Who has played best? (Preseason-Defense)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
More Babcock quotes on the "kids" on defense

“He’s a good young player,†coach Mike Babcock said. “He needs to spend another year in the minors and get stronger and get used to the game a little bit. I think the guys that are pushing are Ouellet and Marchenko. Jensen’s been a real surprise. Sproul’s a good player. I thought there was four D, there’s actually five of them looking to play in the league.â€

Jensen scored the winning goal in Monday’s preseason victory over Toronto, while Ouellet, Marchenko and Sproul all picked up an assist.

That first quote is just about Backman fyi

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=732392

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
It's funny how before the preseason all the talk was about Ouellet and Sproul and Backman and Marchenko, and now it gets even more crowded by Jensen outplaying all of them. I would be in favour of starting Jensen with the Wings and demoting either (or both) of Kindl and Lashoff.

Mort Divine

Jun 12, 2012
Fargo, ND
Get rid of either Kindl or Lashoff

Roll with

Kronwall - Smith
Ericsson - DDK
Quincey - Jensen
Kindl or Lashoff

Upon injuries call up GR players

Pretty solid defense

EDIT: Pretty cool knowing that we have two of the best recent NCAA defensemen on our team

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It would help us a lot to have a skater like Jensen as our #6 instead of Kindl/Lashoff. Seems like a no-brainer to make that happen.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I want Jensen to start the season with the wings more than I wanted Nyquist to start with the wings last season.

That's not to say Jensen, is or will be a better NHLer than Gus; I just hate the idea of our 4, 5, 6, and 7 defenders consisting of Kindl, Q, Smith, Lashoff :cry:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I mean, we KNOW by now they our #6 and #7 defenseman can't the job done. They've been exposed way too much over the calendar year.

They should be looking to plug at least 1 of these kids in that brings a different element, and has the upside to build on that role.

Jensen brings the right handed shot, the skating, the ability to lead the rush himself, and doesn't shy from contact.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I wanted Marchenko for his right handedness, but Jensen has really grown on me. He is the oldest of the group, so probably isn't going to greatly improve his pre NHL game with more AHL experience. My only concern with him was playing readyness since he missed so much time last year, but as defensive minded skating dman ala Dekeyser.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I get a sense that there is going to be a move in the very near future. A lot of teams have sent players on the waiver wire and so far, Holland has not sent anyone since Coreau, Paterson and Tvrdon last saturday.

I would have to think that Kindl or Lashoff would be on their way out and one of the four kids would be in.

EDIT : Aubry and McCollum have been sent on waivers to be assigned to GR.

Last edited:

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
gregg krupa ‏@greggkrupa
babcock: marchenko, jensen, oullet particularly impressive among young d-men. #RedWings

After seeing a couple of pre-season games, I tend to agree. Great surprise to see Jensen there, too.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Update: Backman and Sproul Assigned to GR

This leaves: Ouellet; Jensen; Marchenko.

I believe Jensen and Ouellet will duke it out to see who has the best chance to... (be the top prospect)... who may or may not make the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad