Who has the most to prove these playoffs?

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Oil first because of the contract situations. Leafs obviously, and i think Boston will be under some pressure to not be upset back to back years.

Baberham Lincoln

Nov 5, 2019
Toronto
Just doing a deep dive into McDavid's playoff stats and in 2022 where he had that huge year scoring 33 pts in 16 games he was -4 in the 4 game series sweep against COL.

In 2023 he had a +/- of 0 against Vegas so was pretty much ineffective in providing a boost. He sure scores a lot but gets scored on just as much.

Reactions: Miro4Norris

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Oil first because of the contract situations. Leafs obviously, and i think Boston will be under some pressure to not be upset back to back years.
Is it an upset? I mean, Boston has done fine this season, but it's more like they overachieved. I have a hard time considering it a huge upset if Bruins lose to Tampa.

If we look at the top point scorers, too, on Bruins it's 109 67 60 58 47 and on Tampa it's 141 89 78 76 73

Reactions: 1specter and SPV

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Is it an upset? I mean, Boston has done fine this season, but it's more like they overachieved. I have a hard time considering it a huge upset if Bruins lose to Tampa.

If we look at the top point scorers, too, on Bruins it's 109 67 60 58 47 and on Tampa it's 141 89 78 76 73
Bruins have the most regular season points over the last decade and haven’t won a cup. I believe the top 4 teams behind them in regular season points over the past decade have all won cups.

They need to win a couple playoff series. Definitely can’t be bounced in the first round for a 3rd straight season.

Reactions: UConn126

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Last page is filled with McD Legacy comments. Agree, if he retires without a cup it'll be mentioned. Does everyone know something I don't? He doesn't seem very close to retirement to me. Does he have Cancer? Did I seriously read a Dionne comparison a minute ago (he was 37 when he retired, 10 years older than McD is today). Is the man dying and I missed the Friedman tweet? Dude has another decade of hockey left.

Ouch. Don't be so hurt because people seem to think that McDavid needs to step up in the playoffs. There's more to hockey than scoring goals. Defense counts. If the other team never scores your team is probably winning the game. Quit cherry picking and play defense. And yes, I know he's gotten better, but still.

Last edited:
Reactions: sanscosm

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
In terms of individual players it's Matthews for sure. Guy needs to have a big playoff performance for once, especially coming off one of the best goalscoring seasons in NHL history.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Last playoffs Matthews drove the Leafs comeback in game 4 when they were down 4-1 and scored two goals late in the third. He also broke a 0-0 tie in a close game 6 (and was the best player in the game) which they eventually won in OT. Overall his playoff performances have been a mixed bag, but more often than not he's been the team's best player. Definitely sucked against Florida though.

Hey man, if you are cool with Matthews turning into Nick Suzuki or Bo Horvat come playoff time, that's cool.

Just doing a deep dive into McDavid's playoff stats and in 2022 where he had that huge year scoring 33 pts in 16 games he was -4 in the 4 game series sweep against COL.

In 2023 he had a +/- of 0 against Vegas so was pretty much ineffective in providing a boost. He sure scores a lot but gets scored on just as much.

Ah the old deep dive that uses +/- and then doesn't break down how many points were scored on the PP and didn't effect +/-.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Bruins have the most regular season points over the last decade and haven’t won a cup. I believe the top 4 teams behind them in regular season points over the past decade have all won cups.

They need to win a couple playoff series. Definitely can’t be bounced in the first round for a 3rd straight season.
Yes, but why is that? It's not necessarily that Bruins are the best team in terms of peak performance, it's more that Bruins are a very consistent team who rarely loses against bottom feeders. But truth is, in matches between top teams, how frequently a team loses to bottom feeders in lopsided matchups doesn't really matter. And Bruins just lost Bergeron. As I said, I think they've been overperforming this season. Their 1C is Zacha.

You might have had a point a couple of years ago, but right now?

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Hey man, if you are cool with Matthews turning into Nick Suzuki or Bo Horvat come playoff time, that's cool.

Ah the old deep dive that uses +/- and then doesn't break down how many points were scored on the PP and didn't effect +/-.
Strange reply. I was responding to the guy saying he can't remember any big games Matthews has had. I also clearly said he sucked against Florida, which would imply he needs to be better. You guys are obsessed with pot shots rather than actual discussion whenever it comes to the Leafs :laugh:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm going to go against the grain of all the Leafs and Oilers answers (I'm asusming those are the main choices without having read the thread) and say Carolina.
Elite regular season team the last 3 now 4 seasons and not one Conference Finals win to show for it. It's Go Time for Brind'Amour's crew.
Rangers, Leafs, Oilers are good answers too.

The player under the most pressure to win is Matthews especially now that he's tacking on a 70 goal season.
I say Matthews simply because of the insane pressure cooker that Leafs Nation, media and fans, are.

Last edited:

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Sheldon Keefe needs to prove it the most that he can take his team to the promised land. It's cup final or bust for him and the buds.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
I'm going to go against the grain of all the Leafs and Oilers answers (I'm asusming those are the main choices without having read the thread) and say Carolina.
Elite regular season team the last 3 now 4 seasons and not one Conference Finals win to show for it. It's Go Time for Brind'Amour's crew.
Rangers, Leafs, Oilers are good answers too.
Hall 1st overall
RNH 1st overall
Yak 1st overall
Nurse 7th overall
Drai 3rd overall
McD 1st overall
Pulj 4th overall
Bouch 10th overall
Broberg 8th overall

Its the Oilers.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I'll throw honourable mention to the Bruins, who in the past ten years (excluding this one) has made the playoffs seven times, but have only won (I think) seven rounds. They had one good run, and that was in the Finals loss to St. Louis when the Blues won the Stanley Cup in 2019. Otherwise, they've been a collection of first and second round exits.

Boston is a well-run organization with a longevity of regular season success, but their playoff performance over the past decade has left something to be desired. I can't imagine their front office was happy with how the post-season went last year after a historic regular season.

They don't have "the most" to prove, but I think they're a team to watch.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
1) Leafs - always have a lot to prove, but the core 4 needs to deliver after matthews big season and nylanders big raise
2) Oilers - the results could have big implications for the future of draisaitl and mcdavid in edmonton
3) Stars - had some big runs but they want to win soon before seguin/pavelski/benn retire
4) Panthers - to prove last year wasn't a fluke
5) Avalanche - don't want to lose r1 again (although losing against the jets isn't as embarrassing as kraken)

honorable mentions: bruins - chokejob last year, no bergeron so marchand has to prove he can lead them to some success
tampa - do they still have what it takes or is that core washed up
rangers - always seem to go far but never all the way
kings - don't want to lose to the oilers again lol
golden knights - defending champ* 115 million caphits, they don't want to be embarrassed with their super squad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad