Who is Chevy's best draft pick?

Choose Chevy's best draft pick

• Total voters

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think you were unfair to Mo. He looks top 5.

He is not ahead of:
MacKinnon
Barkov
Jones
Monahan

Drouin, Lindholm & Horvat are all debatable. I put him ahead of Drouin. He may come on but so far, I think Morrissey is ahead. Who knows how usage in Mtl is going to affect him going forward. The argument could be made that JoMo is ahead of Lindholm and/or Horvat too, bit I'm trying not to be too much of a homer. I give the benefit of the doubt to the other guys.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He is not ahead of:
MacKinnon
Barkov
Jones
Monahan

Drouin, Lindholm & Horvat are all debatable. I put him ahead of Drouin. He may come on but so far, I think Morrissey is ahead. Who knows how usage in Mtl is going to affect him going forward. The argument could be made that JoMo is ahead of Lindholm and/or Horvat too, bit I'm trying not to be too much of a homer. I give the benefit of the doubt to the other guys.

Lindholm is a second line player whereas Morrissey is a top pairing dmen. Morrissey is easily the more valuable piece at this point. Ditto for Horvat who has a career high of 52 points and only paced 56 last season. Those are second line numbers not first line center numbers. Add to that he's a sub pardriver of shot metrics and I'm not sure why you'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not trying to be a homer but a top pairing dmen that beats his opposition is much more valuable then a second line C and a complimentary top line winger.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
He is not ahead of:
MacKinnon
Barkov
Jones
Monahan

I have a feeling that Mo can be better than Jones. Mac no. Barkov no. Monahan maybe?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Lindholm is a second line player whereas Morrissey is a top pairing dmen. Morrissey is easily the more valuable piece at this point. Ditto for Horvat who has a career high of 52 points and only paced 56 last season. Those are second line numbers not first line center numbers. Add to that he's a sub pardriver of shot metrics and I'm not sure why you'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not trying to be a homer but a top pairing dmen that beats his opposition is much more valuable then a second line C and a complimentary top line winger.

Look at the teams those 2 players have been on. I'm sure fans of those teams could make an argument.

I'm not making that rating according to my own 'homer' opinion. I'm being conservative so that no one can come and argue that I am overrating our guys. Although some probably would anyway - just like you are arguing the opposite.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If he doesn't get pp toi that doesn't make him a lesser player.

Yes, I see your point. But if he is as good as Jones offensively he should eventually start getting PP time. He'll need that to get anywhere close to Jones' scoring. So far Jones outscores Morrissey by a very wide margin. He is also better defensively. Much as I like JoMo, it isn't even close right now, IMO.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yes, I see your point. But if he is as good as Jones offensively he should eventually start getting PP time. He'll need that to get anywhere close to Jones' scoring. So far Jones outscores Morrissey by a very wide margin. He is also better defensively. Much as I like JoMo, it isn't even close right now, IMO.
Do you have any d stats to back that up?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Look at the teams those 2 players have been on. I'm sure fans of those teams could make an argument.

I'm not making that rating according to my own 'homer' opinion. I'm being conservative so that no one can come and argue that I am overrating our guys. Although some probably would anyway - just like you are arguing the opposite.

Well I don't particularly care for the team argument as it could be used both ways. On a stronger team does Horvat sniff the role he has? Also as Boeser showed last year you can still make a significant impact on a weaker team. The opposite is true in that if Morrissey was on a weaker team one could make the argument that he likely would have a bigger role with a lot of PP time.

I'm personally just looking at the here and now with these players and not factoring things they can't control like team strength into it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well I don't particularly care for the team argument as it could be used both ways. On a stronger team does Horvat sniff the role he has? Also as Boeser showed last year you can still make a significant impact on a weaker team. The opposite is true in that if Morrissey was on a weaker team one could make the argument that he likely would have a bigger role with a lot of PP time.

I'm personally just looking at the here and now with these players and not factoring things they can't control like team strength into it.

We could make the argument that he should be getting more PP time as it is. In fact, I think I have. And I'm not disagreeing with you, which makes arguing very difficult. It is just the difference between a slightly aggressive ranking and a conservative one.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We could make the argument that he should be getting more PP time as it is. In fact, I think I have. And I'm not disagreeing with you, which makes arguing very difficult. It is just the difference between a slightly aggressive ranking and a conservative one.

Fair enough I also agree that he has earned more of an opportunity here the he has been given so far. Sometimes Maurice goes out of his way to be good to his vets. I hope he changed things up if the second unit continues to struggle.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Fair enough I also agree that he has earned more of an opportunity here the he has been given so far. Sometimes Maurice goes out of his way to be good to his vets. I hope he changed things up if the second unit continues to struggle.

:laugh: I hope he does quite a few things differently than he is so far. But if he manages another 110+ pt season it will be hard to criticize too much.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Scheif and Helly are at the top for me , especially Helly considering where Chevy picked him and the massive upgrade over Pavelec .

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I took Schiefele; even for how high he was taken, he still passed all expectations at the time, given that the expectations at the time were ".... huh?"

My cousin held his first Jets draft party for his friends, and as he tells it, for how hyper and excited and fired up everyone was, when Chevy announced that they were picking Schiefele his living room fell dead silent. The only sound you could hear is the turning of pages as people were flipping through their notes trying to find just how far down they had the guy listed.

Yet, Schiefele will have a stint where he is recognized as the best all-around player in the league, assuming he isn't already seen as such now. Made my choice an easy one.

Reactions: GNP

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Most have been great but Scheifele will always stand out as his best pick. This will probably be true as long as hes in the league.

Reactions: GNP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad