Who is Going to Watch: NBC and NHL prepare for the finals that no one saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

pezpunk

May 3, 2013
also, if the Caps make it, it will be compelling for LOTS of hockey fans to be able to watch the greatest goal scorer in NHL history (yes, haters, that will be his legacy ... get used to it) finally get to play for the Stanley Cup.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
It’s actually pretty refreshing imo to see some new teams and players competing for the Cup this year instead of the same old ****ing Pens, Hawks, Kings, Bruins, etc
That **** gets stale and boring
Who the hell wants to watch the same teams in the Finals year after year?
If you want that then follow the NBA

I could give a **** less about ratings, Original Six or “big markets”
What’s important is good hockey not all the petty “tale of the tape” type stuff that often overrates matchups

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
If it's the Caps and Vegas, I bet the ratings won't be that bad at all. I'll be watching for Vegas.

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
Why do NHL fans cares so damn much about the ratings? It's just reeks of wanting to be loved. I couldn't give a **** and neither should you
It's kind of funny that they worry so much about ratings and fail to understand why people tune in.

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
Like others, I’d flip this and make the argument that Vegas will only help ratings. Casual fans will tune in to see this story. A Caps-Knights final would have extra interest because of Ovechkin

Reactions: pezpunk

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
also, if the Caps make it, it will be compelling for LOTS of hockey fans to be able to watch the greatest goal scorer in NHL history (yes, haters, that will be his legacy ... get used to it) finally get to play for the Stanley Cup.

Half the country won’t believe that a Russian influenced success in Washington even though the facts clearly indicate so. ;)

Last edited:

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
Every real hockey fan should be watching if it turns into a Caps vs Knights Finals. Two of the most exciting teams in the league. I would assume ALOT of people from all fanbases would love to see Ovechkin finally win a cup and on the other side you have the underdog Cinderella story with the Vegas Knights. I can't wait to watch this series.

As for Tampa vs Knights....probably wouldn't care as much but would still watch.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Isn't Vegas getting the highest ratings right now? Im guessing the league desperately wanted them in the final.

That LA-NJ final ratings is interesting, Im guessing there were other factors at play.

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
Playoff ratings have increased around 10% from 2017, which was up 11% over 2016. NBC would be very happy with a Vegas vs Washington finals, it would easily be the highest profile SCF since Kings vs Rangers.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I have a wonderful idea. Keep it away from the NBA finals. Start the season 2 weeks later or drag out the season 2 weeks.

Yup- if the NHL really wanted to maximize it's ratings, it'd do exactly this
But the NHL isn't exactly the most brilliantly run sports league

I think they should START the season 2 weeks earlier. No reason there should be any hockey on after US Memorial Day- especially when you have southern cities and you run into potential bad ice problems.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Yup- if the NHL really wanted to maximize it's ratings, it'd do exactly this
But the NHL isn't exactly the most brilliantly run sports league

I think they should START the season 2 weeks earlier. No reason there should be any hockey on after US Memorial Day- especially when you have southern cities and you run into potential bad ice problems.

2 weeks earlier still leads you to NBA playoffs. I don't see the point in that.

May 17, 2009
Maine
2 weeks earlier still leads you to NBA playoffs. I don't see the point in that.

This isn't a bad point, but the NBA playoffs is becoming less and less interesting before the finals. I'd say a good 60-70% of the series before the finals are just better teams taking care of business.

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
I’m not sweating anything.

I posted an observation with data involving 3 teams.

Seems the remaining Vegas “fans” we the ones sweating the fact that they might not draw big numbers.

If you don’t sweat it... why post in this thread?
Because we're making fun of you.

For a host of reasons, but primarily because nobody cares if you watch. We will anyway - because it's the Cup!!!

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Because we're making fun of you.

For a host of reasons, but primarily because nobody cares if you watch. We will anyway - because it's the Cup!!!

If no one cares, why do you feel the need to tell me you will watch?

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I'll be watching game 7 tomorrow night and the final. I'm enjoying the playoff story this year; I only wish my team was a part of it. The fact that a team that either has never won the Cup or hasn't won it in a while makes it more enjoyable.

Good luck to all 3 remaining teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad