Who has the most pressure next season?

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Varlamov. Everyone points to him as the biggest reason for the Avs success. All eyes will be on him to see if he can repeat, and carry the Avs again.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
ROR or Varly. Varly in the fact that he will have to carry the team again into the playoffs. ROR... having to justify his contract/contract demands.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Varly for the reasons Avs71 said. He just came off a Vezina worthy season and was by far the team's MVP. Plus he's a goalie. He plays the one position where it's completely up to him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Duchene and Varly.

Duchene will have to step his defensive game up a lot with Stastny gone, and still be expected to contribute at a PPG pace.

Varly will have to bail his team out again every game, which will be even tougher since they're worse defensively with Stastny gone. Dater will continue to fail at understanding hockey and place all the blame on him when the team loses.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Voted for Roy for the expectations he will have now.

I doubt the pressure will faze him though.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I think a lot of people will face pressure but will not have the fear of being ousted whatsoever - Varlamov, Duchene and Roy all have jobs here for as long as they want, as it stands right now. O'Reilly is clearly getting on management's last nerve, and if he stays and doesn't live up to his own hype, he'll be traded. If he stays, though, I think he has a monster season coming up.

JeffFingerDiscount

Feb 15, 2010
It's Varlamov. Brand-new contract after a stellar season. If he falls short this year, the I-told-you-sos will be out in force.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I believe it's Roy. The line up is different, he just won the Jack Adams, the division title, ousted in 7 games and every pundit/expert is once again expecting the Avs to fail.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
MacLeod, Hejda, and Wilson all have expiring contracts.

I'd say Hejda probably has the most pressure especially after a lot of fans blamed him for the playoff loss.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Roy probably. If the team takes a step back all eyes will be in him especially because he's VP too.

Varly will be heavily scrutinized but everyone expects him to suck. MacKinnon has the pressure to become Stamkos. The Canadian/eastern media know him well and expect greatness.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
I think Varly will have the most pressure followed closely by Roy. Everyone is going to have to show that we can consistently be a threat in the West and prove last year was the first of many.

"Why not us, again?"

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
Varly will have to bail his team out again every game, which will be even tougher since they're worse defensively with Stastny gone.

I think our defense looks a little better going into the 14-15 season compared to last year ! I sure hope it's better :help:. I'm curious to know how many fans think the defense is going to be as bad as last year ...

I find it looks a little better :

Hejda-Johnson
Barrie-Stuart
Holden- Whoever

I'm hoping Stuart surprises us in a positive way because I'm still not too sure about him. Sharks fans seem delighted to have gotten rid of him... If Barrie and Holden continue to improve and build from the end of their 13-14 season, that could really work wonders for the team.

It would have been nice to have one of our D prospects ready for the NHL this year (Bigras for example). I know it's still the weakest part of the team but I'm hoping it's a little better :).

To get back to the subject, I picked Patrick Roy being under the most pressure. Just as someone else said above, I certainly don't think he's going to feel any pressure (he's just that type of guy) but I do think the media is going to be watching him with a hawks eye.

Praying Varly's workload is lessened next year because I don't know if he'll be able to repeat what he did last year ...

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
MacKinnon. Losing Stastny means he has to grow up in a hurry. He's going to be challenged by opponents in a way he wasn't last year and he's going to be asked to play much better defense than last year.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
If ROR plays for the Avs on a Arbitration contract or if on a long term deal where it looks like the Avs were forced to buckle and accept, I think it will be him.

Sakic/Roy (Avs FO) would be my second choice as the front office has made some questionable moves that if the Avs underwhelm will draw major criticism.

Varly would be next as he had an amazing year and if he regresses too much towards his previous form, Dater will start in on the Anderson talk all over again.

Dater will get my honorable mention. He'll have to find someone besides Stastny to ***** about all the time during games.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If ROR plays for the Avs on a Arbitration contract or if on a long term deal where it looks like the Avs were forced to buckle and accept, I think it will be him.

Sakic/Roy (Avs FO) would be my second choice as the front office has made some questionable moves that if the Avs underwhelm will draw major criticism.

Varly would be next as he had an amazing year and if he regresses too much towards his previous form, Dater will start in on the Anderson talk all over again.

Dater will get my honorable mention. He'll have to find someone besides Stastny to ***** about all the time during games.

He always hates the highest paid. He likes Duchene so then it probably rolls over to Varly unless ROR ends up highest paid.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
MacKinnon. Losing Stastny means he has to grow up in a hurry. He's going to be challenged by opponents in a way he wasn't last year and he's going to be asked to play much better defense than last year.
I would say MacKinnon was already keyed on for a whole series against the Wild. He was the straw that stirred the drink on that line, in the playoffs at least. I'm sure he knows the Star treatment he's going to be receiving from opposition.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Roy eats pressure for breakfast and then asks for a 2nd serving.

I'm more worried about Varly. He wasn't spectacular under pressure in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad