Prospect Info: Who is Canucks #3 prospect?

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I'd probably go Horvat/Shinkaruk and then Virtanen a distant third after that. Not much difference between Horvat/Shinkaruk for me, either. Nice for the team to at least have a few prospects in the mix, though.

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
4: Jake Virtanen: He's talented and produced better than McCann but maybe i haven't seen enough of him but from what i have seen he seems to have one move which is speed down the wing and cut in using his size which will work great in junior, im just not sure how it will translate vs. someone like chara
I don't really have a problem with you putting him fourth, or even your criticism of his style, but I take issue with the last part. There is no such thing as "someone like Chara". There is Chara. Period. There has never been before, and will never be again, someone like Chara. And Chara will be gone by the time Virtanen is a player in this league.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I don't really have a problem with you putting him fourth, or even your criticism of his style, but I take issue with the last part. There is no such thing as "someone like Chara". There is Chara. Period. There has never been before, and will never be again, someone like Chara. And Chara will be gone by the time Virtanen is a player in this league.

I agree and did word that badly. Chara is the exception and not the norm but i do have trouble seeing him being able to pull that move off consistently agsaint NHL defensemen and not just the Chara's of the world.

If he in my limited viewings had shown more than just that, his shot and the production hes shown would have him higher on my list but as it is, in my opinon he seems to be this winger i fear will not have as high an impact on the team as the three above him.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
No kidding. The argument he was using is flawed. If a guy like Virtanen or Ritchie will have a tough time adjusting to the size of NHL defenders, it must hold that a smaller player like Ehlers will as well.

I don't think either theory holds. Every player is different. There are a number of factors that play when talking about how a prospect translates to the NHL.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
No kidding. The argument he was using is flawed. If a guy like Virtanen or Ritchie will have a tough time adjusting to the size of NHL defenders, it must hold that a smaller player like Ehlers will as well.

I don't think either theory holds. Every player is different. There are a number of factors that play when talking about how a prospect translates to the NHL.

My arguement was that having only one move will cause him to be predicatable which coupled with equal strenght from nhl defenders will make him easier to stop. Ehlers has shown more variety to score than Virtanen but i could be wrong there.

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
I think the bigger issue is that when you draft big kids who have had some success in junior, a part of that success is due to the size advantage - they're not better hockey players, they can just outmuscle younger kids. That advantage disappears completely when they get to the pro's, and if it's what they rely on, they will bust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad