Proposal: Who is next years Davidson?

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
so a few people on here were pegging davidson to make the jump to the hl last offseason.

of course they were right and he probably surpassed their expectations when he looked like a top4 defender for a decent stretch of games.

anyway who will be the next ahl graduate?

Edit; assumed Oesterle graduated.

so are we talking a player that makes the jump to being a permanent full time NHL player?
or a guy that fools us into thinking he's a full time NHL player.

people have a habit of anointing a player before he's established himself as legit. having a good 20 or 30 game stretch doesn't mean a guy has taken the jump. look at lander as an example.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Came down to Khaira and Pitlick for me. I choose Pitlick. Mainly because hes a RW and I think, hope, he finally has a full healthy season, and therefore get into a lot of NHL games. If a RW gets traded, such as Eberle or Yak, that opens up a spot for him. Also, right now we have 5 NHL centers, so that kinda blocks Khairas path.

If I had to guess at a stat line Id say 40GP 7G 12A 19P. Nothing crazy but solid for a bottom 6 rookie.

If Pitlick stayed healthy he'd be a solid 3rd liner on any team by now. Maybe a 2nd liner.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Really don't think any of those guys surprise the way Davidson did. I just hope Davidson himself can be Davidson this year and doesn't fall of the edge of the earth like so many have in the past.

Honestly with the amount of depth we have now and I expect more to come, I really don't know that we see a guy that makes this team early and sticks like Davidson did.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
Khaira is my pick, showed decent last year, and seems to fit the Chia mold. In fact, I could see him benefitting from Lucic's tutelage, that could be big for his development.

My other guess would be Musil. Just a gut feeling, no basis.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
Not sure if he would count but I think this years player to take a big leap is Nuge.
I've heard his hand has healed and that he is determined this off-season. He will enter camp at 190 pounds and be comfortable at that size (sometimes athletes gain substantial weight then take time for their flexibility and such to get used to the new weight/ mass, Nuge gained weight quickly over the past couple years).
He should also finally be able to share some of the tough minutes with other centers.
I think he will come in under the radar and get 70 points. Sure hope we don't trade him for a second pairing or specialty (pp) dman...

I could also see Lander having a bounce back season, but for him that would only take 10 goals...

By years end we will think back to these days and shame those who think Nuge and Ebs have lost their value. Ebs to get 35 maybe even 40 goals playing with McDavid.

I also think this year's "Davidson" could still be Davidson, from what I saw last year he has the tools and poise to cement himself into a top 4 role.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Came down to Khaira and Pitlick for me. I choose Pitlick. Mainly because hes a RW and I think, hope, he finally has a full healthy season, and therefore get into a lot of NHL games. If a RW gets traded, such as Eberle or Yak, that opens up a spot for him. Also, right now we have 5 NHL centers, so that kinda blocks Khairas path.

If I had to guess at a stat line Id say 40GP 7G 12A 19P. Nothing crazy but solid for a bottom 6 rookie.

Kharia can play all 3 forward positions.

That is crazy for a bottom 6 rookie. you're saying over 82 games he'd get 14 goals and 25 assists for 39 points, that's the kind of production you see from low end 2nd liners and elite 3rd liners.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
Kharia can play all 3 forward positions.

That is crazy for a bottom 6 rookie. you're saying over 82 games he'd get 14 goals and 25 assists for 39 points, that's the kind of production you see from low end 2nd liners and elite 3rd liners.

Looking at it again, you're right. I'd revise that to 40gp 4g 6a 10p. Hopefully he turns into a decent bottom 6 guy and can churn out seasons like 82gp 10g 20a 30p with some good hits in there too. Seems unlikely though at this point.

I suppose youre also right about Khaira, but being able to play RW is different than being good at it. I think hes a natural center and can play LW too. I doubt his RW ability is close to the other 2 positions, especially center.

Last edited:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Hopefully Kessy and Moroz can pan out to be bottom 6 depth in the future also.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Looking at it again, you're right. I'd revise that to 40gp 4g 6a 10p. Hopefully he turns into a decent bottom 6 guy and can churn out seasons like 82gp 10g 20a 30p with some good hits in there too. Seems unlikely though at this point.

I suppose youre also right about Khaira, but being able to play RW is different than being good at it. I think hes a natural center and can play LW too. I doubt his RW ability is close to the other 2 positions, especially center.

I think at the NHL level he's more of a LW than anything but in saying that he is quite strong on his backhand and i do think he could play RW better than many. With his size and strength i'd be less worried about his defensive zone board play on his backhand than most, as a natural C he should be fairly comfortable on either wing.

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
I picked other because I still remember Oesterle and Davidson essentially being the reason I watched some games when they were together. I see some posters saying that Davidson propped him up, but that's the point of this poll..

Should out to Drake because he is my dark horse for the big team this year. I wouldn't be totally shocked if he has solidified himself in our top 6 by the end of the year. Love the kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad