Who hits 50 goals first? Laine or Matthews.

Who hits 50 goals first? Laine or Matthews.

• Laine

Votes: 248 60.3%
  • Matthews

Votes: 129 31.4%
  • Neither do it in their careers.

Votes: 34 8.3%

• Total voters

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Yeah, he is a good kid and loaded with talent, hard to live up to the hype he received within his fan base. I feel Matty is pulling away and leaving little doubt between them who is the better player, but I still for one won't count out Laine.

Yeap i agree right now matty definatly pulling away with twice the speed of laine at least but guys it is still so early altho i do hope either (or probably both) pull of a monster season with rocket/art Ross and right now laine looks out of it and matthews looks super strong with mcdavids numbers currently. Hope it continues.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeap i agree right now matty definatly pulling away with twice the speed of laine at least but guys it is still so early altho i do hope either (or probably both) pull of a monster season with rocket/art Ross and right now laine looks out of it and matthews looks super strong with mcdavids numbers currently. Hope it continues.
I know the season is still early but so far when Matthews has not put up a goal or an assist which has happened in 2 games, he has managed to score in every other game.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
I know the season is still early but so far when Matthews has not put up a goal or an assist which has happened in 2 games, he has managed to score in every other game.

But that likely won't continue. At least not to the level its at now (high shot% + oISH% = 115 pt current pace).

I'm more impressed with the fact he's an incredibly consistent dominant force in all zones on the ice regardless of whether he picks up points on any given night or not.

Reactions: Johnny Steps

Narow

Nov 11, 2016

Yep he is insane. He has the chance to pull off an historic season if he keeps that up. He definatly continued his consistency from last part of the last season untill now, is this his new normal? If so we are likely looking at the best player in the league. Anyways untill that happends i dont want to get too far ahead of myself but so far things are looking outstanding for matthews!

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
But that likely won't continue. At least not to the level its at now (high shot% + oISH% = 115 pt current pace).

I'm more impressed with the fact he's an incredibly consistent dominant force in all zones on the ice regardless of whether he picks up points on any given night or not.

What is his current CF/60 ? I bet its over 70.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yep he is insane. He has the chance to pull off an historic season if he keeps that up. He definatly continued his consistency from last part of the last season untill now, is this his new normal? If so we are likely looking at the best player in the league. Anyways untill that happends i dont want to get too far ahead of myself but so far things are looking outstanding for matthews!
Up until the first game this season when Matthews was held scoreless, if you included last years playoffs he had goals or assists in 8/9 games that went back to Games 4, 5 & 6 against Washington.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Sportsnet had an article this morning that listed it at ~67 I think. His CA/60 was ~52 IIRC. Insane differential so far.

Alright so slight increase in cf (it was super high allready last season) but an huuuge decrease in GA. No wonder less puck are getting in their own net. Awesome development this year will be even better than last for leafs fan im happy for you!

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Matthews 8g/14pts vs Laine 4g/6pts thus far this year.

the gap between these two is getting bigger and bigger

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

Laine is a good kid and a terrific player, and I believe he truly will be fine, I think the summer of training in the gym threw him off to start, and I believe he is still rounding out a lot of his game.

He may or may not be wired to do certain things in the ice, but is star and fantastic young player, and will only get better. I for one will always be a big fan of his and hope for his continued success.

I do think he needs a better line driver and system in place to utilize him, help him find holes and lanes to get that cannon off. I also believe he has more to his game then just that, and will show us an improved laine sooner rather than later.

I just don't want to see unfair expectations placed on the kid, and let him be the best player he can be, at his own pace.

I do feel Matty is the better player, but I hope nobody feels I want Laine to fail, he has a huge fan in me, and I want him to succeed!

Last edited:

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Laine is a good kid and a terrific player, and I believe he truly will be fine, I think the summer of training in the gym threw him off to start, and I believe he is still rounding out a lot of his game.

He may or may not be wired to do certain things in the ice, but is star and fantastic young player, and will only get better. I for one will always be a big fan of his and hope for his continued success.

I do think he needs a better line driver and system in place to utilize him, help him find holes and lanes to get that cannon off. I also believe he has more to his game then just that, and will show us an improved laine sooner rather than later.

I just don't want to see unfair expectations placed on the kid, and let him be the best player he can be, at his own pace.

I do feel Matty is the better player, but I hope nobody feels I want Laine to fail, he has a huge fan in me, and I want him to succeed!

I think you are right.

I would also like to add that his creativity seems a bit hempered at the moment. Perhaps due to focusing on mimizing holes in his game or whatever. Im certain tho that we will see much more of that creativity at some point this season.

Its a bit like marner in this regard they seem focused on other parts than offense to start this season. Surely both will pick it up.

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I think you are right.

I would also like to add that his creativity seems a bit hempered at the moment. Perhaps due to focusing on mimizing holes in his game or whatever. Im certain tho that we will see much more of that creativity at some point this season.

Its a bit like marner in this regard they seem focused on other parts than offense to start this season. Surely both will pick it up.

Agreed! Both really trying to improve in so many other areas that offence and creativity are secondary at the moment.

Both players will put it all together, too much talent not to, and we will all laugh at the early season worries.

Man so much talent in the league! What a time to be watching hockey!

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Agreed! Both really trying to improve in so many other areas that offence and creativity are secondary at the moment.

Both players will put it all together, too much talent not to, and we will all laugh at the early season worries.

Man so much talent in the league! What a time to be watching hockey!

Indeed :) and so much more talent on the horizon!

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
How nice of them to hype up Laine to be the future best player in the world (yes, they actually said Laine was going to be better than McDavid) and the leave the Jets fans who did none of the overhyping to fend for themselves.

Yeah, I honestly feel many people painted all of them the same, when in fact I have had many great convos about both players with them..

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Indeed :) and so much more talent on the horizon!

It's glorious!

I am impressed with the international talent coming in! so many great leagues and players overseas, we are spoiled with how much countries are producing.

What a crap time to not have the NHL in the olympics.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
It's glorious!

I am impressed with the international talent coming in! so many great leagues and players overseas, we are spoiled with how much countries are producing.

What a crap time to not have the NHL in the olympics.

I know right!!! Not getting to see mcdavid+crosby+stamkos or matthews+eichel+kessel/gaudreau or Bäckström+nylander+forsberg or laine+barkov+aho or ovi+malkin+kucherov, a few that will be too old at the next olympics should be considered a crime against hockey fans... especially newer international fans who dont have the luxury to follow nhl...

Anyways upcoming talent i have my eyes on dahlin/svechikov/tolvanen wgo could light it up their first year in the league perhaps as much as matthews/laine.

On topic tho who would you say could score 50 before matthews laine besides ovi?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I know right!!! Not getting to see mcdavid+crosby+stamkos or matthews+eichel+kessel/gaudreau or Bäckström+nylander+forsberg or laine+barkov+aho or ovi+malkin+kucherov, a few that will be too old at the next olympics should be considered a crime against hockey fans... especially newer international fans who dont have the luxury to follow nhl...

Anyways upcoming talent i have my eyes on dahlin/svechikov/tolvanen wgo could light it up their first year in the league perhaps as much as matthews/laine.

On topic tho who would you say could score 50 before matthews laine besides ovi?

Agreed! Its a crime against hockey fans!

I so badly wanted to see those international lineups. The kids I bolded above are amazing, along with Veleno, Samuelsson, Mcisaac, Groulx to add in, we are in for a treat!

My money would be on Stamkos or Kucherov

You?

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
While Matthews snipe last night was an absolute beauty, credit has to be given to the playmaking of Laine.

His assist on the Pittsburgh overtime goal was magnificent. The only thing that overshadowed that lovely pass to Phil kessel was the "backchecking" done by Laine as he pulled the chute on kessel by the blue line, allowing kessel to score an easy breakaway. Wow! What an assist!

Reactions: IPS

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Agreed! Its a crime against hockey fans!

I so badly wanted to see those international lineups. The kids I bolded above are amazing, along with Veleno, Samuelsson, Mcisaac, Groulx to add in, we are in for a treat!

My money would be on Stamkos or Kucherov

You?

Stamkos, kucherov aswell haha but ill throw in tarasenko in there too as i believe he is capable to do it if everything goes right.

Reactions: DanM

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
While Matthews snipe last night was an absolute beauty, credit has to be given to the playmaking of Laine.

His assist on the Pittsburgh overtime goal was magnificent. The only thing that overshadowed that lovely pass to Phil kessel was the "backchecking" done by Laine as he pulled the chute on kessel by the blue line, allowing kessel to score an easy breakaway. Wow! What an assist!
This seems oddly vindictive.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016

You feel pretty smug now right? You know at first oppurtunity people wilö throw things like this back on your fanbase...sad but true.

Anyways prepare to eat crow at any given point this season i hear its delicious :)

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

Never quite understand why so many people enjoy kicking someone when they’re down?

Classy, I must say.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016

At least they got a point in that game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad