Prospect Info: Who is Canucks #17 prospect?

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Wow poll #16 went by quick. Didn't even see this one at first. I guess it makes sense when the poll is a little more one-sided.

Went with Kenins.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Kenins followed by Zalewski then Forsling

After Kenins, I'm going to start voting Grenier. He had a good season, and his main flaw at this point is consistency. If he can tighten up that factor just a little bit, then his season will be that much better. I think he has a legit shot at making the NHL if he starts really working at it.

I think Grenier is a better prospect than Zalewski or Forsling - but if I'm wrong, please enlighten me because I may not know enough about those guys.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Voted kenins. Still no jeremie blain on the list even though he was given a relatively high prospect rating on this site

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Considering there is prospects on this list who have played NHL games...hell even scored in them on the board.

I really think our prospect pool is one of the most underrated in the league.

It shows what a little bit of emphasis on drafting can do. This really comes down to two years of trading for picks, rather than jettisoning them like cargo.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
It shows what a little bit of emphasis on drafting can do. This really comes down to two years of trading for picks, rather than jettisoning them like cargo.

I think it comes more from trading our best asset for a first round pick, and from finishing much lower in the standings than before.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
McNally screwed himself over with that scandal, or maybe his prof derailed a potential NHL'ers career by accident, either way he looks like hes gonna need a huge season in the AHL if he wants to put it all back together again. (If he even goes to the AHL)

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
McNally screwed himself over with that scandal, or maybe his prof derailed a potential NHL'ers career by accident, either way he looks like hes gonna need a huge season in the AHL if he wants to put it all back together again. (If he even goes to the AHL)

Oh right, that was McNally... :laugh:

Whatever... he's one of those borderline prospects that you eventually stop caring about anyways. If he turns into anything beyond borderline AHLer, I'd be happy enough...

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria

Also justifies trading picks when you're contending. Didn't take long to get a decent prospect cupboard.

Voted Kenins, but feel Lain is underrated. Lain showed okay in the bigs last year, and that was as a rookie pro. Has a legit shot at becoming a good 4C and will probably see some call up time this coming season.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Also justifies trading picks when you're contending. Didn't take long to get a decent prospect cupboard.

Voted Kenins, but feel Lain is underrated. Lain showed okay in the bigs last year, and that was as a rookie pro. Has a legit shot at becoming a good 4C and will probably see some call up time this coming season.

Agreed on both accounts. 2010/2011 was totally worth it. GMMG should have cut his losses earlier, and we would be a little ahead of where we are now.

Also, I like Lain as well. If we're going off ceiling, he doesn't get very high into the rankings. However I think he's far more likely to make the NHL than some others.

Ventana*

I would take McNally over all of these guys. Except maybe Forsling.

medhatcanuck

Jul 8, 2010
Inside JayZ's Belly

Yup, missing 1 season after a break-out freshman season can't help. I wonder why he didn't opt to go to the United States Development League like his teammate.

He has one last year for Harvard, if he plays well he signs, if he has another so-so year, then Canucks don't sign him and another team can take a chance on him.

At least he won't pull a Schultz and expect top 4 minutes and 1 way coming out of NCAA. He would need a Hobey Baker season before he considers demanding anything after what has gone on in the last two years.

I hope he does well though. But Hutton + Subban might make him expendable.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Totally forgot about Lain, who at least is huge and strong, and a reasonable skater for his size. Then there's LaBate, of whom you could say the same, except he's got a bit more skill and a bit less size, and maybe skates a bit better than Lain. But he's not here yet, so who knows, really.

Kenins seems like the next pick, as he was practically tied with McEneny in the opinion of many. Grenier has a claim, and Zalewski looked decent very briefly with the Canucks, and being almost a Utica townie, he'll get his Comet minutes for sure. It's pretty amazing to consider that, excepting Corrado and Eriksson, no 2013-14 Comets have been picked in this poll yet: no Archibald, Grenier, Lain, Tommernes, Friesen, or Andersson. No Forsling, Blomstrand, or Cederholm either. And no Mallet, shocking as that seems for a 2nd-round draft pick :sarcasm:

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
I like Forsling here. He has major upside, but is smaller. Bigger than Subban though. Nice swing for the fences pick in the 5th round.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
After Kenins, I'm going to start voting Grenier. He had a good season, and his main flaw at this point is consistency. If he can tighten up that factor just a little bit, then his season will be that much better. I think he has a legit shot at making the NHL if he starts really working at it.

I think Grenier is a better prospect than Zalewski or Forsling - but if I'm wrong, please enlighten me because I may not know enough about those guys.

I've been voting Grenier for a few picks now. Had a good AHL season on a pretty talent-deprived Utica team. Has some size and skill. Closer to NHL than some.

Probably projects only as a Steve Bernier type at most. But does Kenins project any better? And he still has to acclimatize to the NA game.

Forsling is my next choice. I like his package of tools: Skill, puck-moving, lethal shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad