Prospect Info: Who is Canucks #7 prospect?

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Vey - 18 NHL games - 5 points
Corrado - 15 NHL games - 1 point

Don't see how Corrado is more valuable.

Actually, Corrado has 18 games and 4 playoff games.

He's almost 2 full years younger than Vey, and defensemen typically take an extra year or two to progress compared to forwards.

Corrado made exponential progression in 2 of the 3 years since he was selected by the Canucks.

Linden Vey has made large statistical progression in 2 of the 5 years since he was drafted.

On the merit of progression by age alone, I'm giving Corrado the edge. He doesn't have high end offensive tools, but like Tanev, he will be an excellent defenseman in terms of bang for the buck.

These guys don't get paid much because they don't put up a ton of points - but they're absolutely key to having a solid blueline. Playing a 2 on 1 properly, making well timed pinches, good breakout pass, clearing the crease, etc.

I'm by no means selling Vey short, but Corrado has shown more, if not the same despite being almost 2 years younger.

wholesickcrew

May 7, 2010
Toronto
So is our ranking going to break down into the following tiers:

1-2) Top ten picks (Horvat, Virtanen)
3-6) First-round picks (Shink, Jensen, Gaunce, McCann)
7-8) NHL experience (Corrado, Vey)

No surprises, I guess. Now if only I could think of a way to categorize Fox, Hutton, Cassels, Demko...

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
I'll take Corrado here. I had him ahead of a couple guys that got voted for already. I can see Corrado becoming a great second pairing dman for us, very reliable, and with some scoring touch.

I'll actually take Hutton next, as I can see him becoming an important top-4 dman for us as well.

Vey has put up some nice numbers... but I just don't entirely trust smallish offensive forwards who put up reasonably high numbers in the AHL. Mainly because I know nothing about him. But still, I don't trust him yet. How much better is he than Schroeder? (That was rhetorical, but if someone can answer it, I hope it's someone who has seen him play before and not just someone who is looking at his stats).

Also, multiple Kings fans have come around to dump on Vey already. Sure, some of them are likely bitter about him leaving their organization, but some of them have at least watched Vey play in the AHL for years.

I just think if Vey was a really good prospect, LA wold have made room for him, one way or another. And if they couldn't possibly make room, than another organization would give up more than a 2nd for him. ... then again, Spezza basically got a 2nd (and change) and Kesler got a late first (and change) and Neal got nothing (and change)... so maybe great players are just being given away for free these days?

I'll still take Corrado.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
So is our ranking going to break down into the following tiers:

1-2) Top ten picks (Horvat, Virtanen)
3-6) First-round picks (Shink, Jensen, Gaunce, McCann)
7-8) NHL experience (Corrado, Vey)

No surprises, I guess. Now if only I could think of a way to categorize Fox, Hutton, Cassels, Demko...

Lol. That's great.

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
We have lots of good prospects. Even guys like Hutton and Cassels who will barely break the top 10 look like legitimate prospects. There have been many, many years where when you got anywhere past the top 4 or 5 you entered throw away territory.

Feels weird. Also feels good.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Been voting Vey for a while. His pro track record is great. Good AHL stats. He should be ready for the next step and has upside.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
A guy who is PPG+ in the AHL at 22 years old is a top prospect. There's really no two-ways about it. Whether it translates, who knows. But this is where Vey belongs in our prospect rankings.

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
Corrado cracked this team's lineup in 2013 (considered a low end contender at the time) on a pretty stacked blueline, was used extensively in the playoffs and was solid despite his lack of experience and slight frame at the time.
No he wasn't. Corrado has basically screamed "not ready for the show" every time he's been up and hasn't played very well at the AHL level, either. There's still lots of time, defensemen develop slowly and he'll get all the time he needs. But since turning pro he's given no reason for you to think he's going to end up being any good at all.
This team lacks forward depth - and Vey might have been gift wrapped quite a few games playing for the Canucks. Despite this team's failure, defensive depth was never an issue until now.
What's the point here?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I'd say that Corrado looked very ready in his first callup, didn't look out of place at all.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Demko = 36th pick
Vey = 50th pick

This being valid presumes that Benning just called up Lombardi and made his best offer upfront - which is terrible negotiating - or that the Kings did not trade Vey under any kind of duress (that might make his trade value lower than his actual value as a player).

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Linden Vey is going to open some eyes in September.

Having said that, I wouldn't personally include him in this ranking. He's got a one-way contract and was brought in to play in the NHL, I see him as 'graduated' personally.

This is probably where Jensen should be, around 7. Voted Corrado. His ceiling may not be that high, but he's going to be a serviceable NHL defenceman for a long time.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

He's almost 2 full years younger than Vey, and defensemen typically take an extra year or two to progress compared to forwards.

Agree with this.

Corrado made exponential progression in 2 of the 3 years since he was selected by the Canucks.

Huh? Exponential progression?

In his draft year he scored 30 points in 67 games (nice for a 5th round pick). In his draft + 1 year he scored an underwhelming 26 points in 60 games. In his draft + 2 year he had a nice breakout and put up 45 points in 69 games in the OHL. That's pretty much exactly what you'd want to see from a Draft + 2 defenseman to suggest NHL potential -- almost no defensemen from the CHL will have meaningful NHL careers if they don't exceed .5PPG by their draft + 2 season. This season put Corrado on the map and included a nice little stint with the Canucks to end the season, for which he was overwhelmingly praised for basically sawing off pretty easy minutes.

Then last year he had an underwhelming turn in Utica to start the year, looked awful in the NHL, and reportedly had a nice end to the season down in the AHL. But he didn't produce a ton of offense and wasn't as good as Tanev was in his first AHL season (though Tanev was about a half year older).

I don't disagree that defensemen take longer and that Corrado is still a promising player who could follow a Chris Tanev like trajectory, but I think "exponential growth" in 2 of 3 seasons is a big stretch.

Linden Vey has made large statistical progression in 2 of the 5 years since he was drafted.

Again, I'm not sure where this is coming from?

His Draft + 1 season was statistically underwhelming after a strong draft season for a 4th rounder (he outproduced Virtanen and Horvat;)). But it's worth mentioning that Vey no longer had Ennis on his team and actually led his club in scoring in his draft + 1 season. I would argue it was "small growth" but we can call it static.

His Draft + 2 season was a hallmark exponential growth season though. He jumped up to 116 points and led his team in scoring by 35 points. This is the type of Draft + 2 season you'd expect from a legit prospect playing their 4th full season in the CHL, and it would be hard to argue that Corrado has had a season as dominant at any level.

His first season in the AHL (Draft + 3) is a non-growth year in your books, I'd assume. His 43 points in 74 games isn't that impressive for a 20 year old in the AHL, but it's worth mentioning that he was third on his team in scoring: the leading player had 50 points in 63 games. I wouldn't call it a great season, but it wasn't a bad first year for a player thrust into a top three role immediately in the AHL. I'll give you static on this one.

His next season (Draft + 4) was a definite growth year. He put up 67 points in 74 games, lead the team in scoring by 10+ points, and was third on the club in goals. I assume you have this as a "growth" year?

His last season (Draft + 5) looks like a small growth year to me, as well. He jumped up to 1+ PPG production (48 in 43) and had the highest PPG of any player on the team other than Toffoli, who had 23 in 18 games before getting the call up to the Kings.

Statistically, Vey has progressed at a rate that would make me comfortable projecting him as a possible 2nd/3rd liner with decent offensive upside. His improvement is on a fairly linear upward swing that doesn't raise a lot of questions. At the very least, I'd argue it's probably 3/5 years of solid progression, if not 4/5.

On the merit of progression by age alone, I'm giving Corrado the edge. He doesn't have high end offensive tools, but like Tanev, he will be an excellent defenseman in terms of bang for the buck.

I just don't see this argument concerning "progression by age alone". Sure, Corrado was called up early, but that was mostly due to injuries and poor club management by Gillis and AV. It's not like he played so well that he demanded a call-up.

These guys don't get paid much because they don't put up a ton of points - but they're absolutely key to having a solid blueline. Playing a 2 on 1 properly, making well timed pinches, good breakout pass, clearing the crease, etc.

I'm by no means selling Vey short, but Corrado has shown more, if not the same despite being almost 2 years younger.

I don't disagree with your assessment that Corrado could be that player, but I think he has more question marks about him. This is an important year for his development, and I'd hope he'd be in the AHL for at least the first half of the season, playing 24 minutes a night so that Benning can see what he has in Corrado before the trade deadline.

Again, it's early, but Corrado was absolutely terrible last year in a tough situation. I need to see more from him.

Last edited:

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I just don't see a lot of upside in Corrado maybe a 3/4 max. Voted Vey, although not really sure if he belongs in this prospect poll at all.

Don't see upside but he can be a 3/4? Your "upside" goes by some crazy standards.

I would be thrilled if Corrado became a 3/4 guy. Pretty much worth the same as a 2nd liner, which is probably Vey's ceiling.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011

I've adjusted my previous post to reflect the 22 games played by Corrado.

However, I think that only strengthens my rebuttal that you asked for.

Vey has had more contribution in his 18 games than Corrado has had in 22 games.

I'll agree with you however on the extra development it takes for dmen. That's a valid point.

On the other hand, it's because Corrado is still developing whereas Vey being more developed, puts Vey ahead of Corrado in development and thus 'value' to the team offensively. Corrado, iirc, is considered and offensive dman yes? Well, according to the data, and the development curve of both players, I would bet that Vey has more value to the team offensively in the upcoming and following season than Corrado.

And as well, this is nothing about taking anything away from Corrado. It may take him time to get up to speed, as dman often do. I've argued that Vey, Corrado and Jensen are the team's best prospect right now, because they're the most ready, and I would argue for Corrado on that as well. I believe that Vey has more value right now.

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
I voted Hutton. I see Corrado and Vey as more "sure-things" but I see Hutton's upside as the highest of the bunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad