Speculation: Who has been the most disappointing forward for Team Canada?

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
I picked Kunitz but thinking about it now, I wish he wasn't even on the team and had no real expectations of him.

Another guy is Marleau, wtf is he doing on this team? We already have a slew of guys that can skate fast, and stickhandle and shoot. We don't need another soft listless guy like Marleau on the team. (How did he make it anyways....of course now he'll go out and score a hat trick against USA.)

I understand that the game is on big ice and hitting isn't a major component, but looking at Latvia, they were hitting everything that moved, and came close to an upset. Now maybe Canada hasn't gotten too aggressive because of their competition up to this point, (an exception could be made for Finland), and maybe they plan to ramp it up vs. USA but I'm doubtful. This whole team is skill and finesse without any grit whatsoever.

That extends all the way to the back end. Admittedly, Doughty, Weber and Subban will lay a good hit. But Bouwmeester, really? How is he on this team? Yuck.

I'm not suggesting they should go out there and hit everything that moves, but a small injection of life would be beneficial.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
I'm gonna hold off on voting until we, I don't know, actually lose a game.

Can't figure out how to edit the poll to keep it open until the end but as of right now its ending in about 10 hours. Mods help? Is it possible to change that?

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
I'd have to say Kunitz and MSL. I thought both guys would be great additions because of their hot starts to the season and veteran savvy, but Kunitz has looked slow and underskilled on the large ice, and MSL just looks small and hasn't converted any of the chances he's been getting.

The guys that have looked the most dangerous are the powerful guys that can skate, like Marleau, Crosby, Nash. I thought Duchene looked good when he played. I'm surprised he's been the odd man out.

Amused To Death

Nov 6, 2009
Victoria
I don't know about Crosby being a disappointment. He's used to getting huge minutes, and just hasn't been getting them. He's the closest thing we've got to Gretzky, staple some relative-plug like Marleau, Nash and Kunitz to the bench for 5 extra minutes and give that time to Crosby.

SpecialK139

Bo Hor-fat
Aug 8, 2012
Burnaby
for me to choose Kunitz, I would need to be expecting things from him in the first place.

Therefore, Crosby. Let's see that generational talent put to use for a team I can cheer for...

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
I don't know about Crosby being a disappointment. He's used to getting huge minutes, and just hasn't been getting them. He's the closest thing we've got to Gretzky, staple some relative-plug like Marleau, Nash and Kunitz to the bench for 5 extra minutes and give that time to Crosby.

this is something I was thinking about aswell, How many times do you see Crosby go for a linechange in the offensive zone when Canada has the puck and is looking dangerous, this guys are not being selfish and its very nice to see. I'm not worried about Crosby at all, Nash however has been completely useless, at least Crosby battles hard and is not a liability defensively

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Nash has been on of Canada's best guys for going to the net. He's probably done the best job of standing in front of the goalie and creating traffic, imo.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
****ing Eh Crosby! Way to Go, Crosby, Toews, Getzlaf and Benn the Four Best Forwards for Canada... WOOO!! Go Canada Go!! 3 of the last 4 Gold Medals.. Feels Good! Nice Goal Sid!

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Even if a lot of our forwards weren't finding the net, they all bought into the team defense concept and mistakes leading to goals against were rare.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
I rarely post, and this is totally opposite of what the op has asked, but I feel marleau took a ton of lumps being named to the team, and he was one of the top 3-4 fwds throughout the tourney for canada.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I rarely post, and this is totally opposite of what the op has asked, but I feel marleau took a ton of lumps being named to the team, and he was one of the top 3-4 fwds throughout the tourney for canada.

I really liked the Marleau pick, along with Carter. Those were moneyball choices by Stevie Y. Kunitz, on the other hand... don't care if he scored in the gold medal game - he probably had the most chances out of Canadian forwards, but the least finish, and wasn't particularly useful in Canada's shutdown game.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
I really liked the Marleau pick, along with Carter. Those were moneyball choices by Stevie Y. Kunitz, on the other hand... don't care if he scored in the gold medal game - he probably had the most chances out of Canadian forwards, but the least finish, and wasn't particularly useful in Canada's shutdown game.

really? Don't care?? You do know what they say about 2 goal leads right?

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
This team deserves a lot of credit, they all came to play. Even the guys that were barely playing were ready when their numbers were called. Proud day for Canada and Canadian hockey.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Yup agree, I was happy with every player today Rick Nash looked awesome with Duchene and St. Louis... Lets say we lock up this thread.. Proud day for Canada is right!

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I'm going to guess that the majority of voting in this thread was done before the gold medal game.

But pretty embarrassing nonetheless. Anyone actually watching Crosby would have seen him dominating in the offensive zone.

Wetcoaster

All of them.

Not a single Canadian forward made the All-Star team.

I am so disappoint. :cry:

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
I'm going to guess that the majority of voting in this thread was done before the gold medal game.

But pretty embarrassing nonetheless. Anyone actually watching Crosby would have seen him dominating in the offensive zone.

You are correct, sir.

The problem. Is, too many people just watch for goals and assists and don't take into account what actually goes into winning hockey games.

I'll take Crosby with one goal and a gold medal every time.

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
Wow, this poll is a joke.

Even before the final game there is no reason for it, I am embarrassed for this sub forum.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Wow, this poll is a joke.

Even before the final game there is no reason for it, I am embarrassed for this sub forum.

I agree with you, get your pitchforks and find OP! But seriously I'm embarrassed too, sometimes I overreact... Sorry TC.. But I was never disappointed in Crosby not in any of the games. Only Nash

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
They all played average. We won because of our amazing defense. We got the timely goals.

My hate for Crosby is gone, I love this guy he is just clutch and shows so much heart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad