Who goes at the trade deadline?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Depending on where we are drafting, there appears to be a significant lack of D past Hanifin and Kylington at the top of the draft lists right now. If we continue to suck I'm hoping we at least qualify for the third pick.

So given that I'm a bit leery of giving up too much of our D at the deadline.

Dednimnepo

Winning is the Fun
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus
Atkinson - I think he gets us the best return
Anisimov - If a contender needs a center then he's first
The waiver wire crowd and the 4 liners - if we get something back.
Hold the rest unless it's a big over payment.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
My problem with trading guys like JMFJ, Atkinson, Hartnell - who exactly are you planning to replace them with?

If we've learned anything, it's that what depth we have isn't NHL ready. We also lack scoring, something that is somewhat of a strength with Atkinson and to some degree Hartnell.

I'm pretty sure it isn't meant this way, but it kind of sounds like some want to 'blow it up' or think that moving guys is necessary. I'm not sure I agree with that at all. I do agree with trading from positions of strength or depth (C, D) if it means beefing up positions of weakness (W, D), but only then. As far as UFA's go, it all depends on what Foligno wants. Letestu, as much as I like him, is probably gone unless they can sign him and deal Anisimov. I just don't see both remaining here and Letestu is likely cheaper and a bit more versatile - but not quite as good as Arty.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Two little things I'd do differently: 1) Hartnell probably has negative trade value because of the length of his contract. I think we should keep him if that's the case, rather than retaining a lot of salary. 2) I wouldn't be opposed to getting a defender at the draft, even if it's not Hanifin. Murray's struggles should alert us that we don't have a sure-bet top pair guy in the long run.

Agreed about Hartnell. I don't mean dump him, he's obviously a valuable player and part of the team. I mean see if you can get a good return for him. If not, keep him.

As for drafting a defensemen, I don't know if there's any great defensemen besides Hanifin. I know 2015 is strong at forward which is why I would recommend adding one if we aren't in the #3 spot.

Atkinson is still an RFA. Even with arbitration, I think he'll be fairly cheap and I like the skill set he brings (especially if he becomes more consistent). Foligno is obviously a valuable member of this team and I also think keeping him is the right move. I would arguably keep Foligno over signing a slightly better (on paper) free agent for the same money given Foligno is a known substance and plays the style that this team is focusing on.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Depending on where we are drafting, there appears to be a significant lack of D past Hanifin and Kylington at the top of the draft lists right now. If we continue to suck I'm hoping we at least qualify for the third pick.

So given that I'm a bit leery of giving up too much of our D at the deadline.
You're forgetting about Zach Werenski

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Agreed about Hartnell. I don't mean dump him, he's obviously a valuable player and part of the team. I mean see if you can get a good return for him. If not, keep him.

As for drafting a defensemen, I don't know if there's any great defensemen besides Hanifin. I know 2015 is strong at forward which is why I would recommend adding one if we aren't in the #3 spot.

Atkinson is still an RFA. Even with arbitration, I think he'll be fairly cheap and I like the skill set he brings (especially if he becomes more consistent). Foligno is obviously a valuable member of this team and I also think keeping him is the right move. I would arguably keep Foligno over signing a slightly better (on paper) free agent for the same money given Foligno is a known substance and plays the style that this team is focusing on.
Kylington and Werenski are looking like solid top 15 picks, Ivan Provorov too but slightly less so.

Last edited:

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
Wiz. He is a defensive liability and part of the problem.

Not even. Did you miss a few weeks ago against the Flyers where he was in the paint and saved a goal? Or the multiple times he's cleared the puck off the goal line?

A year ago I may have agreed with you, but since last season he has really improved defensively, and actually offensively as well, hence why he was 2nd in points for us in the 13-14 season.

I don't see why so many of you want to trade Wiz. Our PP wouldn't even be in the top half of the NHL if not for him. Who the hell would replace him?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
You're forgetting about Zach Werenski

He is ranked highly by ISS and Craig Button; he wasn't in MacKenzie's top 16 pre-season. Seems to be a guy that warrants keeping an eye on if we fall out of the top 3 picks.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Foligno is obviously a valuable member of this team and I also think keeping him is the right move. I would arguably keep Foligno over signing a slightly better (on paper) free agent for the same money given Foligno is a known substance and plays the style that this team is focusing on.

Which of these guys (UFA forwards) do you think is better than Foligno?

And which of those do you think we have a shot at?

Not that I wouldn't try to Soderberg, Frolik, and Glencross, but there isn't a player on that list that we can sign and fully compensate for losing Foligno.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
the fact that we are debating this at the end of November.....:help:

It's mind boggling. It's like nobody is aware this team is missing a huge chunk of its core.

By the start of 2015, this team SHOULD be completely healthy *knock on wood* ( oustide of Horton obviously ). The trade deadline isn't until late February if I'm not mistaken. That leaves plenty of time to assess this team.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Not even. Did you miss a few weeks ago against the Flyers where he was in the paint and saved a goal? Or the multiple times he's cleared the puck off the goal line?

A year ago I may have agreed with you, but since last season he has really improved defensively, and actually offensively as well, hence why he was 2nd in points for us in the 13-14 season.

I don't see why so many of you want to trade Wiz. Our PP wouldn't even be in the top half of the NHL if not for him. Who the hell would replace him?

I agree. I'm really surprised how he's improved.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

Wiz is the key to the team's power play success and is one of the best puck movers on the team. His ability to keep the puck in the offensive zone is uncanny. There are not many defensemen out there wth that talent and the ones who do make a lot more than Wiz.

I figure Foligno, Letestu and Leopold get traded unless they re-sign before the deadline.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Which of these guys (UFA forwards) do you think is better than Foligno?

And which of those do you think we have a shot at?

Not that I wouldn't try to Soderberg, Frolik, and Glencross, but there isn't a player on that list that we can sign and fully compensate for losing Foligno.
Yep. Looking like Foligno is setting himself up to be the premier free agent of 2015. Certainly helps out our negotiations :help:

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
He is ranked highly by ISS and Craig Button; he wasn't in MacKenzie's top 16 pre-season. Seems to be a guy that warrants keeping an eye on if we fall out of the top 3 picks.
Yeah, he's a really late birthday and already has NHL size. Doesn't turn 18 until July 19th.. a good while after the draft.

He's a guy that, because of his birthday, may take a year longer for us to develop than someone born in say, October 1996, but if he's already this good when he's this young then just imagine down the line.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I'll echo others here that I think both Foligno and Letestu are part of the solution, and I hope they both get re-signed soon. However, if they don't, and we don't have a realistic chance at the playoffs come deadline time, then they have to be traded to get assets back.

I believe Hartnell's NMC transferred over, so that would make any trade involving him harder. I don't see him going anywhere this year.

thebus2288*

Both

Whose man do you think it is that are shooting all these pucks that Wiz is saving off the goal line? Savard is ready to play the big minutes that Johnson and Wisniewski play. We still need Murray and Tyutin.

I agree. I'm really surprised how he's improved.

No, he hasn't. Just because he's not getting points, NOW the go to defense is "he's not as bad defensively". So every other defenseman is a big reason why we're not doing well, but not Wiz. Right?

Wiz is the key to the team's power play success and is one of the best puck movers on the team. His ability to keep the puck in the offensive zone is uncanny. There are not many defensemen out there wth that talent and the ones who do make a lot more than Wiz.

Yup 1 of the best puck movers....behind Savard, Murray, Johnson, Cannauton, Erixon and Tyutin/Leopold on a good day. The last 2 sentences are just :amazed:

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
Savard is ready to play the big minutes that Johnson and Wisniewski play.

No, no he isn't. He needs more experience at this level.

Yup 1 of the best puck movers....behind Savard, Murray, Johnson, Cannauton, Erixon and Tyutin/Leopold on a good day. The last 2 sentences are just :amazed:

If you truly believe this, then you really are clueless. You don't get 40+ assists and 51 points as a defenseman without being a good puck mover.

Your argument is invalid and makes absolutely no sense.

thebus2288*

All I'll say is that if we were to trade Johnson, or even Tyutin, I think very soon after we would realize the "hole" that we would have with them gone. They are very important to the team. If Wiz was traded for the same type of return I don't think that "hole" would be as big as some(most still?) think.

I can honestly see Foligno AND Letestu being traded at the deadline if we're still "way" out of it. I also think if that happened we could see both guys sign with us again over the summer. I think you guys might be surprised how much we could get for either guy just as a rental. Foligno would get us a solid prospect/young player and a 1st easy. Letestu possibly a 2nd. I also think both guys are due for big raises.

I like Cannauton and Leopold. Legit 3rd pairing. Have been disappointed in both Atkinson and Calvert. Trading Anisimov-unless packaged with something ++ for a "good" return(akanoteberle)-will not make us a better team. Not defensively. Not offensively. Let Anisimov center the third line for the near future. When healthy have Jenner and Letestu/Calvert/Atkinson on his wing. Jenner is a winger. I liked what I saw from Dano, and what Rychel brings. Wennberg not so much.

Atkinson+Wennberg for ?
Wiz+Atkinson for ?

thebus2288*

No, no he isn't. He needs more experience at this level.

If you truly believe this, then you really are clueless. You don't get 40+ assists and 51 points as a defenseman without being a good puck mover.

Your argument is invalid and makes absolutely no sense.

Savard is better than Johnson AND Wisniewski, RIGHT NOW.

The PP time he had helped beef up them numbers, I'm telling you. Lots of assists on Johansen's "individual" goals too.

Wisniewski has had just as many OMG moments as Prout and Johnson this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad