Who has played best? (Preseason-Defense)

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Here are our top D prospects playing preseason games:

Xavier Ouellet
Ryan Sproul
Alexey Marchenko
Mattias Backman
Nick Jensen

Which of these players has played the best so far?
What do you like about their games? What do you dislike?
If you could pick ONE of these players to make the team, please say why.

Note: This thread is meant to discuss ONLY these players, and not to compare them to (Q, Kindl, Lashoff). Just pretend there was 1 spot open. Lets talk only about these prospects here.

Also try to use ONLY the preseason games as a measuring stick: (How are they playing RIGHT NOW?)

Wirtaneh

In Mantha we trust
Aug 10, 2014
Finland
Ouellet and Backman looked awesome in those games they played in the same pair. Of these two, I'd give Backman a shot in the big game. He has better speed and shot than Ouellet and their defensive game is pretty much the same level with each other.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Ouellet has gotten big minutes and looked comfortable with them. He's kinda set the bar for the others heading into the second half of preseason.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Ouellet has gotten big minutes and looked comfortable with them. He's kinda set the bar for the others heading into the second half of preseason.

Its a disgrace that Ouellet isn't on the team right now. He looks like a veteran out there. He's not Danny Dekeyser-level composed yet, but more composed than half our current regulars I would say. And the depressing thing is the one thing he needs to work on is making decisions with the puck under extreme pressure. Not just AHL-level pressure or even typical NHL pressure, but in situations where premier NHL forecheckers are on his ass. Is he going to learn that in the AHL? Absolutely not.

As for the other guys, Backman has picked up where he left off last year and Sproul...I don't know why I thought he'd come into camp and be much better in his own end than he was to end the season last year, but he clearly needs more time in the AHL.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Jensen looked fantastic last night. Ouellet had a very "human" night to be honest. But it happens, especially with rookies. The growing pains with Smith, Ericsson were incredible. You just have to hope that after a couple seasons they iron out.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Chuck Pleiness has a clip of Babcock talking to reporters after practice today on his twitter. In regards to the young D:

- Backman is a good player but going to have to spend the year in the minors to get stronger and learn NA.

- The guys pushing for a spot are Ouellet and Marchenko, and Jensen has been a real surprise. And Sproul's a good player. He thought there were 4 players but there's actually 5.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Jensen had a great game in Toronto - Many mentions of his name in the game day thread.

Ouellet had some mistakes and only looked medium, but he still logged huge minutes this game indicating he could be getting the hardest look of any of these D men.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Chuck Pleiness has a clip of Babcock talking to reporters after practice today on his twitter. In regards to the young D:

- Backman is a good player but going to have to spend the year in the minors to get stronger and learn NA.

- The guys pushing for a spot are Ouellet and Marchenko, and Jensen has been a real surprise. And Sproul's a good player. He thought there were 4 players but there's actually 5.

It would be interesting to see where that roster spot would come from since Babcock's already said Kindl and Lashoff are safe. Or is he so unimpressed by the forwards that we could carry 8 D instead?

edit: any chance we begin the year with Datsyuk on the IR to create an extra roster spot? I don't know. Just curious the different ways we could with the roster if we decide we like one of the D enough to keep them up for an extra week or two as one of the vets either solidify a spot or lose it entirely.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
It would be interesting to see where that roster spot would come from since Babcock's already said Kindl and Lashoff are safe. Or is he so unimpressed by the forwards that we could carry 8 D instead?

By pushing he has to mean pushing to be the first call up. That's really the only way to look at it. Either an injury or a complete implosion by Kindl/Lashoff would force a call up.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
By pushing he has to mean pushing to be the first call up. That's really the only way to look at it. Either an injury or a complete implosion by Kindl/Lashoff would force a call up.

I'm repeating myself from another thread but I really wish they never signed Quincey. With the amount of quality young AHL defenseman they have they should have just gone with the other 6, leaving a roster spot for someone to actually "grab their piece of the pie", or whatever Babs says. Even if one of these guys beats out Quincey/Kindl/Lashoff how are they going to fit on the roster? It's not like Holland to dump a player.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Lashoff having a safe spot makes total sense to me, because he is cheap/ nhl proven (even if not great) and young enough that he may still improve a bit.

If he has to be waived at some point, we don't get hit with an cap repercussions. That's a perfect #7 dman.

Kindl on the other hand is a bit infuriating, because he played so poorly last year, that his job should be on the line if one one of the kids beats him out.

And the Quincey signing is a hot mess.

Now with that said I don't think any of the young guys are at the point where another season in the AHL is going to kill them. Its not like they are in a Smith or even Ericsson position. The problem is that we have too many young dmen, that are all going to graduate at the same time.

Jensen- Age 24 (Waiver Eligibilty, 2 years or 60 games)
Oulette- Age 21 (Waiver Eligibilty, 2 years or 155 games)
Backman- Age 21 (Waiver Eligibilty, 2 years or 80 games)
Sproul- Age 21 (Waiver Eligibilty, 2 years or 159 games)
Marchenko- Age 22 (Waiver Eligibilty, 2 years or 79 games)

They all run out of options after the 15/16 season. How in the heck are the Wings going to evaluate 5 guys, that are already close to being NHL regulars in terms of ability in a single season? This doesn't even take into account that unless something drastic happens we have at best 2 spots open with Smith, Dekeyser, Ericsson, and Kronner all here probably long term. Plus its not like the Wings are going to let two rookies play together on the bottom pair so really we have 1 spot per year open.

Sards

Sep 27, 2013
what I'm hoping is they are giving Kindl one final push to keep his job, and if he fails, bring up a kid permanently and trade/waive Kindl....hopefully

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

That's the "Wings management formula" like it has always been. Everybody knows from our contract situation (since the last Quincey signing) that there's already 7 guys signed. Like you said, they are competing for the callup chance.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
That's the "Wings management formula" like it has always been. Everybody knows from our contract situation (since the last Quincey signing) that there's already 7 guys signed. Like you said, they are competing for the callup chance.

Many optimistically believed that there would be a slight shift in the "Wings management formula."

The formula was partially exposed the past two seasons when young players made a huge difference: Nyquist/Dekeyser down the stretch in 13 and Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco, and Glendening last season.

These obvious impacts with the addition of Detroit's remarks immediately following the postseason elimination to Boston made it seem that the formula had been altered some.

GeoSacks

Sep 11, 2007
Southern Ontario.
Lashoff having a safe spot makes total sense to me, because he is cheap/ nhl proven (even if not great) and young enough that he may still improve a bit.

If he has to be waived at some point, we don't get hit with an cap repercussions. That's a perfect #7 dman.

Kindl on the other hand is a bit infuriating, because he played so poorly last year, that his job should be on the line if one one of the kids beats him out.

And the Quincey signing is a hot mess.

Now with that said I don't think any of the young guys are at the point where another season in the AHL is going to kill them. Its not like they are in a Smith or even Ericsson position. The problem is that we have too many young dmen, that are all going to graduate at the same time.

Jensen- Age 24 (Waiver Eligibilty, 2 years or 60 games)
Oulette- Age 21 (Waiver Eligibilty, 2 years or 155 games)
Backman- Age 21 (Waiver Eligibilty, 2 years or 80 games)
Sproul- Age 21 (Waiver Eligibilty, 2 years or 159 games)
Marchenko- Age 22 (Waiver Eligibilty, 2 years or 79 games)

They all run out of options after the 15/16 season. How in the heck are the Wings going to evaluate 5 guys, that are already close to being NHL regulars in terms of ability in a single season? This doesn't even take into account that unless something drastic happens we have at best 2 spots open with Smith, Dekeyser, Ericsson, and Kronner all here probably long term. Plus its not like the Wings are going to let two rookies play together on the bottom pair so really we have 1 spot per year open.

Last year, four defense prospects got time in the NHL. The year before that: Smith moved from call-up to full-time player, Dekeyser jumped right into the top-4, and Kindl moved from the press-box to the ice. Prior to that, we had a strong, healthy defense and little prospect depth but we still managed to get good looks at the best prospects (Smith, Kindl, Ericsson, Quincey, Meech).

In years past they even had guys like Huskins and Commodore riding the pine ahead of the prospects but the first call-ups in this season will be the kids. I'm sure anyone that earns it will have the opportunity to practice with the team and play at least a few NHL games.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Last year, four defense prospects got time in the NHL. The year before that: Smith moved from call-up to full-time player, Dekeyser jumped right into the top-4, and Kindl moved from the press-box to the ice. Prior to that, we had a strong, healthy defense and little prospect depth but we still managed to get good looks at the best prospects (Smith, Kindl, Ericsson, Quincey, Meech).

In years past they even had guys like Huskins and Commodore riding the pine ahead of the prospects but the first call-ups in this season will be the kids. I'm sure anyone that earns it will have the opportunity to practice with the team and play at least a few NHL games.

the problem is a few games isn't enough

they're gonna have to give up some of these guys,will get peanuts in return because they won't have many games in,and won't be able to make a properly informed decision who to toss again because of the lack of games

GeoSacks

Sep 11, 2007
Southern Ontario.
I think a few games, in addition to practice, minor leagues, and exhibition games, gives them a good chance to distinguish themselves.

DeKeyser got his "few games" and never looked back.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If XO doesn't make the team, it's hard to imagine him staying down for long with comments like this:

"He's just kind of an old-time player; he's got great hockey sense," coach Mike Babcock said. "The sum of the parts add up greater than anything. He just thinks so good. You look at him, he's not huge (6-1, 190), he's not an elite skater, he's just an elite thinker and plays right all the time.

"He just looks like a hockey player to me, looks like he's played here 10 years."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Same quote has followed him since he was 16 years old, he just gets it and is a coach's best friend. Mini-Vlasic never disappoints, they will add leadership when talking about him after a couple NHL seasons as well.

We could use another "elite thinker" on the blue line, in my opinion. That's for sure.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I think a few games, in addition to practice, minor leagues, and exhibition games, gives them a good chance to distinguish themselves.

DeKeyser got his "few games" and never looked back.

Is it? Do we really know enough about Pulkkinen, Ferraro, or Callahan yet? What if we had banked on Sheahan being the same tragically underwhelming player he was in his call-ups and AHL career prior to this past season and shipped him out? What if we didn't have the rash of injuries that forced us to call up Nyquist, despite the fact that he had already played a decent amount in the NHL? Why was a near-20 goal scorer in Tatar wasting away in the press box if the Wings had a good idea of who he was? Why did Jarnkrok look, at the very least, like a competent NHL center once he was shipped out for 20 games of Legwand and is now counted alongside Forsberg and Fiala as one of Nashville's best prospects?

If anything, the entire recent history of this organization suggests that not only do AHL/exhibition games, practices, and "a few games" fail to give you a good idea of a player's abilities, but neither does playing the guy in the NHL in a limited role, on a short leash, or in a dozen or so games spread out over an extended period of time that deprive said player from gaining any rhythm or learning the system.

I've lost track of how many times The Best Coach in the NHL has admitted surprise at how good our young guys are once he's seen them for an extended period of time. Call me crazy, but that doesn't exactly lend credence to the idea that limited viewings are "enough."

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We could use another "elite thinker" on the blue line, in my opinion. That's for sure.

They might put him down for a little bit to work on offense, but that is the only place he occasionally makes mistakes really.

I also actually wonder how big of steps they will take at the lower level. I believe in the slow play more than most, but honestly the Griffins are going to outclass the AHL by a substantial margin night in and night out. They showed a big taste of it last night, yes Kessel was gone but you were looking at Smith (who played awesome) and the AHL back-end and goalie that blanked a Leafs team fielding the rest of their top six and their top puck moving D-man.

There are areas that they can all work on, you always can. But that team is going to steamroll people as long as the up front guys develop and I think Frk is going to bounce back and Nosek certainly looks like he should take to the AHL quickly. Have the returning best rookie goal scorer in Red Wings/Griffins sharing era. While the offense gets sorted they have the best D and goalie combination in that league. It will be more about watching reads and things of that nature because the numbers are likely coming on that team. The AHL vets they signed are nothing to sneeze at either in terms of the players they are at that level. The Griffins should win 55 plus games and many will not be close in my opinion.

In order to develop the other four one really needs to be up. It stunts the developmental process of the other guys in all honesty. I will be very fascinated to watch what happens, but I think because of defensive readiness he should probably get the call full time already first. Marchenko and Jensen are the other two I would put in that position, I think both Sproul and Backman have things to work on physically and between the ears in terms of AHL hockey, I am not sure the other guys will get the developmental nurturing in the kind of blowouts we are likely to see in Grand Rapids and having five really muddies that even more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad