Who hits 50 goals first? Laine or Matthews.

Who hits 50 goals first? Laine or Matthews.

• Laine

Votes: 248 60.3%
  • Matthews

Votes: 129 31.4%
  • Neither do it in their careers.

Votes: 34 8.3%

• Total voters

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Laine with his second overtime winning assist in as many nights. This time he got the primary assist on Columbus' OT winner, while last night he sent Kessel in all alone in OT. Kid is on fire

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Laine with his second overtime winning assist in as many nights. This time he got the primary assist on Columbus' OT winner, while last night he sent Kessel in all alone in OT. Kid is on fire

Damn again?

Cant help but feel at the moment that laine is actually taking steps back... looking at some tape from before nhl he looked so much better than under maurice. Especially this seson with their emphasis on defense...

Yep jets arent going nowhere for a while...

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's almost like watching the Twilight Zone since Matthews has both overtime winning goals for the Leafs this season.

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
He shouldn't have admitted that he didn't skate or practice his shot for 4-5 months in the summer. Dude is taking things for granted and only bulking up in the off season?

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Wow he got knocked off the puck like a little bug on that OT winner. Pretty much an AHL player outside of his shooting ability, absolutely pathetic in his own zone.

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
When did he say that because it's the first time I'm hearing it.
Link in Finnish https://www.suomikiekko.com/2017/08...kenut-kehitysaskeleita-vahan-erilaista-ollut/

"– Tämä oli vasta toinen kerta, kun kävin kunnolla jäällä kauden päättymisen jälkeen, Laine sanoiSuomiKiekko-sivustolle Oulussa järjestetyn hyväntekeväisyysottelun yhteydessä.
– Kyllä siellä jäällä ehtii olla taas ihan tarpeeksi. Tässä on tullut käytyä salilla ja on haettu nopeutta eri treenien kautta.
"

That was in mid August. He basically said it was his second time on the ice since the season ended so that was a 4 month period in which he was on the ice 2 times. And that second time was a charity event so maybe the first one was too?? Lol

Last edited:

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Damn again?

Cant help but feel at the moment that laine is actually taking steps back... looking at some tape from before nhl he looked so much better than under maurice. Especially this seson with their emphasis on defense...

Yep jets arent going nowhere for a while...

His spirit is broken.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He shouldn't have admitted that he didn't skate or practice his shot for 4-5 months in the summer. Dude is taking things for granted and only bulking up in the off season?
I'm kind of inclined to agree here. I remember a quote this past summer that was along the lines of "Enough skating is done during the season anyway so there's no need to skate during the summer" which to me seemed really cocky. Actually, what you quoted there was pretty close to what I remember reading him say.

Surely you can bulk up but also work on things like your stickhandling, shot, skating skills? Especially when we think of stickhandling drills - Those can even be done during recovery and isn't that exhausting. It's simply technique. It should be far more productive than just working at the gym and bulking up. Also, when we think about explosive training, sprinting and such - Why not train explosively on skates instead? One would assume that that'll translate far better. For skating skills, these also can be relatively relaxing recovery training which is more skill-based and a far better use of recovery time than simply taking a walk, for example.

It really shows too, because even if Laine's heavier and stronger than last season, he's even slower now.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
I'm kind of inclined to agree here. I remember a quote this past summer that was along the lines of "Enough skating is done during the season anyway so there's no need to skate during the summer" which to me seemed really cocky. Actually, what you quoted there was pretty close to what I remember reading him say.

Surely you can bulk up but also work on things like your stickhandling, shot, skating skills? Especially when we think of stickhandling drills - Those can even be done during recovery and isn't that exhausting. It's simply technique. It should be far more productive than just working at the gym and bulking up. Also, when we think about explosive training, sprinting and such - Why not train explosively on skates instead? One would assume that that'll translate far better. For skating skills, these also can be relatively relaxing recovery training which is more skill-based and a far better use of recovery time than simply taking a walk, for example.

It really shows too, because even if Laine's heavier and stronger than last season, he's even slower now.
I'm actually agreeing with one of the lead members of the Finnish Five? Wow

Laine has always been way too cocky for his own good. Everyone obviously remembers the "I should have been drafted first overall" and his infamous eyeroll when they announced Matthews wins the Calder in an absolute beat down.

But this whole "I didn't need to work on my skating or on ice skills in the offseason" might just take the cake. What a terrible, cocky, immature thing to say.

Now he's sitting here with less points than Auston Matthews has goals!! But somehow, he doesn't need to work on his game? Time to grow up

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Wow he got knocked off the puck like a little bug on that OT winner. Pretty much an AHL player outside of his shooting ability, absolutely pathetic in his own zone.
You don't actually believe this garbage, do you?

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Link in Finnish https://www.suomikiekko.com/2017/08...kenut-kehitysaskeleita-vahan-erilaista-ollut/

"– Tämä oli vasta toinen kerta, kun kävin kunnolla jäällä kauden päättymisen jälkeen, Laine sanoiSuomiKiekko-sivustolle Oulussa järjestetyn hyväntekeväisyysottelun yhteydessä.
– Kyllä siellä jäällä ehtii olla taas ihan tarpeeksi. Tässä on tullut käytyä salilla ja on haettu nopeutta eri treenien kautta.
"

That was in mid August. He basically said it was his second time on the ice since the season ended so that was a 4 month period in which he was on the ice 2 times. And that second time was a charity event so maybe the first one was too?? Lol

Honestly I cant get over this.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Remember the uproar in Toronto when Kessel said the same thing?
And if Laine was hyped up to be the next Phil kessel, all would be fine.

Problem is a large vocal crew guaranteed us 70-80+ goal seasons and up to 160 points a year. There's maybe 2 players in the history of hockey that have the talent to do that without putting off-season work in to it.

Laine is proving that he is not a part of that group, like all of us knowledgable fans have said. I still think he can be a 70 point guy in his prime, with around 40 goals a year, but to get there, he's really going to need to put in huge amounts of work in the offseason. His play this year is nothing short of unacceptable and disappointing

Narow

Nov 11, 2016

Problem is a large vocal crew guaranteed us 70-80+ goal seasons and up to 160 points a year. There's maybe 2 players in the history of hockey that have the talent to do that without putting off-season work in to it.

Laine is proving that he is not a part of that group, like all of us knowledgable fans have said. I still think he can be a 70 point guy in his prime, with around 40 goals a year, but to get there, he's really going to need to put in huge amounts of work in the offseason. His play this year is nothing short of unacceptable and disappointing

I know one poster that said that...another one that said his ceiling could be 120 points...

It is litteraly 2 posters at most not a large vocal crew at all...

Can we please stop taking the most extreme opinions and predictions as something representative of more than those couple (litteraly).

And i dont know if it is really wise to judge whar type of player laine is and can be from this season (so far)...it is not just him not living up to his name on the team...

The jets have managed a whooping 24 goals.... 24! Their suoer defense style or whatever it is might just not suit laines strengths, perhaps he is slumping perhaps he is just having a slow start.

Now if he ends the season at 20 goals and 50 points id be very very dissapointed and might even ageee with you but ATLEAST let him have a bad season first.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013

No one said that. Please shhhhhh you annoy Leafs fans more than Jets fans

Reactions: Johnny Steps

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I know one poster that said that...another one that said his ceiling could be 120 points...

It is litteraly 2 posters at most not a large vocal crew at all...

Can we please stop taking the most extreme opinions and predictions as something representative of more than those couple (litteraly).

And i dont know if it is really wise to judge whar type of player laine is and can be from this season...it is not just him not living up to his name on the team...

The jets have managed a whooping 24 goals.... 24! Their suoer defense style or whatever it is might just not suit laines strengths, perhaps he is slumping perhaps he is just having a slow start.

Now if he ends the season at 20 goals and 50 points id be very very dissapointed and might even ageee with you but ATLEAST let him have a bad season first.

I think Caitlyn Jenner got the point across.

They were ranking Laine multiple tiers above Matthews before the draft, saying he will top McDavid as the future best player in the world, saying he will score more points than prime Sidney Crosby, among many other ridiculous things.

We're not talking about you Narrow. The Finnish 5 should be fully aware that there will be backlash to their nonsense when Laine fails to live up to the insane expectations they set for him.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
I think Caitlyn Jenner got the point across.

They were ranking Laine multiple tiers above Matthews before the draft, saying he will top McDavid as the future best player in the world, saying he will score more points than prime Sidney Crosby, among many other ridiculous things.

We're not talking about you Narrow. The Finnish 5 should be fully aware that there will be backlash to their nonsense when Laine fails to live up to the insane expectations they set for him.

I get that but why so much focus on it? If we just ignore it to a larger extend and take it for what it is perhaps we can have decent comversations about this player without the infecting mudslinging that just gives both fanbases a sour aftertaste.

Personally i would find it alot more giving if we could critize laines play and discuss that instead of critisizing wacky predictions and statements.

If we just keep going eye for an eye on what has been said we will just end up blind... it is time to move on from the "he said,she said" phase and start having a bit more giving discussions.

See i think laine grew on some of you despite what some of his biggest fans say just as matthews grew on us. Lets not let the few ruin for the many. Incase you havent noticed as soon as laind do great some posters come here and post but as soon as he isent doing great they dissapears and we are left with the aftermath...there are posters like this on both sides and perhaps even outsiders. And have a bit of understanding that last season Laine looked insanely promising especially for his age and what not, it is bound to bring some wacky predictions... its not the last time that will happen.

So to summarize. Less focuse on what people predict and more on the actual player.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I get that but why so much focus on it? If we just ignore it to a larger extend and take it for what it is perhaps we can have decent comversations about this player without the infecting mudslinging that just gives both fanbases a sour aftertaste.

Personally i would find it alot more giving if we could critize laines play and discuss that instead of critisizing wacky predictions and statements.

If we just keep going eye for an eye on what has been said we will just end up blind... it is time to move on from the "he said,she said" phase and start having a bit more giving discussions.

See i think laine grew on some of you despite what some of his biggest fans say just as matthews grew on us. Lets not let the few ruin for the many. Incase you havent noticed as soon as laind do great some posters come here and post but as soon as he isent doing great they dissapears and we are left with the aftermath...there are posters like this on both sides and perhaps even outsiders.

So to summarize. Less focuse on what people predict and more on the actual player.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Edit: delete

Last edited:

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

Yes, and they've went AWOL. Now you have the semi-reasonable posters left picking up their garbage, so I don't really see the point of throwing darts at them.

His play this year has been disappointing to say the least, but it's still way too early to be predicting his future off of 10 or however many games he's played. Lets not forget he was toe-to-toe with Matthews all year last year in production. He definitely still has PPG+ potential, and 50 goal potential.

I do agree that the posters who we're saying 120+ points as soon as this year, or any year for that matter, and were comparing him to historical greats and laughing at US when we said that's ridiculous, are looking really really dumb right now. But they were the minority.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Mugzy never said anything like that. All i'm saying he has potential to score 150-200 pts at his prime. He is generational player so it's pretty hard to recognize his potential, because there hasn't been any snipers with that kind of passing skills and vision.

From another thread about Laine.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
For the sake of you - sure, I'll put the banter aside.

The league has really picked up on Laine's tendencies this year and he needs to adjust. Take away his open looks and play him rough and he's a non-factor, Columbus demonstrated this to a tee last night. I think the Finnish crew needs to stop blaming Little and Maurice for Laine under performing.

There were some tell-tale signs from last year that Laine had a bit of lady luck on his side: He scored a ton of points against 3 teams (not sure about the exact numbers), Dallas, Toronto and St. Louis. He had 11 goals in his first 15 games and the league was clearly caught off-guard as they had no idea how good he was at shooting the puck. His OISH% (Scheif's too) was insane, you cannot expect them to sustain that (again, the Finnish crew thought he could). And he did capitalize off some empty net opportunities (this pertains more to the Matthews comparison though).

These things got taken for granted for the most part. I do think Laine can overcome this and be one of the best offensive players in the league - but I sincerely believe his lack of explosive skating will hold him back to a degree unless he improves upon it. The best goal-scorers of the last decade (Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, etc..) all had this trait. Laine honestly skates more like Dany Heatley (before he became terrible) than those guys. Heatley relied on Spezza to set him up to do his thing, and as it stands so far, Laine will need to rely on other players for him to do his thing.
Dany Heatley is an interesting one. Another close comparable that has been discussed by the hockey experts is a (good version) of Thomas Vanek. Both have great shots and poor skating and defence. They play very similar as well. The experts made some compelling arguments and comparisons between Laine and Vanek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad