFA

Gone:
Bourque trade or buyout
Boll trade or buyout (although I think he will be here at Anderson's expense)
Anisimov traded
Tropp buried in the A
Letestu we let him walk (big mistake imo)
Madaisky starts in the A
Milano back to juniors
Bjorkstrand to the A

No sense in that. Rychel is a great player who needs top 6 mins. Rather just have Anderson slot in there if it's for 4th line duty

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
No sense in that. Rychel is a great player who needs top 6 mins. Rather just have Anderson slot in there if it's for 4th line duty

Rychel is a promising prospect who has to start somewhere. If he is good he'll move up; maybe switch with Calvert. With our glut of forwards something has to give. I wouldn't be adverse to having Rychel start in Springfield (Cleveland?) next year but I think he has a shot at the big club.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Which forwards are not going to be a CBJ come training camp?

With the emergence of Dano, the commitment of the FO to Wennberg, and the dead weight of Bourque, Clarkson, Tropp, Morin and Boll, trades and free agency will have to reduce the roster.

So, who will leave?

My guesses:

1) Letestu will leave via UFA....simply not the budget nor room to keep him. The question will be why he wasn't traded for an asset at the deadline.

2) Asinimov. One year left on his deal. With the commitments to Dubinsky and Johansen and the emerging crop of younger players, he is the odd man out. His market value is probably not as high as some here might think, but he could be traded in a package for a decent dman.

3) Calvert could be allowed to walk despite being an RFA. His durability is an issue (56 and 49 games played over the past two seasons). I don't know how many concussions he's had, but he's been out quite a while on this last one. He's a gritty competitor, but certainly not an irreplaceable piece. Perhaps Clarkson will fill his role.

4) Skille. No reasonable case can be made to keep him. UFA. Cya.

5) Luke Adam. RFA obtained in throwaway trade. Will be thrown away.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So, who will leave?

My guesses:

1) Letestu will leave via UFA....simply not the budget nor room to keep him. The question will be why he wasn't traded for an asset at the deadline.

2) Asinimov. One year left on his deal. With the commitments to Dubinsky and Johansen and the emerging crop of younger players, he is the odd man out. His market value is probably not as high as some here might think, but he could be traded in a package for a decent dman.

If you're going to let Letestu go and trade Anisimov, then whats your plan for 4th line C? I personally think Letestu and Anisimov can go if and only if we are sure Karlsson is ready (i.e. more ready than Chaput), or we sign a Mackenzie-esque guy in UFA.

3) Calvert could be allowed to walk despite being an RFA. His durability is an issue (56 and 49 games played over the past two seasons). I don't know how many concussions he's had, but he's been out quite a while on this last one. He's a gritty competitor, but certainly not an irreplaceable piece. Perhaps Clarkson will fill his role.

That's nuts. Calvert does a lot for this team. Even if he can only play 40 games a year I'd say keep him, unless he gets some outrageous arbitration award. He is a trade candidate but he is too good of a player to give away.

4) Skille. No reasonable case can be made to keep him. UFA. Cya.

5) Luke Adam. RFA obtained in throwaway trade. Will be thrown away.

Those guys are on two-way contracts so there's no need to throw them away. And we found this year in the injury crisis that it's really hard to acquire the right depth after you've had injuries. Jarmo was the most active GM in the league on the waiver wire and it still couldn't patch the hole. We need guys in the org who are ready to step up if need be. You can argue that Skille and Adam aren't good enough for that role, but then who are you targeting for that call-up role?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
The correct answer is the first 23 people who make it out of training camp alive and all body parts still intact or not under CBJ doctor supervision.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If you're going to let Letestu go and trade Anisimov, then whats your plan for 4th line C? I personally think Letestu and Anisimov can go if and only if we are sure Karlsson is ready (i.e. more ready than Chaput), or we sign a Mackenzie-esque guy in UFA.

That's nuts. Calvert does a lot for this team. Even if he can only play 40 games a year I'd say keep him, unless he gets some outrageous arbitration award. He is a trade candidate but he is too good of a player to give away.

Those guys are on two-way contracts so there's no need to throw them away. And we found this year in the injury crisis that it's really hard to acquire the right depth after you've had injuries. Jarmo was the most active GM in the league on the waiver wire and it still couldn't patch the hole. We need guys in the org who are ready to step up if need be. You can argue that Skille and Adam aren't good enough for that role, but then who are you targeting for that call-up role?

How many forwards are the Jackets going to have on one way deals?

Here's who are already on them: Johansen, Foligno, Jenner, Asinimov, Hartnell, Dubinsky, Atkinson, Bourque, Clarkson, Tropp, Boll and Morin. That's 12.

Dano and Wennberg will be up. That would make 14, effectively.

Add Calvert. There's 15.

I'm assuming Tropp's contract gets buried in the AHL. So, now they're back to 14. Sometimes teams only carry 13 forwards, so there potentially will already be times under this scenario where another NHL contract would be in the minors-assuming Dano and Wennberg won't be sent down just because they're on two-way deals.

Unless the Jackets are willing to bury more than one contract in the AHL, then Karlsson and Rychel couldn't be considered anything more than organizational depth players. That wouldn't seem to be appropriate as hopefully both are more worthy of NHL roster spots than either Bourque or Morin. I don't even consider Boll's spot as available. Like Clarkson's, it's a dead spot that we just have to accept.

If Jarmo can't find more suitable replacements for org. depth players than Skille or Adam, then that's on him.

Calvert, assuming his health returns, will probably get signed. But, he could be signed to be traded. I don't see how Asinimov survives the numbers and salary cap game. I can't see how Letestu is anything but a goner.

Others could be traded (Atkinson stands out as a possibility) which would alter my projections.

Last edited:

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I'm just going to post what I think our opening night lineup will look like. Gonna even go out on a limb and guess who our free agent signee's will be.

Foligno - Johansen - Justin Williams
Jenner - Dubinsky - Atkinson
Hartnell - Wennberg - Dano
Calvert - FA signee (Campbell/Kruger) - Bourque

Jack Johnson - Trade acquisition
Murray - Savard
Connauton - Goloubef

Bob
FA signee (Greiss? Markstrom? Allen?)

-------------------------------------------------

First off you look at this lineup and you think where's Tyutin? Where's Letestu? Where's Anisimov? Where's Tropp? Where's Boll? Where's Morin? Where's Gibbons? Where's Skille? Where's McElhinney? Where's Clarkson?

Here's what I will think happen to each one.

Tyutin: I truly love his character. Such a well liked player around the locker room but there comes a time for everything and unfortunately age is starting to weigh him down, literally. As he gets older, he gets slower. I have a gut feeling that Tyutin will be traded this off season for a defensive prospect and pick (s) for the 2016 draft. Of course he would have to waive his NTC, which I can see him doing for a team like Montreal. The trading of Tyutin will then make a hole in our first defensive pairing... that's when I truly believe the Jackets will fill that hole by trading Anisimov + Morin + 2nd round pick for a proven top pairing defenseman. Anisimov in my opinion is about 85 percent a goner after this season, mainly due to the emergence of the rookies.

Letestu: The Jackets will attempt to re-sign him but no deal will be made. Mark will hit free agency this summer, end up on a contending team and fetch a 3 year contract, AAV of 2.8-3 million dollars and primarily play a 3C role on that team. With Letestu not being re-signed, Jarmo will look to fill the gap at center on our fourth line. Two free agent acquisitions who I could see filling that hole, either Kruger (CHI) or Campbell (BOS).

Tropp: He will open the year in Springfield and remain in Springfield for most of the season. (Injury call up, here and there)

Boll: this year is the year, to some of you it'll be unfortunate to others it'll be a blessing. Boll will be bought out. I won't go into further explanation but I truly feel like this will happen.... finally?

Clarkson: yes, you've saw him play his last game in Columbus. You'd be ridiculous to think that he slots anywhere in our lineup next season... you'd also be ridiculous to think that we are going to pay him that kind of money to play 4th line duty. It's either him or Bourque that get bought out along with Boll, and it won't be Bourque. Rene has shown (small sample size albeit) that he knows how to play Jackets kind of hockey. I have no problem with him slotting in on our 4th line, however with Calvert dropping down to 4th line, Bourque will be forced to play RW.

Gibbons: all of my hope that I had for Gibbons to be a threat in this lineup has diminished... from injuries to underperforming, he will not be re-signed. Weird feeling that he could be headed back to Pittsburgh?

Skille: same situation as Gibbons, he won't be re-signed Gonna go out on a limb and say that he's signed by the Devils.

McElhinney: despite playing waaaay above par this season, I can see Jarmo going out and signing a new backup. McElhinney just isn't an ideal backup in my opinion despite his numbers this year which I believe are 75 percent luck, to be honest. If Jarmo wanted to put together one of the top goalie tandems then he'd sign Jake Allen who is a free agent. Other free agent signee's that I could see as posibilities are Markstrom (VAN) and Greiss (PIT).

Now, your problem wondering where the heck did Justin Williams come from? Well, I believe Jarmo will AGAIN (third times a charm... Gaborik, Horton..) sign a top line right winger and Williams is the guy. A proven right winger who possesses an underrated and accurate shot. He has good quickness in small areas. Gritty and elusive, he's quite efficient at maneuvering in traffic areas. He also possesses a very sound defensive game. He would be the perfect addition to that top line... him and Foligno would have chemistry right away. Their playing styles would mesh instantly. Joey would just be the whip cream to top off the sundae. I could see Williams fetching a 3/4 year contract, 6-6.4 million AAV.

Justin Falk will play all season in Springfield. Madaisky will start the year out in Springfield and could potentially be called up before the new year.

Mike Reilly situation: unfortunately, I do not think that he will be signed. He will inform the Jackets that he won't be signing which will make the Jackets have no other choice but to draft a defenseman at the draft. That defenseman will be Ivan Provorov who will play for the Wheat Kings for a 2nd straight season.

As far as our AHL affiliate goes.....

Bjorkstrand will start the year off in Springfield and finish the year off in Springfield without being called up unless he absolutely lights it up. Jarmo will develop him "the right way". Milano will return to the OHL for a second consecutive season and continue to develop strength and a finer defensive game. Rychel will start the year in Springfield and more than likely stay in Springfield for one more year but mark my words, he will be NHL ready for the start of the 2016 campaign. William Karlsson is an interesting case. As you all may know, I am a huge fan of his. I have stated on here that he WILL make the opening night line up but I'm changing my opinion. I think that he, just like Rychel, will remain in the A for the majority of the season as he continues to develop correctly and continue to adjust to NA ice. As far as the goalie tandem is concerned, your goalie tandem for Springfield will be Forsberg and Korpisalo. Forsberg will more than likely be ready to back up Bob starting in 2016. Korpisalo will back up Forsberg as he learns the ins and outs to NA ice.... I think Dansk will either remain in the ECHL or more than likely be traded.

If you read all of this, thank you so much. Took forever to type haha. Thoughts? Agreements? Disagreements?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If you read all of this, thank you so much. Took forever to type haha. Thoughts? Agreements? Disagreements?

TL;DR.

:sarcasm:
Just kidding. I'm staying up late to read this. :laugh:

I like what you've done to the lineup, that looks like a better hockey team. If Jarmo can pull all that off then great. But it will be tough.

1) Williams will probably sign where he gets $ x term and I have a hard time seeing us giving out another long term big money deal. I'd love to have him though. He's not even a year removed from the Conn Smythe. If it's just 3 years I'd bite, but he'll probably want a longer term.

2) Anisimov + Morin + 2nd isn't going to get you a top pair D. Maybe halfway there. You'll need quality too, not just quantity. So a first rounder, or a prized prospect probably will have to go, and for the right player it'd be worth it.

3) I agree that we should target a guy like Kruger. We need a better fourth line C and I think Letestu's gone.

4) I agree Boll is probably bought out this summer. We had arguments this year "Why is Morin/Skille not playing and Boll is..." But it didn't really matter that much. But if we're at full health next year then Boll is going to get in the way of much much better hockey players.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'm just going to post what I think our opening night lineup will look like. Gonna even go out on a limb and guess who our free agent signee's will be.

Foligno - Johansen - Justin Williams
Jenner - Dubinsky - Atkinson
Hartnell - Wennberg - Dano
Calvert - FA signee (Campbell/Kruger) - Bourque

Jack Johnson - Trade acquisition
Murray - Savard
Connauton - Goloubef

Bob
FA signee (Greiss? Markstrom? Allen?)

-------------------------------------------------

First off you look at this lineup and you think where's Tyutin? Where's Letestu? Where's Anisimov? Where's Tropp? Where's Boll? Where's Morin? Where's Gibbons? Where's Skille? Where's McElhinney? Where's Clarkson?

Here's what I will think happen to each one.

Tyutin: I truly love his character. Such a well liked player around the locker room but there comes a time for everything and unfortunately age is starting to weigh him down, literally. As he gets older, he gets slower. I have a gut feeling that Tyutin will be traded this off season for a defensive prospect and pick (s) for the 2016 draft. Of course he would have to waive his NTC, which I can see him doing for a team like Montreal. The trading of Tyutin will then make a hole in our first defensive pairing... that's when I truly believe the Jackets will fill that hole by trading Anisimov + Morin + 2nd round pick for a proven top pairing defenseman. Anisimov in my opinion is about 85 percent a goner after this season, mainly due to the emergence of the rookies.

Letestu: The Jackets will attempt to re-sign him but no deal will be made. Mark will hit free agency this summer, end up on a contending team and fetch a 3 year contract, AAV of 2.8-3 million dollars and primarily play a 3C role on that team. With Letestu not being re-signed, Jarmo will look to fill the gap at center on our fourth line. Two free agent acquisitions who I could see filling that hole, either Kruger (CHI) or Campbell (BOS).

Tropp: He will open the year in Springfield and remain in Springfield for most of the season. (Injury call up, here and there)

Boll: this year is the year, to some of you it'll be unfortunate to others it'll be a blessing. Boll will be bought out. I won't go into further explanation but I truly feel like this will happen.... finally?

Clarkson: yes, you've saw him play his last game in Columbus. You'd be ridiculous to think that he slots anywhere in our lineup next season... you'd also be ridiculous to think that we are going to pay him that kind of money to play 4th line duty. It's either him or Bourque that get bought out along with Boll, and it won't be Bourque. Rene has shown (small sample size albeit) that he knows how to play Jackets kind of hockey. I have no problem with him slotting in on our 4th line, however with Calvert dropping down to 4th line, Bourque will be forced to play RW.

Enjoyed your post.

My thoughts on parts of it:

Letestu......agree with your analysis completely. #55 deserves a regular slotting as a #3C and he'll command a salary right around your estimate. And, as you said, it won't be with the Blue Jackets.

On trade for top pairing dman.......Asinomov is a great candidate to be part of a deal. I think that it will take more than Morin + a second in addition to AA. A proven top dman would probably take a first round pick + a second round pick + Asinimov at the very least.

Tyutin.....with the holes on the defense, I think that he stays. I agree that his age is taking its toll, but with the loss of Wiz, trading Toots would probably result in too thin a defensive corps.

Boll.....don't see a buyout here. He's held in very high esteem by someone in management or possibly ownership or he'd never have received the contract that he got.

Clarkson......has a contract that is buyout proof.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...nd-his-buyout-proof-contract/article17783243/

But even if the Leafs wanted to take the drastic step of buying out the last six years of it, they almost certainly won’t.

Because of the way the deal is structured – with more than 75 per cent of the money in irrevocable signing bonuses – Clarkson has the rare indestructible contract, one that guarantees him the vast majority of his money no matter what.

The only part of the deal the Leafs can really buy out is one-third of the $8-million in remaining base salary, meaning Clarkson would receive all but $2.7-million (or 8 per cent) of the contract, and Toronto would have an enormous amount of dead money on its cap.

http://web.archive.org/web/20141021212553/http://capgeek.com/buyout-calculator/?player_id=780

Bourque is the most likely contract to be bought out in my estimation. Given the reluctance of management to exercise buyout options in the past, I don't view even a Bourque buyout as very likely.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Would Karlsson fit as a top prospect to include in a deal? Not hating on him, I know very little about him, but my impression is that he's very similar to Wennberg.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arm chair GM..
Tyutin brings back a 2016 1st + D prospect from a team expecting to go far in playoffs next year
Clarkson + 2nd + Tropp for Hogdson
Letestu we let walk. Hurts short run.
Anisimov and Dansk are traded for Ellis
Calvert is signed for 1.75 million
Skille, Goloubef,Falk we resign on a two way, Adam,Craig walk
Boll is bought out.

Foligno Johansen ____
Jenner(A) Dubinsky(C) Atkinson
Hartnell Wennberg Dano
Calvert Hogdson Bourque

Johnson(A) Ellis
Murray Dumba
Savard Cotton

Bob
Ufa/Forsberg

That leaves us with a 2015 1st 2 2nds 2 3rds and 2 2016 1sts
At the draft we offer 2015 1st + 2016 1st + 2015 2nd for Hanifan. If not we draft BPA and try and flip him example if Marner/Strome is available we draft them and offer it with a 2016 1st for Dumba on wild.

Ufa sign a RW or slot in Rychel.

These all may be off but I'm bored so why not ? :help:

Not sure on cap but I believe there is a lot of room for Ufas (Jagr Williams St Louis) and future contracts

Last edited by a moderator:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Arm chair GM..
Tyutin brings back a 2016 1st + D prospect from a team expecting to go far in playoffs next year
Boll is bought out.

Foligno Johansen ____
Hartnell Wennberg Dano
Calvert Hogdson Bourque

Johnson(A) Ellis
Murray Dumba
Savard Cotton

Bob
Ufa/Forsberg

At the draft we offer 2015 1st + 2016 1st + 2015 2nd for Hanifan. If not we draft BPA and try and flip him example if Marner/Strome is available we draft them and offer it with a 2016 1st for Dumba on wild.

Not sure on cap but I believe there is a lot of room for Ufas (Jagr Williams St Louis) and future contracts
Couple things.

Wiz didn't even bring back a first, neither will Tyutin.

Dont see us moving up at that cost when we can stand pat and draft Provorov or Werenski.

If we land Marner or Strome there is absolutely no reason to trade them. .if anything they make others available.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Arm chair GM..
Boll is bought out.

Foligno Johansen ____
Hartnell Wennberg Dano
Calvert Hogdson Bourque

Johnson(A) Ellis
Murray Dumba
Savard Cotton

Bob
Ufa/Forsberg

While you're dreaming, can you go ahead and get us Shea Weber?

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

Notes:
If Milano goes to Springfield for the playoffs this year (thought he was?) then I would not expect him back in the AHL.

Agree that Letestu and Anisimov are likely gone. Tyutin is our best trade bait on defense. We do need to spend more to get a top end D, even then likely only someone with the potential to be that level and more likely a middle pair currently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad