Who is each team’s biggest rival?

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I’m curious about the situations where it’s not reciprocal, where a team doesn’t consider the opponent a bitter rival the way that opponent perceives it.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
I do feel like there is some rivalry with the Ducks. I remember being in Downtown Disney in Anaheim during the playoffs a couple years ago wearing my preds shirt, and some family of Ducks fans wearing full on gear came over and heckled me for watching the game being broadcasted on a TV. I personally didnt and dont care for the team, honestly just glad to see hockey fans in the wild especially in California, but those were some rude fans.

Sorry to hear that, but of course every fan base will have its rude fans. I will say this though, I went to a Ducks game in Nashville last spring and have no complaints. I don't recall any genuine disrespect at all. Matter of fact, the STH next to me was very kind. She bought me a beer and bought all my friends Predator hats.

Reactions: valeriammm

valeriammm

Beers/Bikes/Bums
Sep 21, 2018
Sorry to hear that, but of course every fan base will have its rude fans. I will say this though, I went to a Ducks game in Nashville last spring and have no complaints. I don't recall any genuine disrespect at all. Matter of fact, the STH next to me was very kind. She bought me a beer and bought all my friends Predator hats.
Im glad to hear! I know not all fans are like that, and the stakes were high but theres no need to ever act like a jackas* we both are here to enjoy hockey in a non hockey state! I am going to a couple Hawks games when the Preds come to Chicago and im honestly really nervous about wearing gold.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
And that's why, and I'm not just saying this because I'm an Islanders fan, there probably isn't a single scenario that would make more people happy here than the Leafs s***ing the bed this season.
This isn't a new phenomenon. People have revelled in the Leafs failure for decades. That's why I find it somewhat ironic when the same folks get so bent out of shape when they get the reverse dished back at them with Leafs success.

Reactions: TheBeastCoast

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
What did tkachuk do?

He started his friendship tour using Doughty as his opener. As a rookie, Tkachuk decided he was going to go after the LA King's franchise Dman to make a name for himself.

I don't think Doughty ever liked that elbow to the face and sorta tries to get back at him from time to time. Apparently he still melts down from time to time playing against Tkachuk, but I tuned out a lot of games last season due to Gully's boring style and personal circumstances (new born) last season, so I can't confirm this first hand. I did seem to recall reading a bunch of comments last season from Calgary and LA fans which hinted that Doughty still hates Tkachuk and Tkachuk can get under Doughty's skin easily.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
We seem to dislike the Wings (specifically Abdelkader), but I don't think we have a proper "rival".

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
What did tkachuk do?

He's just under his skin.
That dirty elbow, him trying to run doughty every time Doughty's on the ice, that open ice hit where Doughty literally does a baseball slide to save his life, the media chirping; all of it. It's just two scumbags doing scumbag things, one just upped his scumbaggedness by throwing a super dirty elbow.

Doughty plays like shit (which for Doughty is still like an okay top 4 guy) when he plays Calgary. Since Tkachuk's been in the league, LA vs Calgary's record for non-garbage time games (essentially the one game in 8 they've played, where Calgary was so far out of the playoffs, playing with a roster that was 50% AHL) is 5 wins for Calgary, 2 for LA.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
The Oilers rival is the flames but its boring because both teams suck as usual.

I would say the biggest current rival is Todd Mclellan versus logic.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
Toronto doesn’t really have one. Boston is more like unfinished business, not really a rival. The Ottawa rivalry has (unfortunately) been irrelevant for years. The Montreal rivalry feels dead too as neither teams are good at the same time. I’d love for them to both be contenders to spark something.

Last edited:
Reactions: InAbsensia

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
While currently the Penguins biggest rival is the Washington Capitals just due to endless playoff meetings, for myself the Philadelphia Flyers will always be my most hated rival. Period. I do not care how bad or good they are. The tri-color or black, white, and orange is something that just instills anger and hate from myself. And even meeting Washington in the next 5 ECF and loosing to them would not change that. Washington is definitely #2 though. Columbus has also been climbing up that list. But still probably behind the Rangers and/or Devils for a lot of fans.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I’m curious about the situations where it’s not reciprocal, where a team doesn’t consider the opponent a bitter rival the way that opponent perceives it.
For years that was the case with the Caps and Pens. The Caps' biggest rival was Pittsburgh, but the Pens' biggest rival was Philly.

I'm actually surprised to see so many Pens fans in this thread now saying it's the Caps. I guess the last 3 playoffs have changed things.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I could say CHI, the AVs, or WPG, but after their showing in the playoffs the past couple of years I think MN's biggest rival is themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad