Who is Chevy's best draft pick?

Choose Chevy's best draft pick

• Total voters

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I'm defining "best" as "best return on selection".
It doesn't necessarily mean "player x because he was chosen in the 5th round." it can be a 1st round pick that's exceeded expectations and was off the radar.

personally, it would be between Scheifele, Morrissey and Hellebyuck, with goaltending being the great mystery re:ranking and development

Last edited:
Reactions: YWGinYYZ
Nov 24, 2006
Not sure I understand what you mean...

If you mean best pick in relation to draft order, then it has to be Helle.

I'd choose Scheifele as simply the best pick otherwise.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If you mean bang for buck:

Tier 1 Late round steal:
Helle as a bonifide starting goalie who is likely top 10 at his position from the 5th round

Tier 2: greatly exceed draft position.

Scheifele (Franchise Center)
Morrissey (Potential cornerstone defenseman)
Connor (Potential all star winger)
Lowry

Tier 3:

Ehlers
Trouba
Laine

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
1. Scheifele and it's really not even close, in my opinion.
He's our best player, a true #1 center and an off the board pick at the time.

2. Helle - 5th rounder. Amazing value

3. Morrissey - #2 (at worst) d-man midway through the first - nice pick.

4. Laine was a no-brainer of a pick and if we're being honest with ourselves and Scheifele was on another team would that team trade Scheifele for Laine? Absolutely no way.

....then the rest

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Laine's probably going to be the best player he ever drafts, but that pick was a gimme. If we're evaluating Chevy's prowess at finding value for pick:

1. Hellebuyck
2. Schiefele
3. Connor

Reactions: 1OApick

Dessert Nights

Back in Form
Nov 22, 2016
Finland
Must have seen something special in Laine because he didn't pick Matthews. :sarcasm:

But for real, it must be Scheifele. When you draft a player that caliber and can extend him with such a sweet deal, you have done something right. Imho Jets will be Mark's team and he will be the face of the franchise in the future. Laine might be the rockstar (and I really like him) but Scheifele will be the one most important Jet for a team success.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If you mean bang for buck:

Tier 1 Late round steal:
Helle as a bonifide starting goalie who is likely top 10 at his position from the 5th round

Tier 2: greatly exceed draft position.

Scheifele (Franchise Center)
Morrissey (Potential cornerstone defenseman)
Connor (Potential all star winger)
Lowry

Tier 3:

Ehlers
Trouba
Laine

Relative to draft, Lowry is not that far behind Helle .

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Hellebuyck was the best value for pick acquisition, but goalies are voodoo so it's hard to give too much credit for the pick.

I think that Scheifele and Morrissey were the best picks in terms of good scouting. Both were a bit risky and off the board, requiring considerable projection, but they have turned into top-end players with great attitudes.

Ehlers and Connor were terrific value at their spots, but didn't take as much risk or projection to select them as Scheifele or Morrissey.

Lowry was a very good sleeper pick in round 3.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Risk x Reward I'd say Schiefele
Snipe is Bucky, but may end up Niku

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Scheifele because where he was picked was a reach but turned into quite the steal. Scheifele now looks like he should've been picked first overall.

Reactions: GNP

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
These are the Chevy drafted players who have made it to the NHL so far. The values are my own estimations of where they should go in a re-draft. I considered position and role in addition to GP, G, A & Pts. I tried to be a little conservative to counter the built in 'homer bias'. Hellebuyck was hard to pin down because of being a goalie. But I figure a starter and Vezina candidate should be worth at least the lowest 1st rd pick.

DraftPlayerActualValue
2011Scheifele72
Lowry6728
2012Trouba94
Hellebuyck13030
2013Morrissey137
Copp10421
2014Ehlers93
2015Connor179
Roslovic2522
2016Laine22
AVG. 38.3 12.8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Before you jump all over Copp being rated higher than Lowry, different draft classes. Also it reflects the different time since being drafted. In another couple of years there will be more offensively gifted players pass Copp by. It just shows that I rated scoring above 2 way play, position and checking roles which are more subjective.

I tried to look at how many each player had leap-frogged and also how many had come from farther back to jump over our players. Not intended to be perfect, just a quick estimate, FWIW.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
These are the Chevy drafted players who have made it to the NHL so far. The values are my own estimations of where they should go in a re-draft. I considered position and role in addition to GP, G, A & Pts. I tried to be a little conservative to counter the built in 'homer bias'. Hellebuyck was hard to pin down because of being a goalie. But I figure a starter and Vezina candidate should be worth at least the lowest 1st rd pick.

DraftPlayerActualValue
2011Scheifele72
Lowry6728
2012Trouba94
Hellebuyck13030
2013Morrissey137
Copp10421
2014Ehlers93
2015Connor179
Roslovic2522
2016Laine22
AVG. 38.3 12.8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Before you jump all over Copp being rated higher than Lowry, different draft classes. Also it reflects the different time since being drafted. In another couple of years there will be more offensively gifted players pass Copp by. It just shows that I rated scoring above 2 way play, position and checking roles which are more subjective.

I tried to look at how many each player had leap-frogged and also how many had come from farther back to jump over our players. Not intended to be perfect, just a quick estimate, FWIW.
I think you were unfair to Mo. He looks top 5.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Awful tempting to do Helly but that may have been good fortune more than planning. If not, they would have grabbed him a lot earlier than the 5th round. Has to be Scheif.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC

DraftPlayerActualValue
2011Scheifele72
Lowry6728
2012Trouba94
Hellebuyck13030
2013Morrissey137
Copp10421
2014Ehlers93
2015Connor179
Roslovic2522
2016Laine22
AVG. 38.3 12.8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

nice table:thumbu:

Reactions: GNP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad