Who Is Expendable?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Big Contracts coming up.
Weak Defensive depth
An abundance of young forwards

I smell a trade.

Who stays? Who goes?

I think Petan, Copp, Lemeiux, Are all trade bait...

What do you all think.
If Perrault could bring us back a good D I think he is expendable. After all, he is on the bottom line. I just doubt whether he would have a high enough return. There are few players that are not expendable if it brought back the right return. The only players I think are not expendable, Mo, Chef, Connor, Laine. Ehlers though better bring back a 1-3 D if moved.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
My list of guys I DON'T want moved to upgrade other positions would be:
Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers, Morrissey, Buff, Connor, Lowry.

I don't want to move Trouba either but understand that come this offseason that's a likely scenario.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Maybe you package Perrault with a 2nd rounder-ish and a prospect for decent return D man!

Off topic but Kolikov on the books is a real crappy deal and cap hit.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I would put Lemieux at the top of the "trade list", but my guess is that Jets' management have Petan at the top of the list.

With Appleton showing well, Dano in the minors, KV in the KHL, the Jets certainly have a bunch of young depth for now and the future.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
The pure "expendable" guys are Myers, Kulikov, and unfortunately Perreault. Myers hopefully walks in FA, Perreault will likely garner a pick, and Kulikov will likely be a pure dump.

The next level of "expendable" are guys like Petan and Lemieux. They don't have vital roles on the team, and have been getting passed by other players. They likely don't carry much trade value.

I don't really see anyone else I would call expendable. Everyone is tradeable for the right price, but there isn't anyone I would target to move.

Trouba is the key IMO. Personally, if he was to sign, a lot of things fall into place really well. It likely means the Jets aren't able to extend Myers which is a plus. It also means we have less need to trade a young forward for a D.

Even if Trouba doesn't sign, I think we can get good pieces for him. Enough pieces that we could use those pieces plus something smaller on our end to get a D. We're not moving Laine, and I can't see Connor getting dealt either. Ehlers deal isn't one I'd want to trade either.

Reactions: buggs

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Helley is working on becoming an anchor

To answer the question tho I feel like Trouba will be gone.

Funny how it takes only 20 games to become an "anchor".

The Expendables, besides expiring contracts, are probably Perreault at the top of the list, and then Petan. Trouba might be leaving but I don't term him as expendible, he's certainly important. Not sure what kind of return we get on anything that's not a high level prospect, though.

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
I would rank Scheifele, Connor, Morrissey, Wheeler or Laine untouchable.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Connor, Scheifele, Morrissey, and Laine don't even bother asking about them in a trade. Everyone one is available for the right price, as for next year Myers comes off the books, Tanev (ufa) might want to big of a pay raise, Matty P is to expensive for what he brings nowadays, Petan can and has been replaced, and if Kulikov can't stay healthy, take your pick on who to let go to get the cap down.

Last edited:

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I think Little is untouchable too, unless we can replace him with a trade. Absolutely cannot afford to lose a 2C with this roster.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I think Little is untouchable too, unless we can replace him with a trade. Absolutely cannot afford to lose a 2C with this roster.

Oh that comment ought to make this thread more interesting. LOL. I agree with you at this point though I still think in time the Jets are looking to Roslovic to be the Little replacement at 2C. They're just taking their time like they have shown with a fair number of players in their modern incarnation.

Not surprisingly I'm very much enjoying Little's bounce back to form. If he can maintain for another year or two after this his contract is actually probably a bargain, given we'll have had at least 2-3 years of 2C play (yup, last year was 2C level, just not high level 2C), allowing Roslovic to grow into the role. You're certainly not getting a 2C for under $6 million any more. I do think Little will end up exposed in the next expansion draft though.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Nothing useful to add, but I hope we get a GDT theme emerging from this discussion. :)

lead_720_405.jpg

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think Kulikov is the most expendable because he's a player we brought in, who hasn't made much of an impression in his time here.

Perreault is replaceable at a fraction of the salary he earns.

The players we have drafted and developed are the most untouchable.

If Trouba for his salary and his desire to play elsewhere as a free agent, can obtain 3 replacement players at less than the salary he is looking for, then I would include him.

Petan, Lemieux are bubble players, so I think they are expendable if their value fills a hole in the lineup.

I'd like to keep Copp until he is a UFA, he's Maurice's utility knife.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I would put Lemieux at the top of the "trade list", but my guess is that Jets' management have Petan at the top of the list.

With Appleton showing well, Dano in the minors, KV in the KHL, the Jets certainly have a bunch of young depth for now and the future.

Petan won’t return anything, not even a low pick.
Lemieux and Perreault maybe low picks.
Just look at the Dano situation.

Kulikov is a cap dump.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Scheifele, Ehlers, Connor, Morrissey, Wheeler , Laine ,
Tanev and Lowry are all on the keep list.

Everyone else can be moved for the right price.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I think Kulikov is the most expendable because he's a player we brought in, who hasn't made much of an impression in his time here.

Perreault is replaceable at a fraction of the salary he earns.

The players we have drafted and developed are the most untouchable.

If Trouba for his salary and his desire to play elsewhere as a free agent, can obtain 3 replacement players at less than the salary he is looking for, then I would include him.

Petan, Lemieux are bubble players, so I think they are expendable if their value fills a hole in the lineup.

I'd like to keep Copp until he is a UFA, he's Maurice's utility knife.

I can't see any scenario where Kulikov and Perreault are on this team next season.

Too bad the NHL has a hard cap and not like the NBA where you can go over the cap to sign your own players. It's not like the Jets are loading up on UFA's year after year. All of their big money players will be draft picks or guys who are nearing a decade in the organization.

Reactions: Robinson2187

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Big Contracts coming up.
Weak Defensive depth
An abundance of young forwards

I smell a trade.

Who stays? Who goes?

I think Petan, Copp, Lemeiux, Are all trade bait...

What do you all think.
Not Copp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad